Remodel project.. roof came off

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear you Carl, this thing was definitely built with recycled materials and modified several times. A lot of work for sure but satisfying also. Great building weather right now. I figure 3 to 4 days to dry in the end of the building Not counting building the PT foundation or floor system work.

We just insulated the foundation at work, I'm going to haul home the scraps for this project. Waste not, want not!

Studded in the gable this afternoon and sheathed with 1/2 ply. Also took a leap and cut out all the wall ties. Structural ridged did it's thing, nothing moved.. Wish they were savable since they are old growth hardwood 4x4x 16s but they are warped and riddled with nails. Now the room really feels open.

Another Saturday off. LOL.

Took the sawzall and wrecking bar to the end wall. that felt rewarding. Talk about an open concept feeling..

Finished sheathing the gable end, that was some steep ladder work! Salvaged plywood from I don't know what project.

Before I put in the arch window I need to make the exterior trim for it. I had some 5/4 pine salvaged from another project. Cut them at an angle so I would get enough coverage for 3-1/2" wide trim.

Aligned the window and clamped it all in place. then I made a 3-1/2" wide block with a "V" notch to ride against the window. The notch made for two points of contact along the window which kept my line nice and straight, well curved, but straight if that makes sense. I guess it kept the block stable so my line doesn't go in and out. Ran this along the edge to mark my cut. Worked pretty well, so far anyway.

Screwed the whole thing together so I can cut the curve at home, glue and Kreg screw it together. Once the outer line is cut I can scribe the inner radius and then make the sill. I need to bring some cardboard over so I can make a cut pattern for the opening in the sheathing. I've been looking for an easy way to flash the curved trim without much luck...anybody have any thoughts on that. I have access to a brake and I'd rather not do all the little cuts so it will make a curve but if that's what it comes too so be it.

Then it was over to the continuation of the timber frame pressure treated foundation... More salvaged lumber...the out of level situation is really evident here. About a 2" difference between the garage connection and the house. The floor will be level with the house so I'll be running a ledger and hanging all the joists.

Also stripped some interior bits around the shared wall and old doorway so I can start figuring out how to tie the buildings back together, there really isn't anything keeping these two structures connected.

My in laws found a pair of double hung windows for the back wall so we are only missing a small awning window for the front side now.

Whole bunch of family coming up next weekend so I'm hoping to get the new outer wall framed and possibly a roof on before that. Probably going to need to take a day off this week.

flash that window with that adhesive tar strip stuff. it's usually used under doors but it would work great on the arch. I've got a 4" wide roll out in the truck, I'll get the name of it in an edit....
5162a6c983440bdfdb28f0280515375b.jpg

Ha, it says roof and gutter repair,
never used it for that before.

Carl.

sent from a crowded phonebooth...

Last edited:
Good work Walker! I know how rewarding this kind of project can be, as I own and rebuilt an 1880's mining-era house in Park City, UT back in the late 80's. Thanks for sharing it with the RRB crowd! :41:

Latest posts

Back