Sidebolt - WBO 2017

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few days ago, I painted the frame and parts black as an undercoat and put some vinyl on the seat. I tried to get the photos from my phone back then but had trouble and left it. Tried today and got them off for you all to see.

Black undercoat...

079_Undercoat.jpg

Seat covered with vinyl...

080_SeatRecovered.jpg

Sidebolt is almost all back together now, but in my youthless lethargy, I forgot to take photos. :blush:

Next time you see it, it will be done. :nod:

Glen.

Next time you see it, it will be done. :nod:

Glen.

:blush:

Ok... so it's not done done, but it's almost done...

081_AlmostDone.jpg

I'm having trouble now with the jack shaft alignment. A bolt has broken and it's a bit skew-whiff causing the chain to come off all the time which meant I couldn't take it to the car & bike show in town today :mad:. I could've just pushed it, but with the hills here and my aforementioned youthless lethargy, pushing it would be pushing it... if you know what I mean. o_O

I'll continue to potter around on it and see if I can fix it with what I have available. :nod:

Glen, can you access the broken bolt and replace it? Or is it a leverage issue that needs to be solved before you do that? Not sure what all the parts are to the 'jack shaft'....

Glen, can you access the broken bolt and replace it? Or is it a leverage issue that needs to be solved before you do that? Not sure what all the parts are to the 'jack shaft'....

A bit of explanation then…

Here is a photo showing the jack shaft parts, which are the 'bottom bracket' of an exercise bike and a couple of bolts…

058_JackshaftMountParts.jpg

The two bolts were cut to form studs and were welded into the outer holes on the piece to the left. That was then welded to the exercise 'bottom bracket' to get this…

060_JackshaftMount.jpg

The stud nearest the camera in the above photo was obviously not welded well and it pulled out / loosened with chain stress.

My fix for now is this…

082_JackShaft.jpg

It's the stud used as a bolt down behind the 'bb' in the slot and tightened with a nut on the underside. The nut you can see is a nylock and stops the 'bb' moving. Seems to work so far with the little test rides out of the garage.

For those wondering why I haven't test ridden on the street yet, my driveway is a steep shingle one so I'm reluctant to take it down there yet. I can use the neighbours drive which is the same steepness but concrete, so a bit safer when I do finally get the courage to go down.

A bit of explanation then…

Here is a photo showing the jack shaft parts, which are the 'bottom bracket' of an exercise bike and a couple of bolts…

View attachment 45655

The two bolts were cut to form studs and were welded into the outer holes on the piece to the left. That was then welded to the exercise 'bottom bracket' to get this…

View attachment 45656

The stud nearest the camera in the above photo was obviously not welded well and it pulled out / loosened with chain stress.

My fix for now is this…

View attachment 45660

It's the stud used as a bolt down behind the 'bb' in the slot and tightened with a nut on the underside. The nut you can see is a nylock and stops the 'bb' moving. Seems to work so far with the little test rides out of the garage.

For those wondering why I haven't test ridden on the street yet, my driveway is a steep shingle one so I'm reluctant to take it down there yet. I can use the neighbours drive which is the same steepness but concrete, so a bit safer when I do finally get the courage to go down.
Thanks for the pics and explanation Glen. Makes sense to me now. I had forgotten that they might be welded in; being strictly a 'bolt on' guy myself.;)

Make sure there is a cameraman at the bottom of the drive when you make the descent.....just in case, you know, there isn't a second one.:43:
:21:

Yeah, I've been told that. I gave my other bikes and parts to @Endlesschain and when he came to pick them up, he looked at Sidebolt and said "what a monster, it's needs an engine" or words to that effect.

It would be cool with an engine but then I wouldn't be able to ride it on NZ roads without getting it registered and certified... unless the engine is less than 50cc (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/factsheets/43/docs/43-mopeds.pdf). Having said that, I'm not sure it's going to be that 'rideable' anyway... certainly won't be riding it up any inclines. I suppose a little 48cc engine would help it get up the hills. :39:

Hopefully, wherever I end up will have a garage and be flat... then I wouldn't need to sell Sidebolt and wouldn't need an engine.

Glen.
LOOKING AWESOME!! Glen,I haven't been here for a long time,been so busy with other stuff,glad to see you carrying on with Sidebolt,the colour suits the era look to it,I agree a 48cc would do the trick at least as a pedal assisted motor,I have seen a few on TradeMe for bicycles although you would need to modify the drivetrain

LOOKING AWESOME!! Glen,I haven't been here for a long time,been so busy with other stuff,glad to see you carrying on with Sidebolt,the colour suits the era look to it,I agree a 48cc would do the trick at least as a pedal assisted motor,I have seen a few on TradeMe for bicycles although you would need to modify the drivetrain

Yeah... 48cc would help it along for sure.

The paint is brushed on house paint. I went to bunnings and got a test pot of the colour that most closely matched the wheels.

I might advertise Sidebolt on TradeMe sometime soon, but I can't decide whether I should put it in the bikes section or the car parts section. Anyway, I'll wait and see what houses turn up and hopefully get somewhere with a garage. I have to be out of this house by the end of June, so searching elsewhere and the rental market is just getting worse. I'll be moving with my flatmate and she has a pet indoor bunny so that makes finding somewhere a little harder.

Hope those bikes and parts are getting some use.

the market is crazy in town,glenderson got a tyre swap as the cream tyres suited my stretch cruiser and the whitewalls suited glenderson,I may shorten the tank and sit the seat down behind the tank for a lower stance,my boy wants me to do teeth on the front of the tank like on the planes

the market is crazy in town,glenderson got a tyre swap as the cream tyres suited my stretch cruiser and the whitewalls suited glenderson,I may shorten the tank and sit the seat down behind the tank for a lower stance,my boy wants me to do teeth on the front of the tank like on the planes

Ha ha... teeth might look cool on there. Sounds like a major rebuild with a new theme is in store for it. I'd love to see it with the white walls... any chance you could add a photo here?

Ha ha... teeth might look cool on there. Sounds like a major rebuild with a new theme is in store for it. I'd love to see it with the white walls... any chance you could add a photo here?
yup,I will get to it today sometime,theres a bit of stuff in the way so need to do some shifting around anyway

It's awesome seeing this one come together!
Love those wheels!

ha Ha I didnt say which tomorrow I would pull it out but did it yesterday,so the plan is to shorten the tank,remove the bar that the seat is on and lower the seat to the lower bar,play around with cosmetics and it will be done,I plan to install motors on the bikes I will keep so this one,rattled and In the weeds will eventually have motors,Sidebolt came out primo and glad I could see it in real time now and then when it was in construction

ha Ha I didnt say which tomorrow I would pull it out but did it yesterday,so the plan is to shorten the tank,remove the bar that the seat is on and lower the seat to the lower bar,play around with cosmetics and it will be done,I plan to install motors on the bikes I will keep so this one,rattled and In the weeds will eventually have motors,Sidebolt came out primo and glad I could see it in real time now and then when it was in construction

Looks good with whitewalls. I moved to Whangarei on Monday the 27th and have just now (the 30th) got internet on. You don't realise how much you rely on the internet 'til it's not there.

I'll drop you a PM some time and let you know where I am in Whangarei.

Looks good with whitewalls. I moved to Whangarei on Monday the 27th and have just now (the 30th) got internet on. You don't realise how much you rely on the internet 'til it's not there.

I'll drop you a PM some time and let you know where I am in Whangarei.
two of use in town means I have a riding buddy to cruise with

Latest posts

Back