Recent content by bprophet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. B

What's your ratty commuter look like?

I commute by foot, since I work from home. So my "ratty commuter" would have to be my old reliable grocery getter, a '64 Schwinn Traveler. Nothing fancy (though not quite ratty) - and solid as a rock.
  2. B

better late than never.. built it my way (more pics added)

That is a nice texture you got with the paint - it looks similar to some I have done with plastic wrap to pull paint off in patterns. Can you share any details as to your technique?
  3. B

New J.C.Higgins.

That's one of the Steyr/Puch bikes made in Austria for Sears-Roebuck. It has to be before 1963 or so, because the JC Higgins brand ceased about that time. Wife and I have a pair made just after that, with the "Atom" S-R headbadge, before they changed to just the word "Sears". Anyway, they are...
  4. B

Hercules.

That looks like it will clean up great, and at a fair price in that market, I'd think. I can't tell about the seat tube from the pic - if it's not bad, it may be rideworthy or fixable anyway, but you should get a discount because of it. We share the love of English bikes. I have one very...
  5. B

Trelleborg tires???

I've seen a lot of these on 40s-60s middle- and heavyweight bikes, fresh from the barn. Always whitewalls, IIRC. Most of them still hold air, amazingly, after 40+ years of use and neglect. I looked into them last year; a Swedish company, with a long history...
  6. B

Jc Higgins Colorflow bike Tank swaped What looks better 7/11

Another option, coming at it from a different direction: Tie the Beige tank/seat together by using green rims and cream colored tires.
  7. B

Sunday's Find - 50's english? - Benched for good

Re: Sunday's Find - 50's english? - dead You should be able to just replace the spindle and be good to go. Those are readily available. If the front chainring is attache to spindle, you might need a whole replacement set from a donor. A bit more hassle and cost, but could be an opportunity...
  8. B

Free Spirit?

Both the Puch and later Taiwan FS bikes are good rides when cleaned up. If it has cotteres cranks, it's most likely Puch, more modern cranks, Taiwanese. Were the Taiwanese frames made by giant? I have never been able to confirm this, but they look like they're still Puch frames - I've had them...
  9. B

Unknown lightweight?

Based on the lugs, chain ring, handlebar stem and 4 stripes on seat tube, I'd say it looks like a Hercules. Post-buyout, so Raleigh brand is also right.
  10. B

One Trippy Mead Ranger, but what year?

That would be a great idea - not sure I can find a strong black light, though. Had several as a teenager, though. 8) I'll ask around...
  11. B

No offense, taken - but we prefer "unique" :D Thanks for the info, 1940s makes sense to me, as does the Schwinn connection. I saw an AS logo on the Springer, and the chainring is Schwinn, not the 'spiderweb sprocket' i usually see on Meads. So it really got me thinking about it as I cleaned it...
  12. B

One of the results of some recent "Spring Safaris" has been this psychedelicious old Mead Ranger bike. Black light paint, man - pretty far out. The serial is scratched off, suggesting a nefarious past - and that might have been my best clue as to what year this is. I would be grateful for any...
  13. B

Schwinn Breeze for wife

That is going to look really beautiful. She will be able to enjoy that for a lifetime. I have to ask - Where does one get white s-6 tires?
  14. B

26 x 1 3/8 ISO 590mm Wheel and Tire Options

You want colors, maybe stripes? JunkyRustyBikes http://www.junkyrustybikes.net/index.php?cPath=25_61 has quite a variety of Duro brand colored tires, sidewalls and stripes, for $20-25 a pair. Shipping is high, so partner with some friends or buy several. Hope that helps - not quite...
  15. B

What would you do?

Just a quick thought - you might consider just clear coating the rims instead of black, as it deepens the orange color of the rusted paint, and would go nicely with your planned rust color. Here is an example: Or you could send those rusty rims this way, and use something else, perhaps...
Back