(ORBO) BMX/MTB/BOMBER/KLUNKER BO .....VOTING FINISHED!......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I guess I need to decide what frame I have in the wings I should build on...
-Worksman M2600
-1965 Schwinn King Size (tall frame) Heavy Duti
-Worksman INB
All good choices!
Bring on Jan 1!

Luke.

It's a Christmas miracle! Or curse? So a couple weeks ago I'm randomly surfing CL and stumble across on of those mis-listed bikes you hope to find- "Blue Schwinn MTB- Homegrown model." So for the $100 asking price I beet feet over there even though the 19" frame would be too small, whatever, "maybe for the BO I'll make a new front triangle set up for 650b" I'm thinking...

IMG_20151206_150221.jpg

I so get to moving stuff around in the garage getting ready for the B.O., and figure I'll just swap the parts from the new '99 over to the '96 19" hard tail Homegrown frame I picked up a few months ago since it too will be too small for me and sell it-

IMG_20151208_063956.jpg

but this morning something just doesn't look right... a quick measure of the HT and lo and behold, it's actually a 21" frame and the guy who listed it on ePay just didn't know what he had and I never bothered to check :)

So Christmas miracle or curse since now it will fit me, I HAVE to keep it right? Gods I wish I could keep to one track for more than a month...

I have everything except the spokes for an awesome Klunker. MAFAC cantilever front brakes, old rear drum brake, 1960's 3 piece crank, long spring seat, Tange super light 1 inch crmo fork, vintage friction shifters, chain wheels, freewheels, vintage brake levers, 1930s stem, many lightweight donor frames to weld up a custom and Araya rims. But! I am having shoulder surgery Jan. 11 and I have been told I will be one armed for 2-3 months. On Monday I have to dismantle one of my new bikes because I broke the frame and that will be my last project for awhile. Darn, I was looking forward to this build. The good thing is that planning for this build allowed me to assemble everything I needed except the handlebars. I will be watching and voting.

That is a shame! I was looking forward to your build!

Luke.
I will post a build later for it once I start it. If I can do anything one armed I might do that and post but It sounds like I might not be able to do much. I might be able to determine the spoke lengths and order them. I might be able to polish my parts. I got to find a new one armed hobby to keep me from getting the winter cabin fever. It's called the U.P. (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) stare, a vacant glazed over eyeball stare out the window at the snowplow going by. This year we have no snow yet, but its coming tonight. A bunch of us are going out on the trails at 10AM today. Yesterday they were in good shape, no ice. I got to get ready for the ride.

even 4 would not be enough for my part i think , only weekends free and have to hunt for parts as i got nothing good to work with right now

I too enjoy four month builds. No waiting for a month to get going.
Plenty of time for late comers and last minute builds.
Soon as the last one is over, I jump into the next one.
As if I had a vote, I'd wish for all the build offs to be 4 months long.
The Winter Off Road BO, The BIG Anything Goes BO, and the Muscle Bike BO.

Carl. :banana:

How long will the ORBO run....I will not be able to start until mid January
Curious to know too
That's a good question, will it be 3 months or 4?
even 4 would not be enough for my part i think , only weekends free and have to hunt for parts as i got nothing good to work with right now
i'm hoping for 4
I too enjoy four month builds. No waiting for a month to get going.
Plenty of time for late comers and last minute builds.
Soon as the last one is over, I jump into the next one.
As if I had a vote, I'd wish for all the build offs to be 4 months long.
The Winter Off Road BO, The BIG Anything Goes BO, and the Muscle Bike BO.

Carl. :banana:
Wow! That is a lot of votes for 4!
It was going to be a 3 month build-off, running build-offs back-to-back or too close together can cause issues on the site. Ideally you want a build-off done and dusted with the voting over at least a week or two before the next one starts, that allows time for the forum groups to settle down and the previous build-off to be moved to the archives. (By the way, check out the archives, there are some cool bikes in there!)

The interference of the two small build-offs last year was a lot of work, and was not going to be repeated this year, but people wanted the 4 month MBBO and I caved to the pressure... :headbang:

The lead up to the big build-off is usually a big time on the site anyway, so this build-off was planned to end April 1st, voting done by April 8th, threads moved in the following days and the site ready to run the official summer build-off in plenty of time. I really don't want to interfere with the big build-off!

Luke.

Timeframe is locked down to January 1st to April 1st 2016.

Official start time can be found here: https://countingdownto.com/countdown/orbo-start-countdown-clock

Official finish time can be found here: https://countingdownto.com/countdown/orbo-finish-time-countdown-clock

Rules as per usual except the type of bike is limited to:

-BMX suitable for an adult to ride, can be set up for park/race/dirt/tricks whatever...
-Klunker/Bomber/Hybrid/MTB... (anywhere from period correct early single speed coaster brake Bomber/Klunker to current carbon frame, hydraulic disc, full suspension Mountain bike)

This is not a build-off for your everyday cruiser, perfect restoration, or your ride to the shops bikes... This is for bikes that are meant to be ridden hard and fast, jumped, skidded and abused!

Standard rules:

1. Start a new post and use the bike name as the post "Subject/Title."

2. Keep a running journal in your thread about your build showing the steps you are taking. Please don't just build away and expect to jump in at the last second with a finished bike, you can enter at any time before the deadline, but the build must not be finished when you enter.

3. Bike must be built within the dates specified. It must not be started before the start date.

4. Must include progress and finished photos (all in one thread please)

5. Bike must be ridable.

We are pretty free apart from that, you can enter multiple builds if you feel you can complete them in the three months.

You may notice the 'all welding must be done by the builder' rule is left out this year, feel free to take advantage of it!

Frame built from scratch are welcome too!

Start your threads in the normal 'Builds" section with (ORBO) at the start of the title, when the MBBO is finished voting it will move to the archives and the ORBO will move to a new thread group.

One last comment that I always add because it is important:

Please keep comments light-hearted and positive, this is a fun build-off, if you start causing trouble you might just get removed...
:comando:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back