The fall of ebay is coming

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The greedy little company is at it again. As a seller if you have a transaction through paypal they put a 21 day hold on your funds, you are still expected to ship the item (without recieving funds) to the buyer. If the buyer gives you positive feedback the money is released sooner, if they report a problem your money is withheld longer and possibly refunded to the buyer who the item you shipped to them already. And soon paypal will be the only form of payment allowed on ebay, no M.O.s or checks. As a seller you have absolutely no rights, I was mad when they no longer allowed sellers to leave negative feedback on bad buyers, this latest rule is just ubsurd. I think ebay just bit the hand that feeds them and people that rely on selling items on ebay for monthly income (like myself) will find another auction site to use. I've been selling a collection of toy trains for a close friend who is desperate for money to pay his medical bills, now I have to put in my auctions "Payment via paypal will require a 21 day delay before item is shipped" and he has to wait an extra 21+ days just to get his money. Ebay has turned into a dictator, heil ebay :x

that sucks.

Man on man...they are insane.

Someone over at CraigsList needs to kick it into high gear and offer a free auction service....man wouldn't that put the hurt on the giant. :shock:

It is absolutely ridiculous. I just sold two trains last night and have to wait 21 days just to get the money to my friend who is battling emphysema and lung cancer. One train is going to Germany so the buyer won't even see the train for at least a month. There's no way I'm going to ship items out that I haven't been paid for. There's a lot of bad buyers on ebay that will take advantage of this new paypal rule and give good sellers a bad name. It's a real shame because there's a lot of good ebay members that have a great reputation, they probably make their entire income on selling on ebay and now they're getting penalized for no reason. I see a new auction website coming in the near future.

I recieved nothing about it. I got on paypal last night to transfer my funds to my bank account to find the hold on my money. I emailed ebay last and they sent me the info about the 21 day hold. They claim it makes ebay safer for buyers and sellers :roll:

Here's what I found on PayPal just now.

Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement
Effective Date: March 14, 2008

Beginning March 14, 2008, the PayPal User Agreement is being amended to include a new section 10.4 as follows:

10.4 eBay Item Hold.

eBay item hold. PayPal, in its sole discretion, may place a hold on a payment you receive for an eBay transaction when PayPal believes there may be a high level of risk associated with the transaction. If PayPal places a hold on your payment, it will show as "pending" in your PayPal Account.

Release of eBay item hold. PayPal will release the eBay item hold after 21 days unless you receive a Dispute, Claim, Chargeback, or Reversal on the transaction subject to the hold. PayPal may release the hold earlier if either of the following applies:

(a) The buyer leaves positive feedback on eBay, or

(b) PayPal can confirm delivery. PayPal will confirm delivery if you use USPS or FedEx to ship the item and (i) use PayPal shipping labels, or (ii) upload tracking information to PayPal via the transaction details page. This applies to US domestic transactions only.

Additional hold period. If you receive a Dispute, Claim, Chargeback, or Reversal on the transaction subject to the eBay item hold, PayPal may hold the payment in your Account until the matter is resolved pursuant to this Agreement.

I just sold some Harley parts last week. Acutions ended monday, I was payed and all parts shipped out Friday. Maybe its a random thing and your number was pulled...

Yeah, that's what I recieved Ratrod. I love section b: if they can confim delivery using shipping methods where you have to buy a shipping label through paypal. Just more money for paypal. I've been selling trains for months now and neither myself or the other buyers are "high risk" I guess anyone selling a high dollar item is high risk.

Muddywater: I just sold a stingray chainguard saturday and the paypal was instant and smooth. I was just talking to a friend who sells bikes and he is having the same 21 day hold problem. He sold a schwinn corvette, shipped it without recieving money, the buyer wasn't happy with the original bike having scratches :roll: and left negative feedback. He may never see his money. If they're just pulling ramdom members, they're pulling a lot of them.

This is the part that I'm wondering about...

PayPal, in its sole discretion, may place a hold on a payment you receive for an eBay transaction when PayPal believes there may be a high level of risk associated with the transaction.

I wonder what the criteria is for making a transaction "high risk"?

Bad feedback rating, selling to folks outside the U.S., bad PayPal history?

That's what i wonder about too. I'm 100% member since last october with a feedback of 24. I've never had any problems with any tranactions and all of my buyers are very pleased with my selling/shipping. And for people like you Steve with a longer history and higher feedback is going to kill your sales, who's going to wait 21 days for their item to ship and who's going to ship without recieving payment? The only high risk people are new buyers/sellers and buyers /sellers with low or bad feedback.

Yeah, sounds like we need to start warning people in our auction details that if PayPal randomly deems the transaction to be high risk then we as sellers won't ship until payment has been confirmed...which could be as much as 21 days. :roll:

I had payment held on some bike parts. I had to enter my shipping info and then paypal waits for a delivery conf.

You have to ship the item to enable paypal to release the fund to you.
Bad policy but I don't think sellers will be hurt in the long run. The only problem is you don't have access to your paypal funds when connected to your Bank account to help pay for shipping. So your wife might get upset when you start using the milk money to pay shipping. I try my hardest to keep my bike money separate.

