1960's Huffy Eldorado

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My first bike find of the year. The local flea market opened up for the season last weekend and I found this in the last row. It looks like a 1960's Huffy Eldorado with some missing and some incorrect parts. A previous owner somehow managed to fit 26 inch rims onto a 24 inch frame. It's tight but they fit. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I got it real cheap so it might make a good candidate for the build off.

411126376.jpg

411126382.jpg

411126381.jpg

411126380.jpg

411126379.jpg

411126378.jpg

411126377.jpg

Got the same bike today, minus tank and nice paint. Mine has 26" rims

Yours is a 26" frame. If you look at my pictures you'll notice how there is no room for fenders and the rear rack actually sits on the tire. My frame is smaller and was made for 24" rims

There definitely does not appear to be much clearance between the rear tire and the fender mount stay bar or for the front tire in the fork. Did they mount regular 26" ISO559 tires and rims or did they mount some "26x 1 3/8 ISO590's?

I have some El Dorado parts for sale in the For Sale section, if you're looking for something. ;)

Nice finds!

Thanks Crash but if I keep it I'm not looking to restore it. I bought it because the frame is similar to a Huffy Rail Super Stock. So I was thinking that I might build a 24x20 Rail out of it.

There definitely does not appear to be much clearance between the rear tire and the fender mount stay bar or for the front tire in the fork. Did they mount regular 26" ISO559 tires and rims or did they mount some "26x 1 3/8 ISO590's?

There is almost no room between the rear tire and the fender mount. When I removed the rear rack I could see where the tire rubbed the paint off of the bottom of the rack. I don't know what the rims are off of but they aren't Huffy drop center rims. The tires are 26 x 1.75 Kelly Springfield on the front and Phoenix Harburg Extra Prima on the rear. I checked the serial number and it looks like this is a 1965 bike. The Huffy catalog for that year shows this bike was available in a 24 and 26 inch version. There's a 26 inch Eldorado on ebay right now and the seller listed some of the frame measurements. He lists the measurement from the center of the crank to the top of the seat post clamp as 18.5 inches. Mine is 16 inches. He also lists the measurement from the center of the stem to the center of the seat post as 22 inches. Mine is 20.5 inches.

One of my buddy's has both sizes of the Elderado. Told him about this thread...
he took his wheels and tried to swap.
called me this eve.
& said the 26 wheels wouldn't fit in forks, or rear, on the 24.

Ive seen those tanks before on feepay and thought they looked kinda dorky like from a kids convertible "pixie" size bike. But on the bike they look cool.:)

One of my buddy's has both sizes of the Elderado. Told him about this thread...
he took his wheels and tried to swap.
called me this eve.
& said the 26 wheels wouldn't fit in forks, or rear, on the 24.

The rear wheel is jammed into place. There is no room for a fender. The tire rubs against the fender mount. There is only about a 1/4 inch clearance between the front tire and the fork, again not enough room for a fender. The front fork measures 14 inches from the crown to the bottom of the blades. This frame was made for 24 inch wheels.

411145960.jpg

411145961.jpg

411145959.jpg

The rear wheel is jammed into place. There is no room for a fender. The tire rubs against the fender mount. There is only about a 1/4 inch clearance between the front tire and the fork, again not enough room for a fender. The front fork measures 14 inches from the crown to the bottom of the blades. This frame was made for 24 inch wheels.

411145960.jpg

411145961.jpg

411145959.jpg
Yeah, that's the measurements of a 24" bicycle. Put 24" s on it and go.
Enjoy.I measured the forks on my friends bikes today. the 26"closer to 15".we took the fender off of the 24" put the 26" wheel on it,it was close.. but, it rolled.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back