(WBO) The Mojave Express (Some Assembly required!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score
Current pic

I had a hard time deciding what to build until I got a bunch of parts shipped to me from Marius. Thank You Very Much!

I have this 60s or 70s rollfast delivery I was thinking of making a flip bike, will save that for a later build.

So, I picked this scout up at the swap meet last month. Mostly complete, ran fast till I tried replacing the shifter cable and the brass end flipped off on Dec 23rd.

Imo, every bike collection is incomplete without a classic English Roadster in the Mix. This will be the build of mine.

This is how it sits now.

And the box of goodies from Marius.

I am limited on time for this build. Work and extra projects are in progress, so I will be working on a restification to a reliable roadster, plus hopefully add a few extras along the way.

Last edited:
Did a little digging and found some history on this bike, pretty cool.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1940s/1950s/1951-indian-scout-bicycle/

indian_scout_05.jpg

indian_scout_19-copy.jpg

I had never seen one in person till I found ths one at the swap meet. Kinda reminds me of the Robin Hood a guy down the street had while I was growing up.

Fresh find page has some extra info. http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/indian-scout-info.88635/
That's a cool head badge. This should be good.
I thought it was pretty cool to. Will probably color match some pain't to the existing red and restore it.

According to the article, your bike was made by Phillips.
I have seen references to Philips as well as to Dunelt.
Both quite similar if not the same in designs.

I noticed that. My wife asked if I was gonna flip em back upright. I said, nope, they look cooler that way ;-)
I dont think they are ment to be up,I think mine are more flat....

This is going to be cool! Lots of people don't give these bikes a second thought , until they see one fixed up.

I dont think they are ment to be up,I think mine are more flat....
I thought it was the original bar flipped To be moustache. But I maybe wrong. Tearing it down today, to bare frame. When its off the bike, I will be able to tell for sure.

This is going to be cool! Lots of people don't give these bikes a second thought , until they see one fixed up.
I agree big ape.

They are heavy lightweights. This one weighs about 45 lbs.

Finally figured out what to call it, was thinking crosstown express, which would be its functional name. If I want to ride to henderson, this will be the bike todo it.

So, I live right in the middle of the mojave desert. Take the two names and its the Mojave Express :)

I ended up working yesterday. So I only got it half tore down will take some pics later today.

Seatpost, was jammed into another seat post then pinned together, the neck was stuck quite well also. Both took a lot of twisting and pulling to disassemble.

The bolts in the cranks are stuck too. Let them soak overnight and will try again.

Isn't it fun to un-do stuff.....argghhhhh!!!! I keep lookin at the pic of the bike in the water. For some reason, it looks really good sitting there. I haven't seen another one here yet. Maybe it's the photo itself. You can see the lines of the bike really well..

Isn't it fun to un-do stuff.....argghhhhh!!!! I keep lookin at the pic of the bike in the water. For some reason, it looks really good sitting there. I haven't seen another one here yet. Maybe it's the photo itself. You can see the lines of the bike really well..

I agree, that photo set on that page is very well done.

60 hour work weeks make me slow on getting things done.

Frame is slightly bent at the head tube, wasn't strong enuff to strongarm it in with a bar so it stays.

Rust under all the paint, started out sanding then moved to 5" brush cup.

will be ready to paint by this coming weekend.

Latest posts

Back