my 1st build, what to name it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Im new here, and have been doing a lot of reading and gathering ideas... And I noticed most everyone "names" their bikes. I plan on doing a build thread, but before that happens I need to come up with a name for my project.

Its a 26" Murray Westport, and In the following pic you can see the forks I will be using, planning on sticking with a whitewall tire, the bike will have a tank, laid back seat post, etc. For color... Im thinking of having the frame and stuff powdercoated a flat burgundy with some added patina. I want it to look like an old racer.

bike5.jpg

And yeah the seat is kinda uncomfortable, but that will change!

So lets hear some name ideas :mrgreen:

How about the "Don't sit down!" or maybe "Pole position" Just kidding :lol: I like the forks on it, should be an interesting build when done.

pop cycle :mrgreen:

Tough one, looks awsome though! I just noticed the forks and I gave one of those bikes to a friend and am now kickin' myself.

a name huh :|

the bundy bike (shortened burgandy)
Ron (after Ron Burgandy)
the Haysville Flat Tracker (hometown + kansas is flat ?right? + racerish)
sorry, i tried :lol:

Good work so far.

How about - The Bad Apple for a name?

Westporter, not bad, keeps it simple.
Haysville Flat Tracker... HFT for short... I like it

I was kinda leaning towards a name like "Butt Hurt" since Im catching a lot of flack for the pic with the seat off..lol butt..err BUT thats probably not a good idea.

Speed Racer
Tarmac
The Tarmac Tramp
The Leadville Flyer
The Uber Goober
The Sprocket Rocket
The Ironworks

People ask for names, I come up with great names, but nobody else ever likes 'em.

you should be able to think of a name for your bike. I usually dont name my bikes until im done or it just comes to me. continue with your build and Im sure it will come to you. If it doesnt then, umm

leosbikes said:
you should be able to think of a name for your bike. I usually dont name my bikes until im done or it just comes to me. continue with your build and Im sure it will come to you. If it doesnt then, umm

Well... if I had to name it when I was done it would be something like "Knuckle buster" oh wait... that could be the name of any of my projects..lol

Oh ill come up with something, Im liking the ideas so far.

Hey Ratfink1962, I'm an old Kansas guy here (Hays and Oberlin). You should try what I call "The First Ride Rule".

What that means is, after all the time you spend building a bike, when you take it for a ride, something always happens that gives the bike a name. For example, my bike's names are:

Mr. Pringles - I bent the rear tire into the shape of a Pringle's chip the first time out. It's better now.
toecracker - I moved the living room furniture to make room for the bike and then broke a toe by smacking it into a table after the lights were turned off.
Silent But Deadly - The tire went flat in a bad part of town (It's Cleveland, so there's a lot of bad parts).
Sweet Honey Heartbreaker - The bike, an early 50's women's JC Higgins Color Flow with a beehive springer and sweetheart sprocket, literally hypnotized a cute young punk girl. It's a long story. That was a short ride.
Double Bubble - A '57 Roadmaster who's paint always bubbles in the same spot.
The Cat's Meow - A '70's Raleigh road bike where I interrupted two neighborhood cats gettin' busy when I brought it home after the inaugural ride.
Cricket - A quickly modified craigslist bike who's front springer fork sounded like I was riding through a field of crickets until I could get it greased. I almost called it Wedgie until I got the seat fixed.

Nice build by the way, especially for the first time out. That is going to be one sweet ride, and be sure to post some vanity pics in the gallery section when it's done.

Latest posts

Back