1HP ELGIN ''UndeadCustom'' FINISHED!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! Awesome tank work! :rockout::113:

After allot of thinking and thinkering , thank is mounted and open n close properly :dance2:
so much more fab work that i anticipated just to mount this thing , even had to make my own hinges :whew:
DSCN6167_zpsr2zxkzti.jpg
DSCN6168_zpsa5gcw8wm.jpg
DSCN6169_zpsniz78tky.jpg

the latch to close the door was not made yet when i took the pics
DSCN6172_zpsvxc6slqe.jpg

and guess what is next step:39::D
DSCN6173_zpse8cw8ieb.jpg

final fork design , under construction, will not have allot of travel but just enough to smooth the ride and make a great looking vintage"ish" style fork
DSCN6174_zpsrlzncd8k.jpg

Last edited:
truss rods Mock-up
i curved the fork a bit more,
i also widened the fork at the base even more
the wheel is in there , but the dropouts are actually wider than the axel now , the pivot plates will go on the inside , and the suspension truss will go inside the plates .. this way the suspension truss clear the fork legs.
ThrussRods_zpswmjcotic.jpg

Last edited:
Wow what an incredible build! The tank work is fantastic the truss and front forks are great. This is one of the better builds I've seen. Nice nod to the vintage look and feel of the original bike.

Great job!

Thank you!! :dontmentionit:

@sludgeguy : you obviously have not seen much here ;) but i appreciate the compliment:happy:

forgot to mention i removed the markings on the tires , thinner+sanding+oiled and rubbed to smoothness
a light sanding to remove the top coat of the markings , thinner to dry the rubber and dilute some of the paint/decal , sand the remaining , rub with petrol based oil or grease to nourish the rubber back (light heat to make it penetrate) and you rub it with fingers till more smooth (you will have burning fingers):doh:, then wipe and clean:cool:

Last edited:
Tanks ! :giggle:

did a lot of fab-work today:crazy2:

-Lathe some nylon pivots from nuts available at the hardware store
DSCN6187_zpsedutnwfg.jpg
DSCN6190_zpsdqggckww.jpg

also found countersink nylon washers and fiber washers ... the pivots will simply be threaded on the bolt so no need for shoulder screws:nerd:
DSCN6191_zpskud1me27.jpg

- suspension arms , forged into shape (discovered a new passion):D
DSCN6185_zps8rrirkjh.jpg
DSCN6196_zpswoz5xcwo.jpg

and spring plates/cross braces cut with grinder ... gosh that took time:whew:
DSCN6192_zps5o5omgyp.jpg
DSCN6193_zps0z2bfvty.jpg

still nothing welded yet , but hopefully soon

A clearer look at it:
dug out stronger springs and harder bushings and prep everything for welding.
also made a new template for the pivot plates
DSCN6197_zpssiaiewwc.jpg
DSCN6198_zpsj5kilcjc.jpg

only missing the 2 pivoting plates and the top piece that relate the 2 suspension arms to fab

Last edited:
Just wondering what thickness steel you'll be using for your rocker arms?
I'm trying to design a Springer for my current build,and the only scrap plate I have is an eighth inch. I'm not sure that's strong enough.

Just wondering what thickness steel you'll be using for your rocker arms?
I'm trying to design a Springer for my current build,and the only scrap plate I have is an eighth inch. I'm not sure that's strong enough.
1/8" works if you have wide flange pivotbolts, did it on my last fork .

but i think ill go 3/16" or 1/4" for this one cause its a heavy beast
the wider the better i think , prevents slop and wear on the pivots.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back