Recent content by LAGreg

1. LAGreg

Van Halen Frankenbike - The VH Cruiser

I pulled off the tape, and it was clear how my black-white mistake manifested.. there was no black “X” Sooo, I tapped off the surrounding areas leaving the “X” exposed and just painted that part black. Finally!! With the frame painted, it’s now on to actually BUILDING the bike!
  2. LAGreg

Desert Danger

Thanks. I knew I wasn’t going to use a break and didn’t want to leave those posts just sitting there. My first thought was propellers. But they would have had to be really small to clear the tire. I was very fortunate that those little lights fit perfectly.
  3. LAGreg

Desert Danger

I began with no plan and a garbage frame and forks purchased for $5. The only new (functional) parts were the sissy bar, front tire and grips. Everything else came from other bikes I had or were bought piece meal as used. Here is the Build thread. The $5 sand-filled frame... Oh, and...
  4. LAGreg

Next I painted it black and did NOT remove the tape before adding more tape and more paint. This was the first thing I did right. After black paint came more strategically placed tape. These would be the black stripes. Finally came red (again) on top of all the tape and other paint...
  5. LAGreg

I started by stripping the teal, priming and painting the entire thing red. It was gorgeous. It was also completely wrong. I wasn't thinking enough steps ahead. My thought was, it's mostly red so I'll start there. As I mentioned above, red was last. I didn't realize that at the time and when I...
  6. LAGreg

This build is in memory of Eddie Van Halen who inspired so many of us who are still chasing that Rock and Roll dream. Here is a picture of the guitar that started it all. What Eddie did was take a black guitar, taped it and painted it white, removed the tape and had a white guitar with black...
  7. LAGreg

Desert Danger

Sweet, thanks! I just need to go take a perfect picture now :rolleyes: I reeeaally don't want to post first. But if no one has posted by the weekend I'll do it since I basically forced the point.
  8. LAGreg

RIP EVH

Check it out. I’ll put up a real build thread but wanted to share.
  9. LAGreg

Desert Danger

I watched a couple YouTube videos and here’s what I got as a result. Cut, glued and clamped the heck out of it. And it turned out OK. I couldn’t get out all the wrinkles but for a first ever re-cover I’m pretty happy. Much better than the tape pattern. Also, I’m pretty much done. Anything else...
  10. LAGreg

Desert Danger

I’m nearly done. It seems though there could be endless tinkering if I’m not careful. When I was a filmmaker (in another lifetime) I would say, “The movie’s never done, but eventually you just have to stop.” I didn’t like the camo pattern of the tape on the seat. So I got some matching camo...
  11. LAGreg

Rusted chain salvage.

I’m going to try this next time. It sounds a heck of a lot easier than juicing half a dozen lemons.
  12. LAGreg

Desert Danger

After my evening darkness ride I decided to add lights. These were harvested from old Halloween decorations. I haven't road tested them yet but they're LED's and should be plenty bright to be seen even if they don't light my way. I'll also add some type of red light or reflector on the back.
  13. LAGreg

Desert Danger

Nearly done. Black tires are much better than pink which looked good in my mind but not in the real world. Road it around the neighborhood last night. Very fun to ride and got stopped several times by neighbors asking about it. Once the sun set though I realized I was essentially invisible with...
  14. LAGreg

Rusted chain salvage.

Several times I have used pure lemon juice. Put the chain in a bottle or similar and fill with enough lemon juice to cover the top of the chain. Leave overnight. It has worked every time. I've also used it on all manner of screws, nuts and bolts. Full disclosure, I have a lemon tree. Buying...
  15. LAGreg

What pic on google images first sucked you in to RRB?

I'm a Rockabilly guitar player and the Rockabilly scene is tightly tied to the Hot Rod scene. One day I discovered the Rat Rod (car) subculture. Then I simply started typing in Rat Rod into google and "Rat Rod Bikes" came up as an autofill suggestion. I clicked it and this spaceship popped up...