WBO-Fully Sprung Elgin- **Tested/Finished**

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. It's heading that way isn't it? The solution includes not cutting it. I did happen to bend a truss rod around to be able to look at an option to use on another bike or even this one.

Last edited:
SMore parts for you metal heads. These Schwinn pedals are an unmatched pair in fair shape that I put together. Each has its' original mechanical parts and were min.bent, & so I got them really straight with some vise and lever work. You Schwinnmasters are grinning ear to ear. Torrington's and Schwinn pedals forever. When I look at the design of this pedal, it just makes so much sense. Adjustable/rebuild-able.
IMG_2658_zpsbe269da7.jpg

XTR better re-size their bearings for the newest years' model!
IMG_2898_zpsc4873489.jpg

IMG_2892_zpse5aac371.jpg
IMG_2890_zpsbe2775e3.jpg

IMG_2889_zpsf1fe59a8.jpg
IMG_2888_zpsdc2b3be2.jpg

IMG_3122_zps231584ad.jpg

Look at that metal! The good ol days..:cry:

Last edited:
Yess that is looking freakin nice! Very cool with the slicks.

Yep. That was the exact look I had in mind 3 yrs. ago when this project was 1st hatched. It is with the original upper truss rods with the short look. In the photo, the rods are sunk into the springs sans the nuts. I will look for another crown/steer part to modify later, but in the meantime, an old truss rod idea..
IMG_2916_zpse1a8bcd0.jpg
IMG_2914_zpsfe668968.jpg

Last edited:
I tried a couple headset reducers , but they did not fit. In the mean time, I decided to use an old trick to "set" the upper headset race into the frame with Silicone glue. It sets up hard enough and is remove-able. This gives me side-to-side structure with give, no up and down, and maybe also help to "spring" this fully sprung bike..
IMG_2953_zps5f232508.jpg

The bottom cup-to-frame was next to center and let the rubber glue set up before installing the rest of the crown/steerer. Notice the frames multiple layers and weep holes..
IMG_2952_zps35be6a26.jpg

I cannot say how many times I screwed and un-screwed the upper headset cup onto the long steer tube when messing with the spacers. I expected this and am glad to be done with it.
Now I move on to more boring technical issues. The crank sprocket interface is a problem that I will have to solve next, and will use the silicone solution as well.
IMG_2874_zps1748edad.jpg

Last edited:
Re-tensioned and re-centered, then brass brush-cleaned the front wheel. I am glad I used linseed oil on the threads when I built them 38 years ago. It cleaned up nicely..
IMG_2965_zpsab750ab2.jpg

IMG_2977_zps46d22de3.jpg
IMG_2957_zps9ecb821f.jpg

IMG_2962_zpsf1faacd6.jpg

Both races and cones were clean, dirt free and happy. The 20 loose bearings are sealed by a 2-piece felt and metal washer sitting over the bearings, then a press-in dust cap over that,

Last edited:
I've been fiddling with some small shift-hardware mods and ideas. I always seem to have too many pulley's that don't fit the frame tube. Just modify it or make one up!
IMG_2886_zpsac000beb.jpg
IMG_2944_zps2618fff2.jpg

I also got distracted and bolted on my 47 Monarch Silver King lobdel seat carriage with chrome springs ...it looked altogether too pretty, but unfortunately comes from a complete seat, so...:cry:
IMG_2988_zps39fbf0fe.jpg

Bummed, I went back to beating the too-short old seat carriage bends out of
the 1st set of rails so it would put the springs at a better angle to the pan..I need to get going on the seat-post and crank/sprocket problem, then I can get it together and roll down the driveway. Tomorrow I will post pics of the matched stem and bars that came from my 30's Shelby modified pelaton punisher.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/pelaton-punisher-30s-shelby-flyer.83579/

IMG_2150_zpsaa7eca2f.jpg
IMG_2145_zpsad357fe3.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the cockpit setup. The stem and bar are original from the Shelby Flyer frameset above, and was the negative rise I was looking for. I used a shorter, rustier steer tube nut that I had in the parts boxes..
IMG_3004_zps67419fcf.jpg

IMG_3015_zps1989a79c.jpg

The stem follows closely the top tube slope, which was important. The riders eye view above the 24" wide bars........
IMG_3019_zps78cc14ee.jpg

Here is the solved sprocket centering problem I had to figure out.
IMG_3009_zps762575d0.jpg

Getting closer.

Last edited:
I found the original headset that came with the fork. It was in a box in a bag marked Roadmaster springer. I didn't remember I had it. So I happily abandoned the other headset. The cups fit the frame too. Duh...:banghead:. I also worked on getting all the purple paint off of the frameset & finishing the seat. Crazy, losta work ratting a seat..
IMG_2584_zps8736ff7c.jpg

This is the alloy front brake lever. Not marked except for the "r". It will be on the "L"-hand side . I may also opt for the old-style long-handled sturmey shifter that fits the bikes' look better. Need to hook up the shifter hardware, place the silver s&p caps carefully in their spot, then roll! I decided to not have fenders, a chain guard, racks, lights, flares, kickstands, bright paint, electronics or any other stuff that could make any noise or gather too much attention to the fully sprung stealth Rat with silver bells.(LTJ-s&p caps). Pics soon! :thumbsup: SKPC
IMG_2336_zps67784f46.jpg

Last edited:
I sorta jumped the gun LTJ. I want to mention some key items in the drivetrain. Since the chain is new, and the sprocket was crusty, I polished off the flats of the sprocket with emory cloth. The 10mm bolt thru the sprocket keeps the sprocket from spinning backwards on the crank when braking. I also have a correct Ichi sprocket b/o'd. The "bottle cage" holder is an old forged drawer pull. The chaingaurd was originally planned to be used, but decided the Elgin would be stripped clean. A mock-up picture..SKPC
IMG_3071_zpsf1e33931.jpg

IMG_3070_zps8072b0ea.jpg
IMG_3063_zps9bcd30c1.jpg

IMG_3052_zpsc19ba9dd.jpg

IMG_3077_zps8d9ff05b.jpg

Last edited:
The Elgin rolled today. Wow, this bike is smooth and quiet. It has suprised me. It's all and more of what I thought it could be. 40lbs of pure sprung Rat Bike. I will post these two pics for now, but I need a bit more time to appreciate what it is and break it in a bit................SKPC.:cool2:
IMG_3169_zpsa132c544.jpg

IMG_3129_zps440ad5a9.jpg

:13:

Latest posts

Back