(WBO) Columbia Thunderbolt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Columbia “Thunderbolt” 26 inch middleweight

c223f1448f58363a29d3948df0d388f4.jpg
80051eb8e3e55454c9d3e33f70f2f67a.jpg
b71d17e93f2df92fbfc39615e8cb7897.jpg

I first gave this starter bike to my brother but after it started becoming pieces I decided it was time for it to become a rider again. Last week I finally found her a tank and I have a nice set of red wheels with a 3 speed coaster brake hub.

Last edited by a moderator:
More pictures of mockup before the fun begins. Note added eBay tank, original fenders/chain guard, and some Schwinn wheels/seat post from another project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thunder is starting to be more of a 1960 Columbia torpodo by origin. I had a good time tearing her into parts Sunday.

Also found a bend in her fork. My brother suggested I build it backwards and ram into the wall a couple of times. If I do this how do I know she won't just bend back to the previous position?
1f21281439ff080e979127b365be434e.jpg

For now, this week is busy stripping the frame back to her glory color. Hopefully keeping the original paint. I am using safety stripper to pull the spray paint off.

How to straighten a bent bicycle fork on youtube

Interesting its a Columbia tank bike like yours. :)

Thanks to GuitarCarl suggestion of table clamping the fork, I got 5 degrees of bend out of fork!
GuitarCarl comment "NO NO NO. If you're gonna try to fix it, you need to use a controlled amount of pressure... You have a nice big C-clamp? Nice thick table top/ workbench top? Put blocking under the tube, up by the threads and under the forks about 6-8 inches up, with the forks lying down facing up. Put a C-clamp on the fork at the crown and under your bench top, then apply pressure by cranking the clamp tighter... nice and easy. It will move, no heat, no brute force. (no slamming into trees...) "

Latest posts

Back