Recent content by us56456712

1. us56456712

1940 Schwinn / Sayre - former yard art- "Toad"

I have placed a thin layer of open cell foam over the dense closed cell foam. I also made a mold of the pan with the closed cell foam out of drywall plaster. The seat, two foam layers and leather were pressed into the mold with spray contact cement and the leather pulled tight and trimmed and...
  2. us56456712

Need Some Assistance From The Chain Experts, Please

Just keep riding, it will either eventually fit or it will break. I only ride maggots, so I’m not at all pickey. I have totally rebuilt, body an soul, a 1948 Buick, raced and wrenched Triumph motorcycles in the 60s, (I still have two) rebuilt a 1959 MGA in 1965, hot roded a 1949 Ford sedan and a...
  3. us56456712

Wood frame bicycle

I trust bamboo a lot more than I do wood. In HS a classmate was running a ski course, rammed into a maple wood course marker pole frozen into the course, and it went through his groin and came out his back, taking a kidney on the way. It valued him up in the air. He survived. Now they have...
  4. us56456712

Homemade Tools

Good idea, I use a cheap brake calendar hone. The stones are always wearing out.
  5. us56456712

Homemade Tools

You have the professional model, I use a hammer and a drift punch for removal and a hammer to instal.. A hammer is what pro shops used in the good old days. Hammer in the hangers and head cups. If you are fussy, and I’m not, use a wood block on the cups but that is totally unnecessary"
  6. us56456712

Need Some Assistance From The Chain Experts, Please

Doesn’t matter, use what ya got. You guys are too picky. Ten speed chain on a single speed, sorta works, the sides of the ten speed links wow out and make noise. Eventually it all grinds into place. I worry about breaking a ten speed chain on a single speed maggot parts bike, but over the last...
  7. us56456712

Wood frame bicycle

Antique bicycles had massive skip tooth block chains. Replacements are custom made and costs 5 x a Walmart bicycle. 1900 side by side tandems had skip tooth chains that looked like they could be used for bulldozer treads, ha ha. I have pictures of massive skip tooth chains from an antique...
  8. us56456712

Wood frame bicycle

I got a fence made out of bike frames. I should take one and cut off the lugs and epoxy and screw wood or bamboo unto the cut off lugs to make a faux wood bike. I would not feel safe with a splinter cycle though. Bamboo with carbon fiber rods epoxied inside the bamboo would be my choice if using...
  9. us56456712

Wood frame bicycle

10. us56456712

First Build Advice

Look for a used big box bike for $50. - 60. The wheels and tires cost more than that. There are many around here on Craig’s List. They used to cost $25 but the bike shortage has caused the rise. The good news is that everyone is trying to unload these bikes.
  11. us56456712

USA bike tour on a budget

I think your right, he is a modern day hobo.
  12. us56456712

USA bike tour on a budget

I ran into a guy bicycle touring Friday. He started in Louisiana and was heading to western Colorado. He just completed a tour of the eastern Upper Peninsula of Michigan and was going west towards Duluth. He was visiting all the sights on the way. Its cold at night now, in the 40s F. He had an...
  13. us56456712

The next major buildoff?

I never participate in muscle bike or small bike build offs. I’m too old to ride them and if I can’t use em I don’t build them. They aren’t efficient enough for my tired old body and they demand body bends that I can no longer do. The exception is my two folding bikes, but two is all I need. I’m...
  14. us56456712

My Oregon Neighborhood (9/7/20 update)

Beautiful. Too bad it’s so far away. My only trip there was in 1970. Big trees, mountains then beautiful moonscap.