☆ARMADILLO ESPECIAL☆ final pics!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, it may not be a top 10 contender but its the first one to the finish. Its been a fun build, frustrating at times, but fun. Now for the best part getting to ride it. I'll get my final pictures up once I get them shot so this'll have to do for now.
20170614_211050.jpg

20170614_211154.jpg

20170614_211242.jpg

20170612_110153.jpg

Its a Summit Workhorse frame and fork that I shaved the guard and rack tabs off of with a set of heavy duty allow wheels with 12g spokes and Shimano hubs and a 20t cog all from @ind-chuckz . The paint is Rustoleum oregano satin. The tires are CST Ritchey knock offs.
I used an 80s Panasonic stem and Sunlite 3 1/2" rise steel mtb bars with Cult Vans grips. It has a cnc milled alloy seatpost topped with a Retrospec saddle. I used a 152mm crank I got from @Indyjps with generic bear traps and a three arrows 40t chainring and a KMC chain.
I'm about to take it out for a spin and see how it rides. Thanks everyone for all the comments and advice and good luck to all of you who are currently building.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, so far I love it, took it down to the park 2 blocks away and tried it out earlier. A lot of hills and steep rocky embankments, I'll say it climbs great and weighs at least 10 lbs. less than the stripped down 55 Huffy Customliner I've been taking out on the trails lately. It will definitely serve me well when I move to San Antonio in August, hill country, cliff sides and canyons and creek beds, oh my!

Make a detour to San Francisco and ride it down Mt Tamalpais to christen it as an official Klunker. Nice simple clean bike. I agree with Less is More

Thanks guys, so far I love it, took it down to the park 2 blocks away and tried it out earlier. A lot of hills and steep rocky embankments, I'll say it climbs great and weighs at least 10 lbs. less than the stripped down 55 Huffy Customliner I've been taking out on the trails lately. It will definitely serve me well when I move to San Antonio in August, hill country, cliff sides and canyons and creek beds, oh my!

Nice move, from San Angelo to San Antonio (not knocking San Angelo, ha ha). Enjoy

Basic, simple, elegant! Very nice build, love how the components work together, the black and silver go well together across the ride, even blackwalls on alloy rims, well done!

keep the rubber side down!

Well, it may not be a top 10 contender but its the first one to the finish. Its been a fun build, frustrating at times, but fun. Now for the best part getting to ride it. I'll get my final pictures up once I get them shot so this'll have to do for now.

View attachment 53659
Its a Summit Workhorse frame and fork that I shaved the guard and rack tabs off of with a set of heavy duty allow wheels with 12g spokes and Shimano hubs and a 20t cog all from @ind-chuckz . The paint is Rustoleum oregano satin. The tires are CST Ritchey knock offs.
I used an 80s Panasonic stem and Sunlite 3 1/2" rise steel mtb bars with Cult Vans grips. It has a cnc milled alloy seatpost topped with a Retrospec saddle. I used a 152mm crank I got from @Indyjps with generic bear traps and a three arrows 40t chainring and a KMC chain.
I'm about to take it out for a spin and see how it rides. Thanks everyone for all the comments and advice and good luck to all of you who are currently building.
Very clean and classy looking bike, looks bought. Nice job!

Took it out for a 2 hour ride at the state park this evening and almost ran over an endangered species, at least on a state level.
20170614_192955.jpg

20170614_222349.jpg

20170614_222417.jpg
How long's it been since you've seen one of these guys in the wild, nonetheless plucked one up off a bike trail in the middle of nowhere and had it contently hang out on your knee? As you can see from the last picture their endangered status may have something to do with the fact that they are the most zen lizards in all of lizardom.

Nice 'first across the Finished line' ! Boy, you Texans can really pull the strings.....this has to be the earliest posting of a Finished Bike thread ever! And I know, cuz I'm usually waiting in the wings for it to happen.

Already got it out in the dirt I see. How do the bars / balance feel?

Also, you should change your name to Doolittle. A skunk and a horned toad in the same thread? Just hanging out sitting on you?
:grin:

Clean, no clutter bike. Looks like a production model. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back