(WBO2015) 1910 INDIAN Board Track - COMPLETED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had the bike inside for a few days now.Due to another coldish snap and rain etc.
Also recovering from a BBQ n paddy's day...:D
Everything I ordered for the bike has arrived,so time to start mounting it all.
All the lil doodads,a tribe of injuns.
DSCN4072.JPG
The tank mounted
DSCN4069.JPG
The front fender + wheels + forks mounted
DSCN4070.JPG
The rolling chassis
DSCN4071.JPG
The shifter mounted,still have to shorten the cable and house it.
DSCN4073.JPG
DSCN4081.JPG
The glass fuel filter,mounted onto the brass fitting that came with the bike,originally on the top bar.
DSCN4082.JPG
Air filter cap on.Needs more black
DSCN4083.JPG
The engine is on.
DSCN4084.JPG
DSCN4085.JPG
I want to take off the rear motorized sprocket and add another slice of rubber or wood,this way it allows the chain to be not so close to the tire.
In the end I cut the bottom feathers away,looks more simple.
DSCN4087.JPG
The front fender mascot,is a lead toy injun. I didn't go with the bottle opener,as only one side has the print,but I have used that else where.;)
DSCN4076.JPG
Tomorrow,is the rest of the welding and hopefully get the rear sprocket done.

Looking good! that air filter will be far too restrictive though wont it?

Luke.
It's just capped,on top of the original filter.I didn't go all out like RM did,and built a entire air filter.
I cheated.:grin:

I don't believe it,woke up to rain.When I went to bed,clear sky's and a beautiful starry night.
This has been our wetest winter ever.
So no welding today.Will do a few other bits n bobs then.

I'm a big fan of the first Indians And Harley's but for some reason or another I have never motorized a bike and I lived in South Dakota as a kid just south of Sturgis (the inspiration for a lot of my builds) and have had several motor cycles always just kept the two separate . The bikes with the cheap motors and tanks bolted to what ever cheap frame just don't appeal to me . With you and Renaissance man building them in the wbo its inspired me I may have to build my self one . Great Job I LOVE IT !!!

Last edited:
Funkme I have been holding back commenting on your build and for now I'll just say "Wow" ! I really appreciate all the effort you're putting into this creation ......So much going on here !
Mark
Thanx Mark,this build-off has me really enjoying the bike.

I'm a a big fan of the first Indians And Harley's but for some reason or another I have never motorized a bike and I lived in South Dakota as a kid just south of Sturgis (the inspiration for a lot of my builds) and have had several motor cycles always just kept the two separate . The bikes with the cheap motors and tanks bolted to what ever cheap frame just don't appeal to me . With you and Renaissance man building them in the wbo its inspired me I may have to build my self one . Great Job I LOVE IT !!!
It has always been a dream to own a Indian,but with no money,you get no honey.
So building one is the next easy(actually not so easy) thing...
One thing throwing a cheap engine on a bike,that it is intended to be on.But when it comes to odd shape frames etc.You have to take everything into account.
I have motorbikes,scooters,pocketbikes,motorized mountainboards,mini chopper.
But combining the 2,pedal power with a engine,on a design styled frame you want.Challenges you in every way.
Thanx for the boost.Next build will hopefully be simple.

That bottle opener looks like it should be a coaster brake arm.
It would,but I am unable to get the brake arm off from the bearing cap.Tried every thing,started to damage the cap,so gave up..Besides not sure how long it would last,doesn't seem so strong.

After running in and out because of the weather,I actually did some work in the end.
Started with sun and cold,looked to the east,heavy rain clouds rolled in,then hail,wind,no wind the sun,and it started to warm up.
Eventually dragged the welder out to get things done.
Started with making a seat post (7),made 2 and still not happy,where the saddle hits.
So will attempt another one tomorrow.Something with a bend in the center.
DSCN4109.JPG
I wanted the stem to be different,so came up with this.
DSCN4100.JPG
Combine the 2
DSCN4112.JPG
The handlebars,bits from a mtb and a kids bmx.
DSCN4103.JPG
DSCN4104.JPG
Ready to weld them.
DSCN4114.JPG
Mounted with the stem,needs some cleaning and paint.
DSCN4127.JPG
I also had to add some weld to the bottom bracket cups.They are like a mm to small.Now they fit tight.
DSCN4110.JPG
Mounted the plumbing snake as housing for the 3 gear shifter.Add lots of grease inside.
DSCN4092.JPG
Need to make one of these doodle thingys. Any ideas anyone?
Thought to use electric wire clips/joins.
DSCN4093.JPG
So another thing that I wanted to put on the bike was a fake oil tank.I was going to use a salt tin or the bottom of a mapp container.but one was to large,and the idea was to have it as a beer holder or a extra 500ml of fuel.Just didn't look right and it was not easy getting the bottle in or out,so came up with another idea.
A old light tacky from the 70's/80's
DSCN4088.JPG
Wanted this bit.
DSCN4091.JPG
Painted and with the coins mounted.One side opens,so I can put my keys or $$$$ stashed inside.
DSCN4099.JPG
Hope to be finished in the next few days.

Yesterday I ran around looking for a 90cm-100cm throttle cable.
The one that came with the engine kit is to long.I have one that fits,but its 5-10cm short,as I want it to go into the girder forks.
Found nothing,so I will visit the scooter graveyards and see what I can find.If not I will order one from china and use the one I have until it arrives.
I also went to 2 mechanics to link the chain together,as I only have a tool for the bicycle chain not a 415.
They wouldn't help so in the end I said I will do it if you have a punch. 15mins later done.
3 diff chains,all 415,one a S,one a H and one?They said it couldnt be done the holes are different sizes.Only different is 2 links are slighty thinner in links.
So for sure I am going to grind out a metal punch for future projects and do it at home.

Have these copper/brass? vintage electric clips. will use them to mount the cables on and also other things...
DSCN4150.JPG
DSCN4151.JPG
Fake whatever mounted on.
DSCN4171.JPG
Clutch cable is mounted,chain is on.
All I have left to do is mount on...
Throttle
Mount plate
Headbadge
Light
Chain tensioner + Guard
Fuel line
& remake a seat post,shaped for the saddle.
Hoping to get most of it done today & tomorrow.
I want the engine rotating tomorrow.
I have ridden the bike around the yard,everything is working.
But to be honest,riding in that position is not comfy.Too cramped up,but these bikes were used for racing,so I get that.Downhill and flat is ok.Slight incline forget it,no matter how many gears.
I see myself using the engine a lot.:grin:
I could always lower the bottom bracket and put a smaller crank on.(maybe in the future I might do that),but I really like the set I am using now.I would only gain 10cm or so...

Smaller gear may only gain a bit of room but it will pedal WAY easier.... Might be worth it if it's a beast to pedal.

Carl.

Smaller gear may only gain a bit of room but it will pedal WAY easier.... Might be worth it if it's a beast to pedal.

Carl.
Might lower the gears down at a later date.A lot of hills here,so the motor will come in handy.
Raising the seat will solve the problem,but then it will look funny...

95% done.Just a few adjustments and the light to be fitted.
Also mount the headbadge,but I cant put it on the stem.The spring will damage it.So looking for somewhere else to mount it.

Latest posts

Back