Recent content by RivNut

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. RivNut

Do You Ever Bicycle In Parades?

St. Patrick’s day parade. Little kids at the front set the pace. We rode in circles as we moved down the street. Last time for that.
  2. RivNut

what's it look like were you and your bikes live

Perfect place for giving multiple bikes an OA bath.
  3. RivNut

Bike from the Dead's Freshly-Exhumed Finds (Everything I've dug up since 6/15/21)

If that were my bike, I'd fit it out as a paper boy's bike. Bag hooks on the handle bars. And some bags of papers, one hanging from the handlebars and one on each side of the rear tire hanging from that unique rear rack (what it was designed for.) Then one for yourself. Ed AKA Rivnut
  4. RivNut

The wagon is a"94 Buick Roadmaster. Just rolled over 155K. Powered by an LT1 engine (all 94 - 96 Roadmasters came from the factory so equipped.) With the towing package, it comes equipped with aux oil and trans cooler, mechanical and electric cooling fans, and posi rear end. If I keep it...
  5. RivNut

My bikes live in a double car garage off the back of the lower level under the deckWhere I live.
  6. RivNut

Rusted chain salvage.

I've used the same solution, but for parts that I can let sit for longer periods of time. Cheap too.
  7. RivNut

1957 Schwinn Corvette

Pull the fork and you'll find color that hasn't been affected by UV rays. A good paint store has a spectrophotometer and can identify what pigments are used to make up a color. They hold the device against a good color and the rest is simple. As far as I know, no formulas exist.
  8. RivNut

Improving the Aldi bike stand

Take the arm out and drill a series of hole around a line around the circumference. Drill a next size smaller hole in the stand and thread it for a small machine screw. Put it back together so that any hole in the arm lines up with the hole in the stand. Run the screw down the post into the...
  9. RivNut

Rusted chain salvage.

An inexpensive rust buster is a 50:50 solution of automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
  10. RivNut

Almost there

The 1959 Speedster after putting all,of the pieces together. I needed to clean the shop so I took my middleweight Schwinns out and let them get some fresh air. Some more yet to be worked on. I'll post the JC Higgins and Elgins another day
  11. RivNut

Almost there

Well today I finally got the nerve to tackle rebuilding the Bendix two speed for the Speedster. The grease was hard enough that I had to pick it out with a dental pick (2nd picture .) I soaked the parts in a tub of Brakleen and took a brass brush to them. I've dry fit everything together so I...
  12. RivNut

1939-1941 Elgin

PMs might work IF the seller is still active on the site. Isn't there a way to email forum members as well as sending PM?
  13. RivNut

reusing spokes

As much work as it's going to take to get the wheel off the bike, get the tire off the rim, get the axle out and the cassette off so you can get a new spoke started. If it were me, I'd cut the broken spoke off at the nipple and just keep riding. Life is too short. KISS principle - Keep It Simple...
  14. RivNut

Almost there

1959 Schwinn Speedster. After collecting the missing pieces, I got the fenders rolled, then painted everything. Assembly will begin as soon as the fall Honey-dos are finished. (Finding time to have fun working on bikes is he'll when your wife finally retires.) :cool: In the rafters waiting time...
  15. RivNut

Show us your couples bike pairs.

1961 Fairlady, 1959 Corvette. The only real difference that I could find was in the headbadges. The 59 is bigger and the same color as the bike, the 61 is a generic Schwinn.
Back