Recent content by Phil Fink

1. Phil Fink

Western Flyer.....Year?

I forget when the brown earth tones were the latest thing, maybe later 1970’s?
  2. Phil Fink

Colson Flyer 26" balloon tire project

Calling the paint done, and started assembly. Forgot the dry fit of bearing parts, found the crank to be a tight fit, and the fork requires threads to be trimmed with a die tool.
  3. Phil Fink

Pre-war step-through just for laughs

I think that the bike is almost too nice to be a prop display piece on a farmhouse yard. Aren’t those often seen in more rust tones? (If only it was not a girl’s frame).
  4. Phil Fink

Old 20 inch

The model 720 in the catalog picture looks more like a classic drop bar frame, as we can see the angles between the top tube and the seat stays. The actual bike appears to be a more streamlined design, as the line of the top tube continues into the seat stay tubes (like on the larger models in...
  5. Phil Fink

53ish Western Flyer.

My family had a used English lightweight kids drop bar frame bike just like that one. All of my brothers and sisters learned how to ride without training wheels on it. It got a lot of use and abuse and besides the bent fork the chain would often slip off. I believe that it is still hanging in...
  6. Phil Fink

What length do you think these are.

Next to the 36-tooth chain ring sprocket, (about 145mm), the crank looks about 5+1/4” on the small screen; what kind of bike is it? My earlier comment may have been more appropriate to larger frames, such as GT Dyno 26” cruisers; I have also seen a few 178mm cranks, (in between 175 and 180)...
  7. Phil Fink

What length do you think these are.

Some GT bikes used metric parts from Taiwan, such as 165mm (short), 175mm (cruiser); and 180mm (watch-out when leaning). 5mm is about 3/16”.
  8. Phil Fink

26” Cantilever Style Frame Comparision Thread

Perhaps the definition of cantilever may had changed; I recall an advertisement attributing the architectural adjective to an older design. The Shelby with the CWC-like curved rear fork/stays might have been a 1953 transition bike?
  9. Phil Fink

Schwinn World and Rixe road bikes value

I believe that the light blue girls bike could be improved with more comfortable handle bars, mattress springs saddle seat, and fenders. But those or new tires and tubes may be cost prohibitive.
  10. Phil Fink

Pedals

Yes, but probably not worth the effort, when compared with shiny replacements. Perhaps the various tabs could be un-bent and later re-bent; but those were not especially quality pedals in their own time. For painting alone, (no bearing work), the tabs for the reflectors could be worked; unless...
  11. Phil Fink

Schwinn?? Year?? Model?? Help

The wedge type seat post must have been a short term post war feature; (maybe another manufacturer had a patent). We see them again on some later 1950’s AMF and Evans bikes, (perhaps others). Rat rodding seems appropriate — as it looks like the bike has been modified in the last ~73 years.
  12. Phil Fink

Cruiser bike

1985, or 20 years later, like 2005(?). There are some threads on GT Dyno Kustom Kruisers history, including the various ownerships and the end.
  13. Phil Fink

Noob lookin' to build a klunker

Good choice for a Worksman lug frame over a Colson; many pre-war Colson frames that I have seen have braze repairs at the rear fork chain stays.
  14. Phil Fink

29er coaster brake

Could be something over or under tightened at a factory or at the store; the braking or coasting or driving problem was not really stated. When I hear of cruiser bicycles and San Diego — I think of Mission Beach (or PB).
  15. Phil Fink

Schwinn?? Year?? Model?? Help

1947 Hawthorne by Snyder - built at the Excelsior Michigan City Indiana plant (closer to Wards Chicago). Serial number might be on the seat tube mast, with a letter “C” prefix followed by 6 digits. Someone may have swapped out the chain ring sprocket for an A&S 4-hole; (and the seat post clamp...