Is this a sting?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know it is missing parts but based on what I can figure out from the id it is a 1980. Any ideas on what it is? It is missing a lot of parts I think? Pretty excited about the find though -- it was in a backyard of junk in my town with with weeds wrapped in the spokes!

Attachments

• IMG_4092.JPG
    IMG_4092.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_4088.JPG
    IMG_4088.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_4089.JPG
    IMG_4089.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 328
I dunno but stop teasing me with shots of the Hawthorne till ready ship frame please...
As soon as u lit those rollfast and Hawthorne I'm sure they will find homes

Last edited:
You've been finding lots of great stuff, keep it up!! I'll pm u an offer, but those frames are interesting and been coming up in few threads.. a few prolly be interested

I wish I could I'd bmx better but it looks like a sting to me based on pics at bmx museum

Definitely not a Sting. Either a Sting Competition or an SX2000. The forks are probably worth more than the frame, because the forks are the same ones used on a Sting.

1980_31.JPG

The Sting in the catalog had a round small head badge. I couldn't find a Competition Sting in the catalog.

Another great find!

Sting Comp 100%. Frame is identical to SX2000 but the first gen (Tange) forks for the Sting/SX had problems with the drops cracking, and basically when they rolled out the new forks they changed the name too. DR=April 1980 build on the frame, which is right at the transition. They sold both models side by side for a while as they ran through the leftover SX's. If I recall correctly the new fork rolled out in May '80. Geo is the same as Sting, the front triangle tubing is just slightly thicker less/high tech, the seat tube is not flared at the BB, and only the joints at the HT are smoothed. Fully hand-braised, full cromo frame.

Latest posts

Back