Recent content by AndyA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. AndyA

Steering a Vintage Bicycle a Fun way

How about something with a nautical flair? Then you could rig it with a sail!
  2. AndyA

Batshoot coolest bike accessorie

Could be a great workout. Folks run with parachutes for that purpose. So, if you live where there are no hills...
  3. AndyA

Handlebar slipping

The trouble-shooting checklist definitely requires investigating this possible cause. Try screwing the bolts in without the handlebar or top clamps and measure the clearance. If they don't screw in far enough, cut a bit off the ends of the bolts. Of course, you can't go wrong with beer can shims...
  4. AndyA

Painting Hubs

Uncle Phil: Interesting question. Unless your riding is pretty extreme, I doubt that you would get smoke out of your hubs. But it would look way cool if you did. The only downside of high-temp paints is that they tend to be more brittle than regular paints. So you need to decide between the risk...
  5. AndyA

Can anyone recommend a clamp type brake lever?

But.... that's what we live for. :happy:
  6. AndyA

Transistor Radio Holder

Monsieur Dbubbleguy: Nice! I didn't have a transistor radio but my friend did. He would put it in his front basket and when he hit a bump it would fly out. It didn't last long. He definitely could have used a holder. Have fun!
  7. AndyA

205 years ago today..

Professor High: Thanks for posting. Note that the invention was also called a "draisine" in honor of Karl. That name came to be used for railroad handcars, as well. Have fun!
  8. AndyA

Lets see some 24" lovin

For your consideration: a 1980 Schwinn 24 Varsity Sport 10-speed in cardinal red. I'm swapping the drop bars out for a set of flat bars for my grandson. I think he'll find it fast compared to the single-speeds he's been riding. Funny, it kinda looks like a 26 or 27-inch bike with a giant chainring.
  9. AndyA

The what are these sellers smoking thread. we have all seen sky high priced bikes. share here.

Maybe it's selective memory or false nostalgia but it seems to me that a few years ago there were quite a few bikes on Craigslist for $25 or $50. The impetus was generally the need for more room in the garage. Now almost everyone thinks they have a museum piece or at least a bike that Mike from...
  10. AndyA

Cargo & cycle truck front rack question

One day I rode my son's Yuba cargo bike with a frame-mounted front platform. I probably would have gotten used to it but, in the short run, it was disconcerting (translation: it made me nuts). Son likes the bike a lot. Grandson is often on the back (note cushion and handgrip).
  11. AndyA

32-er Project Abandoned Before it Begins

Saw this Kent on Craigslist for $40. Thought it would look cool with BMX-style handlebars and seat; sort of a monster BMX. But after researching the availability (hardly any) and cost (high) of 32-inch tires, I abandoned the project. Even if the existing tires are good, one would need new tires...
  12. AndyA

Tires for a middleweight cruiser 1.75?

Professor Gowjobs: I didn't know that. Now I'm sorry that I know that because my head may explode. Do they not know the size of their tires? Is it a merchandising ploy? What is the world coming to?
  13. AndyA

Lets see some 24" lovin

My grandson rides a Sun Retro 24. My wife rides a Dyno Glide 24.
  14. AndyA

Tires for a middleweight cruiser 1.75?

Hhmm. That designation (with a range) may be found on tubes, but a tire is going to be labeled with a single size, either 26 X 1.75 or 26 X 2.125 or something' else. Have fun!
  15. AndyA

What characteristic makes a bike your favorite rider?

Favorite? It depends on the variables of the trip: Distance Terrain Purpose Weather Mood That's why you need many bikes.
Back