Hub Question....Shimano 3 speed. calling the experts?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was cleaning and servicing some hubs I've acquired along the way
This type I never worked on before...it's a very smooth operating hub I may use in a future build

Shimano 3 speed Hub
Cartridge Type
I take it its an internal 3 speed hub
I've worked on the ones with the little chain attached to a shifter

How is it a 3 speed ? I mean, how does it shift?
examining it's guts I still couldn't really figure that out...doh !
:doh:
franco...(hub tenderfoot)
thanks.
shimanoHub1.jpg

shimanoHub2.jpg

is the axle hollow on either side? All the Shimano internal gear hubs I've seen either use a rod through the axle or a sort of ring arrangement around the hub and a cable, like this...
8759.jpg

I've had Shimano hubs where the rod inserted on the left hand side. Perhaps?

is the axle hollow on either side? All the Shimano internal gear hubs I've seen either use a rod through the axle or a sort of ring arrangement around the hub and a cable, like this...
8759.jpg

I've had Shimano hubs where the rod inserted on the left hand side. Perhaps?

thanks guys...I'll check this out
thanks for the photo big cam...that's starting to look familiar now

:happy:

Oh..wait, there is a hole in axle..missing rod
have you the patience for one more answer?
so what does the 'rod' connect to?
It's a nice hub and I want to save it if I can.....
thnks lots.

f.

Attachments

• shimano rod hole.jpg
    shimano rod hole.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 195
The rod pushes in to change gears, like the little chain on Sturmey archer hubs pull to shift. There's a shifting mechanism that bolts on to the axle, then you adjust the cable to get the shift point just right, on old ones like yours, the shifter on the axle had a little circle that lined up. If you don't have the pin or anything, it will ride in high gear all the time, so you can use it but it will pedal hard. Here's info of old shimano shifter hookup.

Here's info of old shimano shifter hookup.

Of course. Duh. Thanks Wildcat.....I have worked with this hub before, I just forgot....:doh:
I fixed up an old Schwinn Collegiate about, ohhh... a year and a half ago with this very hub and setup. I'm just missing a couple of little parts.
Love RJ the Bike Guy too....I think he has the most helpful vids.

brain fart...man, don't get old
:bigsmile:

franco

Appreciate the thread, I've never worked on these and want to use 1, trying to learn more before buying.

If you are looking to go 3 speed just buy the whole kit with hub and shifter. They can be had for $60 on eBay. I just installed one on Saturday and it took all of an hour which included removing the old hub and relacing the wheel with the Nexus hub.

I agree with Ichoptop, a new one is ready to go and has a guarantee. One advantage of the internal geared hub is that the dust and grime stays out of the works, so they last a long time with little maintenance. many times after I've had one apart, somehow it was never the same. Some old ones just need oiled and that's it, never need taken apart. If any of my hubs go bad, I'm just replacing them to avoid the hassle.

FN- I would ditch that shimano and go Sturmey Archer as suggested above. New or old, the Sturmeys' have years of internal geared hub experience over Shimano, and tend to have better reliablility. Sturmey 3spd hubs are also pretty easy to tear down and rebuild, with parts easily available everywhere for the most part. I would be suspect of used shimano's unless you are a shimano hub expert...

Latest posts

Back