NERRB Peaks Island Maine ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I know this is far for some of you. Those of you who came to the Kennebunk ride last summer...if you thought that was awesome you need to consider this. Peaks Island. Right off the coast of Portland Maine. Portland is about 25 minutes from Kennebunk. Short ferry ride to the island. Island is bike friendly, in fact more bikes than cars on the island. Great place to ride. If you don't want to bring a bike you can easily rent one for not much money on the island. I know this is far in advance but am seriously thinking about this and need to reserve a place to stay soon,by the next month or so. We could rent a house for the weekend and all pitch in or Shawn and I were thinking of renting it for a week and just have whoever wants to come up for a weekend or couple days and maybe donate some money towards it. Just throwing this out there. An awesome place to ride bikes! Im posting a link that you can check out. I know its a commitment and far in advance but anyone interested? And if you are interested I'm trying to see what would be the best time for everyone in summer to rent it...June , July, August??? September???http://peaksislandmaine.net/Peaks.shtml

Janes'sAddiction Annual Ride ? Sure will be there ,just narrow it down to
a month that works for you and it'll get voted on.:banana:...Stevil

That sounds like funnnnnnn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Janes'sAddiction Annual Ride ? Sure will be there ,just narrow it down to
a month that works for you and it'll get voted on.:banana:...Stevil
+1!
That looks like a great island for exploration – cool idea Jane.
Portland is an easy ride from here; it’s also an awesome place for seafood!

The calendar, so far, is clear for a ride in Maine!

Okay, so are we all in agreement that it should be in August? I am free any weekend in August. Also does anyone plan on staying the weekend? I need to factor that into the equation as well. Once the date is decided I can check out a couple different options to get us all out to the island. So someone pick a date or specify a date that you cannot come and we will figure it out. P.S. I am hoping that there will be many rides together before that!

Okay, so are we all in agreement that it should be in August? I am free any weekend in August. Also does anyone plan on staying the weekend? I need to factor that into the equation as well. Once the date is decided I can check out a couple different options to get us all out to the island. So someone pick a date or specify a date that you cannot come and we will figure it out. P.S. I am hoping that there will be many rides together before that!
No doubt! A Freeze your Beep-Off in March, the Swap Meet in February will hopefully have a ride too!

Here we go again, the hibernation is ending!!!

Beautiful over there, my family visits Popham beach almost every summer. Maybe we can incorporate this somehow..
Cool!

If I attend, I am considering making it a camping trip with family. I'll need to sort out the details and investigate campgrounds nearby.

Note to all you helpful NERRBS who post state parks and tent sites ... I'm old and do not sleep on the ground anymore. We sleep in our old camper.

Okay I have to hold off though until I get my taxes back to make a deposit on a place to stay out there. Unless someone else out there wants to secure a place on their creditcard and have everyone pitch in. I know that most of the places go fast and people reserve months before. I would ideally like to get a (rustic)= cheaper..house for the weekend and have people pitch in if they are staying over. I am hoping that some of you can stay the night and ride in the morning like we did last summer. By all means...bring girlfriends, spouses...if thats what it takes :) The only other thing to think about is the ferry ride over there. Do we all meet at my house and take one van to Portland filled with bikes to save on parking and ferry costs ? I am not aware of any cheap overnight parking in Portland so thats why I am trying to factor all of this in.Do we rent a hotel in Portland and just take our bikes on the ferry for the day and not stay on the island?That would probably be cheaper if we were doubling up on rooms and splitting the cost. So many things to think about! Maybe I was a little ahead of myself when I suggested this. So much easier if you all lived closer. I guess depending on who is coming we can figure it out as the time gets nearer. I think we can make it work though and if not..we can always just do the ride in Kennebunk like last year.

I'm in for early arrival on Sat and stay over.
How late is the last ferry back? What is the going rate for island over night? And how far is ferry from your place? Parking rates
are how much? We need to create a budget we can all live with. I don't want to bring a limo bus if we can't afford it.
:(...Stevil

How about if we rent a U-Haul van (w/trailer if needed) at the U-Haul dealer nearest your house, Jane?

We can then ride the van with all of us in it to the U-Haul dealer in Portland, drop it off, ride our bikes to the ferry, hang-out all day on the island or sleep over there, then, reverse the process the following/or later on that day. It’ll be cheaper to rent the van for a day on a one way drop-off over one/or two days 2X’s then it would cost each of us for parking or taking our cars onto the ferry.

U-Haul Kennebunk
http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Kennebunk-ME/Results/

U-Haul Portland
http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Portland-ME/Results/

How about if we rent a U-Haul van (w/trailer if needed) at the U-Haul dealer nearest your house, Jane?

We can then ride the van with all of us in it to the U-Haul dealer in Portland, drop it off, ride our bikes to the ferry, hang-out all day on the island or sleep over there, then, reverse the process the following/or later on that day. It’ll be cheaper to rent the van for a day on a one way drop-off over one/or two days 2X’s then it would cost each of us for parking or taking our cars onto the ferry.

U-Haul Kennebunk
http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Kennebunk-ME/Results/

U-Haul Portland
http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Portland-ME/Results/
That is definitely something to consider. I'm still trying to figure out a deposit on a place on the island. I would love that. Anyway I havent really gotten off my butt to inquire other than looking up places online but dont have the money yet anyway. We'll figure it out. I'll delve more into it tomorrow. Have we decided on a specific date yet? That would be crucial in making reservations of any sort.

How about if we tentatively schedule this weekend ride for Saturday and Sunday, August 15th and 16th?

It would be cool to spend the weekend on the island, but if that’s not possible, a hotel, camping or any other accommodations will be fine – the point will be for all of us to spend some time together!

Last edited:
Are we all in agreement for Saturday and Sunday, August 15th and 16th?

God-willing I'll have a two week old child then, so I think we can assume I won't make it again this year haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back