Rockafella - 1953 Ruff Firestone Super Cruiser - Finished Thread - 3rd Place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a BO bike in the past named "RUNVS" (are you envious)...That should be on that bike somewhere.

Been waiting to see this build! Love it man! Perfect blend of old and new.

Another killer kingfish creation. Love the concept and you really nailed it. Pic in front of the theater looks like it's actually from the fifties.

Every time I see it I have to remind myself its a Ruff frame.. amazing job!!

Liked this bike from day one! Perfect combo of parts. The colors bring me right back to the 50's and 60's, which I lived...and loved. This bike just makes me feel good.....Thanks KF

Unbelievable blend of color, new, old, panache, baddddd-assness and swagger. Love it!

Perfect meddling of new & old. Colors & Doodadery are insanely cool.

Thanks guys. I couldn't be happier with how successful the Fifties Clingon Cloaking has worked. Riding around, people really think it's an old bike.

I don't think you pushed it over the edge enough...not like your previous builds. I think the "finesse" bug finally bit you? Excellent style and build sir!

Thanks Carlton. I think you are closer to the truth. The bars may be wild, but they are 1930s replicas, so how wacky can they be. They totally fit the style of the build though.

Can't wait to see you join us again next year!!!! It's been too long brother!

Outstanding work again this year! I can see why you like to ride it everywhere. Looks comfortable and awesomely cool.

The flow from fender to fender and the classic colors work so well! You could hang an ENVY license plate on it and anyone who see' s it will nod in agreement.

Great job! [emoji106]

I had a BO bike in the past named "RUNVS" (are you envious)...That should be on that bike somewhere.

Thanks guys, guess I need to get some plates made. :)

Nice and mundane

If I ever build a truly mundane or boring build, you guys can put me out to pasture. :)

So much cool detail and rat-itude. I love the bike.

Prefect combo of classy and modern.

It was fun finding that balance, and I loved the original paint from the start. It was a bonus surprise on Saturday when I saw how well the fenders cleaned and polished out. I was expecting them to pop even more.

I have to give a big shout out to Patina kustoms. For the second year in a row my brother @karfer67 has hooked me up with some sick bars for my Rat Rod Build Off Bike. From the start of this build I have planned on using a set of his Felby bars. When I was finally able to put them on this weekend, I was blown away at the coolness of them. Riding with them was even better. It's hard to explain how cool those sweeping forward curves are. Here are some pics of his sport Felbys on Rockafella.

20170807_110658 (2).jpg
20170807_111352 (2).jpg
20170807_111201 (2).jpg
20170807_111402 (2).jpg

I'm making each one of my favorite BO bikes, the desktop background on my computer, for 3 days each. Your bike is one of them.

I'm making each one of my favorite BO bikes, the desktop background on my computer, for 3 days each. Your bike is one of them.

Oh cool! I'm honored brother! Return to the 50s

58410_1d32e92cc987f3a26d39a5f6e5a2d720.jpg

Very cool build I like it!! those bars are a great fit to it and man your city looks great with all the cool old buildings ect in your background shots just may have to visit there sometime to check out the sights and I think I may have to get a set of them bars and build a bike around them:)

Very cool build I like it!! those bars are a great fit to it and man your city looks great with all the cool old buildings ect in your background shots just may have to visit there sometime to check out the sights and I think I may have to get a set of them bars and build a bike around them:)

I would love to cruise around and show you my beautiful city! Come on down to cruise and talk bikes!
Hit @karfer67 up for those bars or some of his other designs. He'll do you right!

I took Rockafella out for a ride this afternoon and had the coolest experience. Earlier in the park, a nice Asian tourist asked to take some pics of my bike.

20170812_185959 (2).jpg

Later, I was waiting at the fountain for someone to come by that could take a ride video for me. It turns out that him and his family are visiting from Hanoi, Vietnam. This was too cool since we were in Hanoi when the Build Off started!!!! So here is the ride video he did for me. You can hear them talk as I go around the fountain. (Those are loud insects you hear in the background).

Afterwards I asked if they wanted a picture taken and the guy asked if they could include Rockafella in the photo. How cool is this!! Only in Savannah!! I love my city!

20170812_191918(0).jpg

He was having so much fun sitting on it, I told him to go ahead and ride it around. Even though the geometry is a bit stretched for him, he rode it like a champ around the fountain.

Parts List for Rockafella
Thanks to all of the guys that I bought or traded with to get this cool parts to build Rockafella!

Ruff Dean frame - @Jarod24
Shelby Springer fork - @Jarod24
Felby handlebars - @karfer67
Ladies Firestone Super Cruiser donor bike - Lucky (my local salvage guy)
Perfect match Gumby green Flexgrip grips - @Dr. Tankenstein
Felt 24x3 whitewall Thick Brick El Guapo wheelset - @DJ-FADES
Monark rear fender reflector (used on front fender) - @pick
Sign language Peace and Love valve caps - @eparsons
Fender rivet screws - @Mark Davo

Last edited:
Crank up some Dr. Hook "Cover of the Rolling Stone" and check this out!!!
The Savannah Bicycle Campaign is gonna use my Rockafella Savannah Theatre Return to the 50s pic for the cover of their new BikeSAV Guide & Map!!
How sweet is this!!!???!!!!!

bikesavmapcover.png

Rockafella - 1953 Ruff Firestone Super Cruiser Finished Thread

Spent too much time playing around. So I'll keep it simple and post up pics and a link to the Build Thread.

I'll add the parts list and ancillary stuff later after the threads are unlocked.

BUILD THREAD IS HERE - http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...per-cruiser-finished-walkaround-video.103521/

Here is my voting pic

View attachment 58316

Here is a walkaround video

Here is what I started with. My goal was to make a bike that looked like Ruff Cycles built a Firestone Super Cruiser in 1953.

View attachment 58317 View attachment 58318

Here are some more pics

View attachment 58320 View attachment 58321 View attachment 58322 View attachment 58323 View attachment 58324 View attachment 58325 View attachment 58326 View attachment 58327 View attachment 58328 View attachment 58329 View attachment 58331

View attachment 58358 View attachment 58360 View attachment 58359 View attachment 58361 View attachment 58362 View attachment 58363 View attachment 58365 View attachment 58364 View attachment 58366 View attachment 58367 View attachment 58368 View attachment 58370

So much to look at and going on but still very cohesive! Another classic! The supermodel of this build off! ;-)

So much to look at and going on but still very cohesive! Another classic! The supermodel of this build off! ;-)

Thanks my BBC brother! I am very happy with this one. Talking bikes with you guys in Manila at the end of our trip really pushed me to go with this build rather than a simpler one. Thanks and give my best to the rest of the BBC! Next is "for sale" season. Time to work some Budol!!!!

Thanks my BBC brother! I am very happy with this one. Talking bikes with you guys in Manila at the end of our trip really pushed me to go with this build rather than a simpler one. Thanks and give my best to the rest of the BBC! Next is "for sale" season. Time to work some Budol!!!!

We're glad you were able to go with this direction, and simple doesn't suit you anyway, hehehe ;-) Budol on, brutha!

Took Rockafella out for some fun in the sun today.
(Possibly my last ride before selling)

20180331_165358.jpg
20180331_165538.jpg
20180331_165550.jpg
20180331_165557.jpg
20180331_165606.jpg
20180331_165617.jpg

This poster that I won after BO13 popped up as a four year old memory, so I updated the collage to show all twelve years of my RatRodBikes Build Off bikes.

Kingfish254 Build Off Bikes .png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back