(MBBO#04 Class 2) PEDRO. (PEDRO GOT A NEW OWNER!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wheels are rad! :cool2:
Thanks TRM!
Love ya work mate.. looks like it was a fun and productive day.
It was a good day!
Just too cool. I love the look of super fit tire bikes. Can't wait wait for the next mock up.
Not long hopefully!
Unlike any you've done before huh...
Maybe it's gonna be a gullwing...

Merle. :crazy:
I think you mean Scissor doors there Merle! But no, that is not what I meant... Pretty sure I have never built a cantilever frame before... :wink1:
I know you were going for Lambo, but those remind me of 80s Centerline drag wheels. Skinny and wide gives me that impression.
I'm happy with that... I actually think they look a tiny bit like Weld Magnum front runners myself... Whatever it is they look like, I'm happy because they look cool!

21409781071_e1d26816a0_z.jpg

21213545398_4b9e6bea3c_z.jpg

Outstanding Luke! You outdo yourself every time.
Thanks Danny!
Those wheels are trick mate, I'm coming down to Vic for some welding lessons!
I've seen your welds Peter, not bad for a stick welder, shame a MIG is not a viable proposition on the island...
I suppose I am a bit lucky Luke as it is part of everyday work and although I never drive them all that far, I still have the opportunity to drive them which is far sight closer than I'll get to ever owning them!!! Here is a slight taster of a few that I come into contact with http://concoursprestigetowing.dphoto.com/#/album/3b9fex
Looking through your pics, I now realise you are in Australia! Always good to have more Aussie members!
Glad I triggered the inspiration! Too funny mate, you never cease to amaze me with your talent
Cheers,
Dr. T
Thanks Dr.T! :)

I was going to be welding the centres into the wheels today, but today has filled up quickly... :doh:
Hopefully tomorrow...

Luke.

Is this still the Muscle BIKE Build Off? I had to check the URL and make sure I wasn't on RatRodLambos.com

Looking awesome Luke! It's going to be wholly unique!
Did anyone else click the RatRodLambos.com link just hoping there might be a website there? :nerd:

Luke.

wow Luke , you keep amaze me with all your custom fab work , love the rims!! especially that baby fat front :) glad i found your thread , would not want to miss this :rockout:

wow Luke , you keep amaze me with all your custom fab work , love the rims!! especially that baby fat front :) glad i found your thread , would not want to miss this :rockout:
That front rim was inspired by your double rim thread 1HP!
Sorry Luke,no web site. But I believe the domain is available.

Wheels look good,curious about a cantilever frame. Specially one of your design.
It will be a weird frame design, but also I think sort of cool, hopefully it will all work in real life. I will reveal more soon!

Luke.

What are you hiding over there in Oz?
the-man-behind-the-curtain-o.gif
Do not pull back the curtain!
Thanks KJV!
The way the wheels look now, with the grey centers and the chromed outers, they have the 1960s mag wheel look to them. Love it!!
Your reading my mind Bike Bum! Thinking about painting the centres to look like cast magnesium, masking the remaining chrome on the front and I happen to have some spare 13" chrome wheel trims for the rear... ;)

21287159602_11d95aba57.jpg

(Yes, that is a crop from my mock up drawing...)

Luke.

Big day today, did not achieve as much as I hope, but good progress all the same.

The reason I did not get as much done as I liked, is that I started out the day making a wheel building tool I thought up last night...

It is basically an oversized truing stand, but with huge adaptability to allow for wheels up to 40" tall and 40" wide, I doubt that I will ever need bigger than that! It has a locking bolt on a sliding base to allow for any width. I can also use it as a plain truing stand for more traditional wheels...

20837748464_1edacdfe0e_z.jpg

I allows me to spin up the wheels at various stages of building and make sure I am getting them straight and true, I used to have to just tack them until I had a bike to fit them so I could spin them up, this allows me to completely finish the wheels before moving on to the frame... Should save lots of time on future builds!

After building that, I moved on to the front hub, just knocked one flange off to fit a sleeve over the whole hub:

21272394670_ee226271ea_z.jpg

Tacked up and on to the stand:

21272606318_04cb92fa0e_z.jpg

That spun up nice so on to the next stage:

21434211576_f12e2211c6_z.jpg

That was nice and straight, so welded it up:

21272394030_7f72ffc673_z.jpg

Then slid the rim band on and tacked it and checked it for true, apparently forgot to get a photo though, so the next one I have is it fully welded.

One side:

21434213486_e06933fe15_z.jpg

The other side:

21272393640_4d4b2ea9f9_z.jpg

Then I cleaned up the weld spatter and any other imperfections with a sanding disc:

21460433795_2fba08ebd2_z.jpg

Final spin up to check if it warped at all with the huge amount of welding involved (About 3 foot per side!):

20837747774_4a2da1dc16_z.jpg

Turns out it did warp a little, not much I can do about it at this point. It is only 1 or 2mm, but on such a small diameter wheel it is more noticeable than it normally would be.
I doubt anyone else would spot it unless it was pointed out to them, but lesson learned on my part, using bicycle rim bands requires more patience when welding than the much thicker and more warp resistant car or motorbike bands... :doh:

Moving on to the rear...

Split the rear hub, measured out how much longer it needed to be and made the longest axle I have ever made!

21273533189_eff903834e_z.jpg

21434212946_52c13b33a9_z.jpg

Sleeved the hub with more tubing and slid the wheel centre on, it sat perfectly square on the first tack attempt, so welded it up:

21272604878_dc6f077867_z.jpg

21272604748_6090ff5b33_z.jpg

Test spin:

21273533009_926c5b85dd_z.jpg

20839347623_d3f07ac42a_z.jpg

Was getting dark and cold by this time, so I called it a day, really don't want to rush welding it into the rear band...

Doesn't mean I couldn't test fit it though!

Drive side:

21469002331_18416ef825_z.jpg

Brake side:

21273534099_4f5d74f4c7_z.jpg

Front and rear wheels together:

21469001471_8cb69a1b80_z.jpg

So that was my day. New tool built, front wheel completely done (that was a lot of welding!) and rear wheel half done. Does not look like much progress, but that is all the hard/fiddly/time consuming stuff done regarding wheels now.

Sorry about the quality of the pics, I have a new phone on the way with a much better camera. I do have other cameras in the house, but the stopping and starting involved to use them takes all the momentum out of building...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back