Anyone stumbled across one of these? Laguna California Special?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Or a sister bike? The frame definitely appears identical to the imported California Special circa 1986, but those frames I've been able to track down had a solid gusset instead of the more typical Akisu three-hole design (also seen on Hanters, Schwinn Thrashers etc.). Also it was originally painted white, not chrome like the other two Laguna CS's I've seen. Willing to believe it was just a running production change as I have yet to see any info on a Hanter (or anyone else but Laguna) offering this frame.

s-l1600.jpg

IMG_20161230_085941.jpg

Hey but what other 80's bmx cruiser came with those little plates with the holes on bottom of neck tube?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

The Hanter was a cantilever frame with these style gussets, like that Niitaka and I ran across a girls frame a year or two ago with it as well chained to a tree outside a Wendy's or something but it had a headbadge riveted to it. No headbadge holes in this on, like Laguna. Could be anything. Lots of inbreeding in those days.

You're right; those were definitely the days of "inbreeding" or whatever; badge-engineering chaos, for sure. I suspect that's a Taiwan-built frame, like you'd surmised, and I bet it wore a Laguna badge when new. I also wonder if the holes in the gusset aren't of the aftermarket "drillium" variety....

Naw, they're stamped, to be sure. It isn't someone just being creative (like I would lol).

It wouldn't surprise me if maybe Laguna had the frame designed, then Akisu offered it to Hanter to sell as a low end version- the drops certainly appear very similar but whereas I've seen several ads for the Hanter cantilever cruisers I haven't been able to turn one up with the three-bar.

Attachments

• 632915071_9e8a80d8db_o.jpg
    632915071_9e8a80d8db_o.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 204
Naw, they're stamped, to be sure. It isn't someone just being creative (like I would lol).

It wouldn't surprise me if maybe Laguna had the frame designed, then Akisu offered it to Hanter to sell as a low end version- the drops certainly appear very similar but whereas I've seen several ads for the Hanter cantilever cruisers I haven't been able to turn one up with the three-bar.
So this white frame. Niitaka?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back