HELP..Trike hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100_3128.JPG
100_3127.JPG
A neighbor asked me to check out a used Schwinn trike....It looked brand new! Nubs still on tires...She rode it, liked it, asked me my opinion, I said I'd buy (price:$125)...The only rust was on the drive gear.....She rode it today and it started free wheeling, then it would catch....I've got it apart, never worked on a trike before. It's obviously the rusted drive gear...Any advice on how to remove, repair or replace it...Where would I get that gear...Thanks

I Figured if I had to remove it, I'd better saturate it with WD-40...Well now I can't get it to freewheel....Possible that's all it needed?....

I would guess it just needs to be repacked with grease. You might need a better penetrator to loosen it (if you can find it, the best stuff I've ever used was from when I worked on salt water boats—ZEP 45 or ZEP PLS. Probably over double the price of PD Blaster, but the can is large and it seems like every drop comes out, so it lasts a long time . . . or that's the way it used to be when I last had to get a can in 2005. Still in use.), but I found this handy video on taking them apart:

Oh, heck yeah! Those little pawls inside are probably all sticky. I usually drench the clutch assembly with Tri-Flow. The WD-40 will work for a while, but it isn't as long lasting as most true lubricants.

Oh, heck yeah! Those little pawls inside are probably all sticky. I usually drench the clutch assembly with Tri-Flow. The WD-40 will work for a while, but it isn't as long lasting as most true lubricants.
Thanks..After It started working with the WD40..I just took some automotive gear lube and let it soak into the bearings and clutch assembly...Put it back together, and it seems fine....thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back