Anyone in US deal with Chain Reaction cycles?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Looking at maybe ordering a few things from them, Unsure if I should tho cause I read some bad reviews online.
Anyone in the US bought stuff from them lately? Looks like main problem is "free shipping" (they are from UK) turns into COD and customs fees via DHL. Looks like if you keep total of order under $800 and don't request courier shipping you are OK. Just wonder what peoples experiences have been.

Last edited:
Thanks guys !
After reading a few threads @ MTBR sounds like problem is DHL.:eek:
Also I guess bike parts are duty free but clothing and shoes are not. Hope if I order standard free tracked delivery it does not ship via DHL maybe I should request shipping via USPS only.:39:

I had a $125-is order a couple months ago. Free shipping, delivered by an unmarked white box van...seemed sketchy, but no issues. Great prices, quick delivery, and they threw in a bonus part I'm probably never going to use :). I'm definitely willing to use them again...but, will confirm you will get a bunch of ads in your inbox :happy:.

Jason

What I found funny...you buy stuff from Canada, it takes a couple weeks. Buy from Chain Reaction in the UK, I think it was four days...with free shipping :43:. I suspect it may have been dropped shipped from here in the states, but I have no way to prove it :bigsmile:.

Jason

What I found funny...you buy stuff from Canada, it takes a couple weeks. Buy from Chain Reaction in the UK, I think it was four days...with free shipping :43:. I suspect it may have been dropped shipped from here in the states, but I have no way to prove it :bigsmile:.

Jason
Same here in Australia, I buy from Sydney it takes longer than from the USA...

There are two 'Chain Reactions' online - one in the US - http://www.chainreaction.com
I haven't had dealings with.

One in Northern Ireland - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com
Which are great.
As Luke says - the last lot of tyres I purchased got from the UK to the Australian depot quicker than it took them to get from the Brisbane depot to my house. Ordered Thursday - arrived Monday.

The customs COD charge is not really a chain reaction thing; it's a risk a lot of folks seem to take with mail-order from the UK. Some folks get lucky, others get to shell out extra cash. I, too, have read that DHL is part of the problem, but i cannot confirm if that's the case or not...

Been thinking of buying a Jackson or a Mercian for a while now... the customs is one of the factors making me reconsider.

It's weird, I sent an email to them, wanted to order some tires. They replied that they cant tell me they would ship my order Royal Post / USPS (which is what I understand is best way to get "free" freight from UK trouble free) so I passed...

I bought the Controltech bars for my Fat Bike from them - NO problems and GREAT service.
I also bought some stuff several years ago while working on the old Paramount track bike without issue.

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Latest posts

Back