Yeah I dont agree that this spells the end of the giant. I do agree that its ridiculous and they are really pushing the limits of there users. I have been selling stuff on ebay for about 10 years and have sold maybe 8000 individual items. In just 2003 I sold over a half a million bucks worth of stuff. ( I started an ebay program for the company I worked for) And over the years eBay has done lots of stupid things... Things that sent shockwaves through the users and pissed off tens of thousands of people.... And ebay got bigger. I can remember when they started charging $20 listing fee for machinery item regardless of starting price. There were items worth $100 that if you wanted it in the proper category it would cost $20 to list.... And the fee's have gone up so much... I can remember getting ebay statements saying I owed thousands of dollars in fees... But the truth of the matter was it was still worth it because there was no other way to get the kind of money i was getting for the stuff I was selling. eBay is it.... They are big enough that if someone comes along (and they are smart enough to see it) that is better, cheaper or what ever... they will destroy them. The reason why ebay works is because they are the place. If you want to find some off the wall odd part... ebay is the go to place. There have been lots of other auction sites that have come and gone... Unless its backed by Google or Microsoft I dont think even a far superior site could hold a chance. If they could offer a free service it might put some hurt on ebays hold... But who could or would offer a free service? I mean the only reason craigslist works is because they have a listing revinue from job postings.. As a side not I hardly sell anything anymore. I have sold maybe a dozen items in the last year and probably wont be selling anything in the near future. For me it just came down to it takes to much time. I charge $95/hour for my time at the shop and I am always busy... so taking an hour to take pictures and sell a $100 part actually means I am getting nothing for it. Because I would have made $100 doing something else and I would still have the part... So unless I am going to make big money its just not worth it... And I don't have anything i want to part with that i could make big money on.... I still spend plenty of money on ebay though.... most of the time on stuff I really don't need or shouldn't be buying... And probably wouldn't buy if it was sitting in front of me on a swap meet table for the same price. But every night I run my dozen or so searches for my "stuff" and bid on something...

Anyway.... I do support your assessment. I think its retarded that they want to be so controlling. eBay started basically as a place for buyers and sellers to get together and has turned into the largest market place in the solar system. about 6 years ago I participated in a eBay run seminar and then they said they conducted over a million dollars a minute in transactions world wide.... think about that... 60 million an hour 1.4 billion a day.... a trillion a week..... Just think what you could do with that kind of cash flow..... And think about this.. Who has the only successful private space program? Elon Musk (AKA Space X) The co founder of PayPal.... They are now building space ships NASA will use to go the the space station when they retire the Shuttle in 2010... they put a ship into space just this last week.... I would guess you have to have some money behind you to do those sort of things....

I think this will hurt ebay severely. With the way the economy is right now people can't wait weeks for their income. I'm out of work right now suffering from vertigo, I depend on selling things on ebay to pay medical bills and living costs. I can't wait 21 days for my money, and I'm sure as heck not going to ship my item if I don't have my money in my account. I just don't have that kind of trust in strangers to wait for a positive feedback so I can get my money. There are plenty of jerks on ebay who would give bad feedback or none at all just for the sake of being a jerk and keeping the buyer from getting their money. This hold doesn't protect buyers and sellers, it gives buyers unnecessary power to control the sellers. The one buyer of my latest auction was nice enough to give me positive feedback in order to get things moving along faster. That is a lot to ask of a buyer who has not even recieved their item yet, and all of this hassle just to be able to get my money and ship the item out. Ridiculous.

I sold an item last week and got my money right away. A guy from Tokyo won my auction and sent $450 via Paypal. I had his package in the mail two hours later and marked it on my Ebay summary as "Item shipped." I had no problems transferring his payment into my bank account. It went into my checking account within 3 business days.

**UPDATE**
I just read that the policy only affects people with less than 100 feedback responses or poor feedback. Makes sense since my feedback is around the 150 mark.

Where did you see that? I guess that explains why you and others haven't experianced this. Does that mean that I as a seller and my buyers have to suffer until I have a feedback of 100? I'm not sure if I want to deal with that for 76 more sales :roll:

If I had to bet...I would think that CraigsList is about the only one in the market right now who could give Ebay a run for their money. I'm sure they have lost some money already on folks who would have used Ebay to sell things like cars, real estate, electronics, etc. They would just need to figure out a way to build the auction option into their pre-existing classified system. Money is obviously not their main agenda since they have turned down some pretty heavy duty offers for the business. Who ever thought they could offer a nationwide classified system that allows you to post photos and not have advertising plastered all over everything all for free?

It's fun to ponder anyway. :wink:

Thanks for the link Kansas, looks like more ridiculous bunk. I have never heard of that DSR (detailed seller rating) and would never expect my buyers to waist their time filling it out. I'm a good seller with a perfect feedback rating, but not a 100+ sales. I don't understand why that makes me a bad seller. The sad thing is I still have like 10 trains to sell and I'm going to have to put a long disclaimer on my auctions about paypal payments possibly taking 21 days to clear. I wish I could set up my auctions to only accept money orders or certified checks.

I love craigslist, but it's more of an online yardsale. You can't expect to sell high dollar stuff for a fair price.

Latest posts

Back