ELITISM IN RAT ROD BIKE COMMUNITY?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thought I'd bring this up as a topic of discussion.

As with all hobbies, it seems that there's a tendency for elitism to creep in and rear it's ugly head no matter how down to earth the hobby may be. Over the past 10 years I've seen it in just about every genre of bike building and collecting...some better and some worse. I don't think Rat Rodders are immune to it, but I will say that they tend to be a more laid back group that are generally encouraging no matter what someone's skill level or taste is.

That being said, examples of elitism that I've seen in the Rat Rod community tend to be similar to what you might witness in the traditional hot rodding scene. Only bikes built in a certain style or only vintage American made bikes built using period correct parts are acceptable. Another area might be in fabrication. If you can't fabricate, paint and do all the work yourself....not interested. Now I realize that there is value to period correctness and being able to fabricate and weld is an amazing asset, but should those be put up on a pedestal? Is that the end goal in all of this? What about the guy that swaps seats, spray bombs his bike, changes out the tires and grips....is he less of an enthusiast?

Now I don't bring this up because of any specific person or situation. I just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss. Have you witnessed what you would consider elitism in this hobby?

It could be elitism or it could be people not venturing out of where they are comfortable. Just has people have morales and values in real life, bike people develop their own taste and preference which determines the style or genre of bikes that they build or like.

The Challenges bring out the tallent or push you to find it . I dont see any Elitism here but if a guy can fabicate well i may check his status more often because i want to see what he's up to simply because thats what i'm in to .
It seams that every one has something to offer in one way or another .
Last year Crash killed the Muscle bike build off with it have a couple of guys dumping tons of cash in a bike ( Like i did ) and seasoned fabricators turning out mega builds . Hes also a valued friend i met through here .
We will all have our Favorite Members we watch . But i didnt ever consider any one better then any one else just one big ugly family thats all .

Hello,
Great topic (unfortunately)

I recently got a taste of this. I wont mention the site but I have experienced some collectors who clearly think of themselves as "Better Than".
Based on their correspondences with others, it is clear that there are some are impatient, intolerant and disrespectful of others who do not have the same knowledge base or share the same opinions.
I have been collecting for many years. I have some good skills and basic knowledge. However, I am not an expert nor do I have great fabricating skills. Due to my income (or lack of) I cannot restore my bicycles at a concourse level. They come out pretty but I take short cuts to save money. I have had collectors "pick apart" some of my restorations.

We all have our likes and preferences to certain eras and manufactures. I myself am very particular, only being into 1933-1943 (mainly) mens tank bicycles. I collect everything except Schwinns. But I can appreciate someone enjoying models I dont necessarily collect. It's what makes us human and interesting. I found that there are some people out there who dont accept you unless you like what they like or do things as they do.
I can honestly say I haven't seen that here!

It comes down to this: If you have a smile on your face, doing what you like, you are a success.

If you are bitter and feel the need to judge others you are most-likely unhappy and/or insecure.

Merry C mas everyone :)
Kris

I have not participated here all that long but I feel this site has much less elitism than most of the others I read, or have read. Sadly it is definitely here but I do not believe it is possible in this hobby, or any other, to eliminate it. The sad reality of life is there always going to be people that are closed mined, inconsiderate, feel they and what they do is better, disrespectful............. The many negative remarks about department store bikes is just one simple example of it in my opinion.

If we were all more kind and respectful this hobby and life in general would be so much better. All this being said I do really appreciate how you and the moderators work hard to keep this site civil and family friendly. Thank you for that.

It could be elitism or it could be people not venturing out of where they are comfortable. Just has people have morales and values in real life, bike people develop their own taste and preference which determines the style or genre of bikes that they build or like.

That's a good point. :)

Clicks and elitism are a way of life. I thought it would disappear once I got out of high school but I was wrong. They are in the hot rod world, work, and visable with groups at the bar on saturday night.

my two favorite quotes are written on the wall in the shop where I see them every day:

* What you say about me says a lot more about you than it does me"
* I don't care what you think about me, I don't think about you at all.

it only happens because people let it happen.

