(WBO) - DECO BOMBER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
I had initially planned to build this bike up for the build off starting in May, but I've got everything I need and don't have the patience to wait. :21:

I had a nice lady contact me a few months ago asking if I knew of anyone interested in the vintage bikes that she had and she sent some pics along. Long story short, I managed to buy this 46 Monark Silver King from her and have it shipped to me down in Texas. Apparently her husband found it at the dump and had ridden it for a few years before his health went south.

monark.jpg

Clearly this bike had some weird things going on with it. About all I plan to use for this build is the frame and fork. (sorry, not selling any extra parts)

10527815_10205788723661754_3959841215629026746_n.jpg

Last edited:
Got started on putting things together today.

First off I had a set of 24" x 57mm 3G Bikes coaster wheels that I wanted to use along with a set of 24" x 2.10" Tioga Power Block tires.

frontwheel.jpg

The Front wheel was a bit of a bugger to get on. I decided to remove the front axle hangers and mount them on the outside of the fork to get the front hub to fit.

fork1.jpg

One thing I noticed is that the springer bolts stick out too far and get mighty close to the spokes on the front wheel.....not good. Going to have to pull out the grinder and take off the end of these bolts.

spokes1.jpg

After mounting the rear wheel I found another bolt that might be a problem. It will probably get the same treatment with the grinder.

cog1.jpg

Last week I also ordered a correct seat post for this frame off of Ebay. I still had to use a shim to get it to fit snuggly.

seatpost.jpg

When I got the frame it had this ugly bolt sticking out on one side.....how'd you like to catch your thigh on that bad boy. :arghh:

bolt1.jpg

Busted out the hack saw and the hand file...

bolt2.jpg

Another part I had collected for the build was a new Gyes leather saddle. I liked the shape of this one and thought the holes on the side looked cool.

seat.jpg

I had a new bottom bracket conversion kit, compliments of Porkchop BMX that I had planned to use because I was going to run some 3 piece cranks. I got it all packed with grease and installed today as well.

bb1.jpg

Got the BB hanger all cleaned out...

bb2.jpg

Ready for a set of cranks now!

bb3.jpg

So I had this really sweet set of DiaCompe Competition cranks and a Chop Saw chainring from Porkchop BMX all set to install and realized that a 175mm crank arm would be way too long for this frame on these tires.

crank.jpg

I've decided to order some short 145mm Redline crank arms off of Ebay to swap out with the DiaCompes. Plan to run the same chainring and pedals though.

So here's where the bike stands for now. I had a BMX stem and some old Dyno ape hangers. I threw them on for the photo to see how it would look. Not sure if I'll stick with them or not.

sk001_small.jpg

I don't plan to polish the frame out.....I like the dull aged look of the aluminum as it is. I'm getting a set of white wall Thick Bricks next week and I may see how they look. I have a feeling that they will be too wide for the frame and fork and won't fit.

If it weren't for having to wait on cranks, this bike may have been completed in a couple of hours. :21:

I like it. Them black on black, tires n rims, looks good.
Apes are ok, IF they're comfy for you to ride on...

Carl.

The problem with these frames is that they are bit on the small side since they were designed to run 24" wheels. Having the apes is actually a helpful thing for someone 5'9".

Last week I also ordered a correct seat post for this frame off of Ebay. I still had to use a shim to get it to fit snuggly.

View attachment 9104

When I got the frame it had this ugly bolt sticking out on one side.....how'd you like to catch your thigh on that bad boy. :arghh:

View attachment 9105

Busted out the hack saw and the hand file...

View attachment 9106

Another part I had collected for the build was a new Gyes leather saddle. I liked the shape of this one and thought the holes on the side looked cool.

View attachment 9107
Nice seat!

I have always wanted one,wish I lived in USA.
Did you know...
The "Indian Motocycle Co." was originally founded as the Hendee Manufacturing Company byGeorge M. Hendee in 1897 to manufacture bicycles. These were initially badged as "Silver King" and "Silver Queen" brands
Now that would be a score.

There's a short list of bikes I'd love to own and even with my limited knowledge, one of these aluminum frames tops it.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back