Lester Mags

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might be confusing myself with the Mongoose magnesium wheels which are worth a bundle of cash because most of them broke when you jumped a bike. And everyone jumped their bikes, that's what BMX was all about, jumping!

Post some pictures if you can, its worth a thousand... whatever...

Talk later Tex

I can't remember who made those five spoke magnesium mags. I used to have a pair that I converted into a freewheel. ISTR they had a rep for exploding or catching fire or something, which sounds rather outlandish. Mine lasted quite a while and were retired without incident. Sadly, I don't know what happened to them.

I think those mags associated with Mongoose BMX bikes were Motomags, those really cool (and heavy) five spoke cast aluminum wheels with a small "X" spokes between the five spokes.

My recollection of Lester mags were that they were a somewhat less desirable also-ran in the market, often appearing on lesser BMX bikes. Cast aluminum like Motomags, and available in different colors and patterns, they sure did look nice. I think they were introduced on the tail end of an era, when mags were no longer taken seriously as BMX gear. It's a pity they aren't more common. They might fetch a nice price on ebay. That old school BMX stuff seems to be in demand.

The Lester mags are a little heavier than the Motomags, even though both are cast aluminum. Shecky is right though, the Lesters came on lots of lower end bikes so they don't have the appeal of Motomags Or MX-60's. Lester made the hubs extra thick on their mags because they had so many different applications for them- coaster brake, freewheel, even solid sprocket moped applications- and that's what added to their weight.
Those cool magnesium 5 spoke mags that Shecky was refering to were Webco mags...

ratright.jpg

Cool factoid on the Webco mags- they were designed by George Barris and sold by Iverson for a few years. Webco bought the molds and cast them in magnesium so they would be lighter than Motomags, which were also originally cast in magnesium. As they both found out magnesium doesn't like huge jumps, hence the switch to aluminum. I'm sure cost was a factor too.

old post i no
but havent been around in quite awhile

thisone.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

bmw1.jpg

o wait
those arent mags.... :roll: :lol:

Moparmayhem,

My kid and I were cruising thru Wallyworld not too long ago and we saw that same Wallgoose. We both stopped, looked at each other and said..."ratrod wheels."

Great minds think alike, huh? Show pics when it's done.

hahaahah
i looked at that bike for about 3 onths and wanted those wheels baddddd

finally convinced my dad and he agreed to hep build a bike with me(ok he agreed to pay for it)
went and got the bike just for the wheels and the goose is actually still in the box

Latest posts

Back