Gravity Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw an older thread about a gravity build competition, started looking up gravity bikes and they're pretty ......, looks like alot of fun so I decided to try and put one together for the summer, there's a lot of good downhill riding in my city so summer will be a blast, it's still got a long way to go but it's a start, anybody else have any experience building/riding these things?
IMG_20161222_211922_234.jpg

Back when I lived in SoCal..I built one by flipping a bmx frame. It will lower the bike..and rake out the fork a bit. I used the plate from a bolt on kickstand to locate the front of a banana seat on the chain stays (which are now your seat stays) Also ran a stem coming out of the seat tube..with cut down bars for a knee rest. Of course flipped and reversed handlebar for the low stance.
We used to load a bunch in mini trucks..and head to the mountains on weekdays when traffic was low and race down together.
I have some old pics I'll try to locate and post. I'd still mess with these if we had better hills here in Michigan. It was good clean cheap fun. Hmmn.. I do know of some hills....

Saw an older thread about a gravity build competition, started looking up gravity bikes and they're pretty ......, looks like alot of fun so I decided to try and put one together for the summer, there's a lot of good downhill riding in my city so summer will be a blast, it's still got a long way to go but it's a start, anybody else have any experience building/riding these things?View attachment 40799
Those wheels are awesome.

@RustyGold there's a calling all daredevils thread somewhere around here.

My best advice is to find friends to do it with. Buiding the bikes is fun..going fast is fun..but out building your buddy or going faster than him is way more fun!
Actually. .. my best advice is be safe. If you are attaining motorcycle speeds..wear motorcycle gear...especially helmets. Your profile is small on these..not what drivers expect to see. Your vision over brush..etc. is limited too.
Which brings me back to friends. For a time..we had assembled a big enough crew to have a pickup to follow us with hazards and people at the bottom warning cars going uphill...and waiting to see who came in first.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back