(ORBO) MasterSports/CyclePro (HEATSINK DONE AND FITTED!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my second entry for the ORBO, a much simpler entry than the other one...

Got this bike from local forum member @kelvin hahnel

22442692900_7b3ab87ee5_z.jpg

Very cool old MasterSports that appears to be a rebadge or copy of the cool old CyclePro's, plans are mainly just to clean it up, fit up my Araya 7X wheelset with the rear hub switched to coaster for cable free good looks, going to try a few little modifications inside the coaster to give it more breaking capacity and longer life as suggested by the fine people at Coaster Culture.

Probably going to hit it with some 2K clear after a good cleaning to keep it looking that nice balance of well looked after but also used and enjoyed, not sure what seat to use on it yet, but I have 3 possibilities in mind. Already sourced some original style gum walls, which were surprisingly hard to find, many these days seem to be either too slick in the tread or the tan/gum wall is painted on...

23094227541_c62054c761.jpg

Should be a good, simple, fun, fairly light bike to cruise around on, but still tough enough if the going gets rough. Basically a bigger version of my bike I used to ride to school!
Pretty sure it will get a big percentage of my riding time when it is done.

Luke.

Good Looking frame.

Makin an adult sized BMX freestyle with that one??? :)

Building... riding...
Not freestyle, more an on and off road cruiser/skidder.

Luke.

Dig the tires, whose are those? Schwinn Maximisers being so expensive (you really going to roll 35 year old $400 tires?) those look a pretty good "don't look too close" approximation.

Dig the tires, whose are those? Schwinn Maximisers being so expensive (you really going to roll 35 year old $400 tires?) those look a pretty good "don't look too close" approximation.
They are "Hwa Fong" 26X2.125 Made in Taiwan. I know where to get them in Australia, but no idea over there... Maybe type Hwa Fong into eBay or Amazon?

Luke.

Two builds you say....hmm...
maybe I can build the crazy hillclimber too...
Let's see where I'm at with my first build in a couple months.
I do like this simple build.

Carl.

Two builds you say....hmm...
maybe I can build the crazy hillclimber too...
Let's see where I'm at with my first build in a couple months.
I do like this simple build.

Carl.
As many entries as you think you can finish the rules say... ;)

Luke.

Been working pretty hard on my other build, but that does not mean this one is standing still!

Unlaced a 36 spoke KT hub from another bike ready to start the rebuild/upgrade process!

23638190543_21c7cc3dfb_z.jpg

Luke.

What upgrade to hub?
Going to chamfer the leading edge of the brake shoes to help with greasing and change to loose ball with extra ball bearings to spread the loads better, I may have a Shimano guts here I can do that work to and shove the whole lot into the KT shell, if not, I will do it to the KT guts.

Luke.

I like the way this is going. :)
Cool! It should be a fun, simple, cruisey ride!

I just had a look in my bike pile and there is a Shimano B type there with a 28 hole shell, I know people normally use the CB-110 guts for the swap, but I am hoping the B type fits too... One way to find out!

Surprising how hard it is to find Shimano coasters here in Australia, I even looked at importing a Cruiser Culture upgraded hub, but that would have been $100AUD by the time it got here!

Luke.

I have heard that too. Is the KT really that bad? I guess I don't ride that hard tho. But I really like these simple builds like this one. Just makes a nice easy riding bike. But still with good looks!

I have heard that too. Is the KT really that bad? I guess I don't ride that hard tho. But I really like these simple builds like this one. Just makes a nice easy riding bike. But still with good looks!
Some say it is, some say it isn't.
Either way, mine is really rough and needs a rebuild anyway, so I may as well go the extra step. The biggest decider for me was the script on the brake reaction arm of the KT though, it says: 'Sidewalk use only.' Not exactly what I want going through my mind while descending a long drop... :21:

Luke.

I must be a glutton for punishment, this was meant to be a simple build, but I came up with a plan today that will change all that!

More information as it happens... I have to wait for a piece of Aluminium to arrive. ;)

Luke.

Latest posts

Back