Cerakote frame finish

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just got my MTB frame back from getting finished with Cerakote. It is like powder coat but thinner and durable. It is used mostly on guns, but is being used else where. Cost may be a little more.

09e65fdff3af775fee588ea02d51412e.jpg

Who did the coating? How much did it cost?
Looked up "Cerakote" applicators near me but the examples of their work are all small gun components, don't know if any of those guys can bake big parts like a bike frame. I see they sell "air dry" Cerakote too - is it any good?

Yeah, digging that color too. [emoji1360]
Burnt Bronze

Who did the coating? How much did it cost?
Looked up "Cerakote" applicators near me but the examples of their work are all small gun components, don't know if any of those guys can bake big parts like a bike frame. I see they sell "air dry" Cerakote too - is it any good?

I got a family discount but companies in town are about $150-200 for frame. This was done out of town. You might call them, cause I have seen on websites and forums where off road (Jeep) and motorcycle guys are doing parts too. I believe that aluminum can also be done. Duracoat has some "home" kit that does not require the bake time. The same relative had done both to some guns and the duracoat looked great.

Looks great,I will have to do some research .I wonder what the advantages are over powder coating ? It must be pretty tough stuff if it is used on guns.

Looks great,I will have to do some research .I wonder what the advantages are over powder coating ? It must be pretty tough stuff if it is used on guns.
Advantages over powder - thin and durable
Disadvantage - thin and more cost. If the frame has pitting, it will show were powder may cover the flaw.

That's nice! I would like to try this in my oven but I think its a liquid sprayed on then baked at 700 ish degrees might tax my home built setup!

Advantages over powder - thin and durable
Disadvantage - thin and more cost. If the frame has pitting, it will show were powder may cover the flaw.
OK,thanks for the info .Maybe someday I will come across the right frame for it.

Limited palette, but more colors than I expected to find. Even if not used for a whole frame, probably a good alternative for components. It's rumored to be very tough stuff.

I like the zip-tie cable standoffs--they've gotta work a lot better than those goofy little rubber doughnuts.

I've messed with cerakote before. Only on firearms though. As long as the surface is prepped properly it's really durable stuff. I hadn't thought about doing a bike frame, but it wouldn't fit in the oven anyway... I'm not sure I'd choose it over powdercoat for a bicycle frame though. It works perfectly on firearms because it's thin, I think I'd want a little thicker finish on a bike. Now you've got my curiosity on its durability. Make sure you report back after it's been beat up a little bit!

Latest posts

Back