Hyper-Formance StingRay repaint kits

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wondering if anybody has experience with these kits sold by Hyper-Formance, they are sold on eBay for about $90.00 for the solid colors and $120.00 for the candy colors. If you guys have any tips and tricks for painting that would be awesome, I have asked around at local auto body painters shops about painting it for me using this stuff but none of them want to do they say it's not worth there time to paint something as small as a stingray frame.
T2eC16hHJIQE9qUHu0NkBQ1f1YPht--60_12_zpsn1umvv8h.jpg

I painted Monster Ray with those in MBBO2. Here's my lessons learned:
- Painting with rattle cans sucks. No matter how good the paint, a rattle can won't atomize the paint well and it will always have texture.
- The colors are "correct", but I could have matched them at an auto body paint store, or gotten .... close.
- Candy is hard to do well. Pearl looks really really good and gives a lot of depth.
- I rent a paint booth to shoot my frames. See if there is an option in your area for that.
- If you want to hire out the work, buy the paint and the clear from an auto paint store. Then prime the frame yourself. An auto body place may not kill you too bad on shooting the frame with your paint, but you'll have to shop around to find someone who isn't inconvenienced, and just wants to make a little money. (one guy wanted $250 when I was shopping. I almost laughed. I rent my booth for $50 and shoot it myself.)
- If you have to go rattle can, spray outside, not in your garage homemade spray booth that you built that keeps all the paint trapped in there and then it just falls on the frame and makes it rough. (That's experience. Click My Renegade or Monster builds to see what that looked like)

Great info, Crash!

Lots of places don't have friendly body shops with rentable booths any more. If that is your case, don't be afraid to shoot on a wind free adequately warm day outside. Plan how to hang your parts so you won't have to touch them until they are dry. If you use a system where there is clear on the top, you should be able to wetsand and buff out any dust specks or smaller insects. Be sure to match your thinners or reducers to the temperature you are spraying in. Viscosity cups or measured mixing cups are another great idea to get paint so it flows properly. And ALWAYS test the gun on scrap before you spray that first pass on your project.

Thought about powder coating with candy? I have a friend that had the candy blue done on a old stingray and it was really nice. Takes lots of prep either way but powder is also super durable.

Just my 3 cents...
Stephen

I haven't used Pete's paint but I've had good luck using laquer from spray cans. I find the base coat is fairly thin and lays flat. I spray the clear on thick and sand the lumps out when it dries. Not real durable but looks decent and is easy to use.

Never used that paint and probably never will as I have found that it doesn't matter what kind of paint it is, if comes out of a rattle can it not going to be durable so why pay 20+ bucks a can when a can of krylon for 5 bucks will do the same thing ...
just can't get the color I want sometimes !
Mark

i have used the can with hardener in it. It works very well, you smash a button on the bottom to release the hardener. You can get it at any auto paint store for around $20 in any color you want. The can is the expensive part. Pot life was better than I expected. I used the clear over autoair colors water base paint and it worked great too. It is automotive quality paint and on a different level of durability than normal rattle can

The obstacles I've run into with powdercoating:

- Limited colors
- Can't do fades (at least the one in my town)
- Very expensive

Outlawalice and her hubby own a PC shop. a single stage bike frame is under $50, and a base/clear is not much more!

If you think colors are limited, visit prismaticpowders.com and tell me what you think! More colors that a HOK sampler!!!

AND they're playing with fades....

Outlawalice and her hubby own a PC shop. a single stage bike frame is under $50, and a base/clear is not much more!

If you think colors are limited, visit prismaticpowders.com and tell me what you think! More colors that a HOK sampler!!!

AND they're playing with fades....
All depends on what shops are near you I guess... The one I have used in the past only does single stage jobs, but is willing to try fades, and their prices are really good. I have rung other shops and some are willing to do the fancy multi stage jobs with fancy colours, but the prices are just insane...

Wish I lived near Outlaw Alice and her Husband!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back