(MBBO#05 Class 2) ★★★ ¡ʇdᴉɹɔs ǝɥʇ dᴉlℲ ★★★ (SOLD to finance exciting new venture!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a lot of sanding to get that much clear back into the bucket.

1200 grit? Or 1000?

With that much work, the glass-like finish and depth will be amazing. [emoji106]
Because I use a high solids clear I can get away with using 600 grit, just means I have to be careful near edges or ridges, would not take much to cut through, but there is a lot of film thickness I can work with, so it was not an issue! :thumbsup:

Really looking forward to seeing it after the final coats are done, I remember Pedro's paint just suddenly notched up 10 levels in depth and flash after the sanding and final coats were done! Loving the depth it already has using the micro pearl flake, so I am expecting good things!

:banana:

Luke.

Final clears are done!

Weather has been cold, wet and windy, so running behind again, today was still windy, but figured with only 1 week to go I had no choice but to get it done.
Thankfully just as I was setting up the wind dropped and I was able to get it knocked out before it picked up again!

So, tell me, is the extra work to wet sand and re-clear worth it?

2016-11-24 16.35.26.jpg
2016-11-24 16.33.48.jpg
2016-11-24 16.34.05.jpg

The same area with and without flash:

2016-11-24 16.32.58.jpg
2016-11-24 16.35.45.jpg

I think so! :43:

The only problem with such a high gloss is that it showed up a couple of areas in the bodywork with ripples, mainly under the top tube, not surprising seeing as so much weld and separate panels went into that area, I doubt anyone would notice unless I pointed it out, but I can see it and it annoys me.
Thankfully once it is assembled I will never see that bit, and the brake cables will run over the top of that area too, so I can live with it! :thumbsup:

I can start thinking about final assembly now!

Picked up the LED boards in town yesterday:

2016-11-24 17.22.23.jpg

These are from little $4 6V (4xAA battery) camping lanterns, I also picked up a flashing driver board which may end up in there, not really sure yet, now to find my soldering iron...

Luke.

What are you going do for rim color?? White would be very late sixties with that quilted white insert and seat....
Super awsome looking forward to finish
I like the idea, but then the rims would get lost next to the whitewalls.
Rear rims will be black with the stainless trims, front is an original 1960's dimpled 20" in chrome, just needs cleaning up. Here it is sitting under the seat:

20161124_191436.jpg

Decided to stop at 1 1/2" thick on the seat foam, didn't want to overdo it...
The boards will be ready for sanding and shaping tomorrow and then they can be wrapped in vinyl.

Was just out there looking at the frame as the sun is setting, and indirect light really makes the frame pop, it is flashing sparks of blue, pink, silver and white as well as the purple, really nice... :)
Impossible to photograph though! :(

Luke.

index.php

Yep....like glass alright. how many final clear coats Luke? and that's an automotive clear?..Then, do you buff it out?
wow..lot's of patience, especially sanding in between coats...PITA.

and why the heII is it windy and cold there? I thought it's coming into Summer? sounds like a colder than normal Spring, eh?

Love it Luke..the Purple Nurple....it be's mesomorizin'
:43:
F

I like the idea, but then the rims would get lost next to the whitewalls.
Rear rims will be black with the stainless trims, front is an original 1960's dimpled 20" in chrome, just needs cleaning up. Here it is sitting under the seat:

View attachment 39208

Decided to stop at 1 1/2" thick on the seat foam, didn't want to overdo it...
The boards will be ready for sanding and shaping tomorrow and then they can be wrapped in vinyl.

Was just out there looking at the frame as the sun is setting, and indirect light really makes the frame pop, it is flashing sparks of blue, pink, silver and white as well as the purple, really nice... :)
Impossible to photograph though! :(

Luke.

A tip on those impossible depth shots, i found that active photo helps a lot when I want to capture a hard to catch color. HDR helps immensely also. I move the camera slightly in an arc from the target and snap just past the angle that reflects the light just right, then use the video to capture the frame(s) that matches.. I get lucky sometimes.
[emoji328]

:thumbsup:
index.php

Yep....like glass alright. how many final clear coats Luke? and that's an automotive clear?..Then, do you buff it out?
wow..lot's of patience, especially sanding in between coats...PITA.

and why the heII is it windy and cold there? I thought it's coming into Summer? sounds like a colder than normal Spring, eh?

Love it Luke..the Purple Nurple....it be's mesomorizin'
:43:
F
Yep 'HB Body auto clear 496' 2K. (Made in Greece)
I love it, to get that kind of build depth with a standard clear would take twice as many coats.

This 2 coats of black base, 1 coat clear intercoat with flake as seen on the video, then 5 coats clear, wet sand, and 2 more clear coats.

It could be buffed in a few days, I wont have time, and really it isn't necessary on a bike build, too many curves and not enough flat surfaces to make it worthwhile.

Yeah, cold and windy with only 1 week left of Spring... :confused: We have had years when November means air-conditioning running constantly and bushfires through the state, but this year Winter is hanging around... I'm not enjoying it... :envy:
A tip on those impossible depth shots, i found that active photo helps a lot when I want to capture a hard to catch color. HDR helps immensely also. I move the camera slightly in an arc from the target and snap just past the angle that reflects the light just right, then use the video to capture the frame(s) that matches.. I get lucky sometimes.
[emoji328]
I will have to try that! I think I can set to record in 4K so I might be able to pull it off... Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

Luke.

A little night time video...

Hard to get a decent video at night, direct lighting flares too much. Did this with indirect, but it does give an idea of the colors that flash up:

Luke.

Hard to get a decent video at night, direct lighting flares too much. Did this with indirect, but it does give an idea of the colors that flash up:

Luke.

That video shows some great flaking sparkle action! Love it, its like a psychedelic light show!!

Luke.

Disc-oh-yeah! Like a built in mirrorball!

Gesendet von meinem SUNSET2 mit Tapatalk

I dig it man.
disco_ball_purple_medium.jpg
That video shows some great flaking sparkle action! Love it, its like a psychedelic light show!!
Wow..that purple paint is really poppin'!! Love the night time vid with the music.

Really looking forward to seeing this one.
Had no idea they had that funky of white boys down under... Awsome vid and fitting soundtrack as usual!
Disc-oh-yeah! Like a built in mirrorball!

Gesendet von meinem SUNSET2 mit Tapatalk
Thanks Guys! I am loving this paint!

Grabbed another video today in the sunshine, no fancy music this time though...

Luke.

Over the top paint and sparkle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back