Recent content by Couch tater

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Couch tater

El Demonio Azul

I'll weigh the bike after it is all together again. It's a porker!
  2. Couch tater

Poll: A Proper Rat Rod Clear Coat Sheen

I used high gloss on the sweetest patina in my fleet and have regretted it ever since. I'm going to attack it with steel wool this summer and knock the shine back off it.
  3. Couch tater

El Demonio Azul

It is a heavy bike and yes, very robust. The kids that rode these back in the day had some strong legs on them.
  4. Couch tater

El Demonio Azul

Horsing around and having some fun is what it's all about for me. You and I (and I'm sure many others) look to the automotive side for some inspiration. I'm a big fan of the mild Kustoms of the mid 50s - 60s and hope I can do this build some justice.
  5. Couch tater

El Demonio Azul

I dug out the box of parts for a quick survey. Some are going to require a whole bunch of rehab time. It is way too cold, humid, and windy for spending any more time on this build out in the garage today so I'll watch some YouTube to start learning some painting techniques instead.
  6. Couch tater

Lost in Time

Maybe try making a short internal sleeve from a seatpost that can be inserted through the bottom bracket for more strength and more forgiving welding.
  7. Couch tater

A Proper Rat Rod

I just saw the 'create a poll' button in the 'preview post'.
  8. Couch tater

El Demonio Azul

I'm starting over with a new name and a new attitude on my build. Which isn't to say I've made any progress at all other than letting my build simmer in my mind before digging in. Re-named El Demonio Azul (The Blue Demon) I'm gonna try to give this 1953 Firestone Super Cruiser the mild Kustom...
  9. Couch tater

You in with what?

That was pretty much how I built mine too, with parts on hand. I've got a couple of other choices to build, that I still might switch to, but I'm getting kind of tired moving the Higgins parts around when I'm digging into my stash.
  10. Couch tater

You in with what?

My build is going to be assembling a JC Higgins from all the odd & end Higgins parts I've accumulated over time. Low key and sure to be way at the bottom of the voting. My build will get a bunch of parts moved off the shelves that aren't all that special and with no concern about where it...
  11. Couch tater

Bikes I likes

I've got 3 or 4 Higgins racks, if shipping to Canada wasn't so pricey I'd gift you one.
  12. Couch tater

Bikes I likes

I picked up a Higgins tanker on Saturday, complete minus the fenders. Unfortunately the frame was badly damaged from what looked like hammer blows so I stripped it for parts and sent the frame off to be recycled. Fortunately I have a frame to build with the parts from that one. .
  13. Couch tater

New member, saved an Uncle Stretch from a scrap pile...

Super nice build and parts selection!
  14. Couch tater

You in with what?

I dug out a bunch of my junk and eyeballed together what will be my entry. On this weeks list of things that needs to happen before the build off is obtaining a new set of drill bits, band aids, and a fresh tub of Red & Tacky grease.
  15. Couch tater

You in with what?

78.3% chance I'm in. I have a few frames & forks and just cast my line out for another beater. I just need to get proper rat vision going and figure out which junk to use.
Back