(MBBO#4 Class 2) Air Force Too. Withdrawn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh and then there's this parts bike.

IMG_0009.JPG

I bought this at goodwill a while back, it's a 36 volt hub motor. it's a very small bike so hard for me to ride. I knew when I saw it that it would end up part of a project. Looks like this build is that project.
I'll cut the rear triangle off the Dayton frame,weld in a tube to mount this swingarm figure out the suspension and see what happens.

I'll either make or order some hard saddle bags and make this thing a bagger. So that's all I have for now.

cool,will be interesting.:D
What sprocket you plan on using ?
wCC Iron Cross.:39:
Right now I'm leaning toward the one on the Tony Hawk bike,it looks like 4 letter A's in a circle. With the air force theme it might fit,but who knows.

I have a feeling this thing will be awesome! Looking forward to following you on building it!!!

It was worth the wait, cool plan. I have a sister in Sandusky, Ohio gets a little chilly... of course I'm just 60 miles south of Chicago... gets chill here too....

Carl.

It was worth the wait, cool plan. I have a sister in Sandusky, Ohio gets a little chilly... of course I'm just 60 miles south of Chicago... gets chill here too....

Carl.
Thanks,I'm hoping this turns out like I have it in my head.

I'm familiar with Chicago winters,did boot at camp moffett in the winter.

I cleaned out and organized my garage today so I'd have an open work space.
I was looking at everything I have to build this bike and got to thinking about leaving the frame rigid.

Only problem is the hub motor is about 3/10" to wide for the rear of my frame. Does anyone have a method to widen the stays that don't involve a car jack,and hopefully won't mess up the geometry?

Small update here.
I decided to go the route of using a scissor jack to widen the stays to fit the hub motor,it worked for me this time without tweaking the frame. Now I have a roller.

IMG_0001.JPG

This is how it sits so far,not much progress I know. But progress none the less.
I need to move the rear wheel further forward so the sissy bar sits straight,which means I'll need to find longer banjo bolts to adjust the chain. I also need some spacers for the front end.

I've decided to use Z bars and risers instead of the bmx stem, but I can't order those or the saddlebags I want til the end of the month. Once I have those things I can weld on brackets to mount the bags and get the paint done. After that it should be smooth sailing.

Small update here.
I decided to go the route of using a scissor jack to widen the stays to fit the hub motor,it worked for me this time without tweaking the frame. Now I have a roller.

View attachment 13332

This is how it sits so far,not much progress I know. But progress none the less.
I need to move the rear wheel further forward so the sissy bar sits straight,which means I'll need to find longer banjo bolts to adjust the chain. I also need some spacers for the front end.

I've decided to use Z bars and risers instead of the bmx stem, but I can't order those or the saddlebags I want til the end of the month. Once I have those things I can weld on brackets to mount the bags and get the paint done. After that it should be smooth sailing.
This is really coming together! Why not use a clamp on your rear seat stay instead for the sissy bar mount? That way you won't have to mess with your rear wheel. Love the stance my friend!

Small update here.

View attachment 13332

Awesome Sauce!.. love it..

This is really coming together! Why not use a clamp on your rear seat stay instead for the sissy bar mount? That way you won't have to mess with your rear wheel. Love the stance my friend!
I thought about that.
The sissy bar came with the seat and is adjustable. I'm thinking about taking it apart and putting springs in it for suspension,specially if I leave the frame rigid.
I still might chop off the back and mount the swingarm from the electric dirt bike.

I'm sure I'll figure out something for the sissy bar,kind of at a standstill til I can order parts at the end of the month.

I thought about that.
The sissy bar came with the seat and is adjustable. I'm thinking about taking it apart and putting springs in it for suspension,specially if I leave the frame rigid.
I still might chop off the back and mount the swingarm from the electric dirt bike.

I'm sure I'll figure out something for the sissy bar,kind of at a standstill til I can order parts at the end of the month.
I'll be watching to see what you do...electric muscle...now that's an idea!
:bandit:

Thanks KJV
I hope I'm able to bring some shine back to the fork legs,they look like they've been sanded.

Small update here.

Nice, tried that on my aluminum MTB frame and broke it apart :-(

Looks great though and going to be a killer build.

Stephen

Latest posts

Back