I've only been here for a year (and lurked for about a year before that), but I really haven't seen that much "elitism" on this forum.

All three of my questionable customizations so far have been of the "swap and bolt on" parts variety -- I can only dream of fabricating (or restoring) things to the level that some of the master craftsmen around here work their magic! :113: (So far I've only 'built' a stick shift from a Grip Shift from "plans" I found here, shaped a two-dimensional wooden fake "tank," force-fit and bobbed a fender, and made a few brackets out of stainless steel -- I'm not even sure I qualify for "amateur ratrodder" status yet. ;) )

While I'm sure a few "bike snobs" have read my posts, looked at the amateurish pictures, snorted derisively and muttered quietly about how I'm wasting perfectly good bandwidth, I've SEEN nothing but encouragement from the members here, and for that I'm grateful! :)

The only thing(s) keeping me from posting about my latest weird, hopefully reversible, and probably "beginner level" project is "where should I put it? 'Fresh Finds?' 'Build Thread' even though it's not much of a build? 'Bike Talk' since each of the individual questions might have some general interest, even though the finished product probably won't matter to very many people?"

While some people might question "why don't you want to make any permanent changes to the bike?" I don't really expect any disparaging remarks, either, even if it IS just another crappy, slightly unusual, department store bike.

I do really appreciate how you and the moderators work hard to keep this site civil and family friendly. Thank you for that.

Thanks Nagant, but I will say this crowd is pretty easy to moderate....i.e. not a whole lot of work to do really. Rarely do we ever have to delete posts or get on to anybody for steppin' out of line. I think has to do with the average age of the group here and the fact that most rat rodders are pretty laid back folks.

If we ever lose perspective....there's a sentence that should be repeated in one's head...

"I'm a grown man playing with bicycles."

Hopefully that should bring people back down to earth. :21:

other bike forums i checked out had young kids making remarks on what stuff should be & hot the hate or like certain bikes not looking into the greater picture of all the hard work that people do
i don't wels or cut a frame , i just bolt on what will work for what i have & peopl around say cool bike the negetivity is with not bike builders
groups of people are alway going to like one style or another , i use cheap bikes as a base for my builds

I've only been here a short time, but I think by and large most of the folks on this site are helpful and respectful. Any critiques I've seen have been constructive. Sure some people are more helpful than others, but we all have different natures. While we may have a common hobby, we're still a cross-section of society as a whole and we're all wired differently. I can't think of anyone on here that I would label as elitist, or just a turd, but the same can't be said of many other forums I frequent.

I have not noticed any elitism.

but then again, I am better than everyone else.

o_O:crazy::rolleyes:;)
(all these smilies are to show I am kidding)

"Any bike, cheap or expensive, is always greater than the sum of its parts."

QUOTE]
Um, I'm not sure of that. It seems that people want twice the value of my completed bikes just for the parts that I need to complete them!! Yeah, elitism is in every motorsport and hobby that I have been involved in. No, not because of me.............People love to act like the have the best or rarest etc. etc. and you have nothing but junk! It makes them feel good about their amassed goods! But, rat rod bikes and cars for that matter were supposed to be immune to elitism.............You throw some rusty junk parts together and go have some fun! I was amazed at the snob activity at a rad rod show, talking about period correct intakes, carbs, wheels, shifters etc. You can spend a mint trying to make a "correct hot rod" or vintage bicycle. Bottom line is get into a hobby because you enjoy it, not because you can afford much cooler equipment than most everyone else and you love to glout about it! We have some great members here that have some AMAZING rare bikes yet they just normal and down to earth.

I have not witnessed any. I've seen the opposite actually; some really talented dudes complementing and encouraging real noobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not witnessed any. I've seen the opposite actually; some really talented dudes complementing and encouraging real noobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm well the term "real noobs" comes off as elitism to me. But maybe you wanted it to sound that way. Then again maybe I'm overly elitism sensitive. :rofl:

I had a 31 Essex coupe for a while, I went to a lot of hot rod shows and events for even longer. As much as I love the cars, I couldn't stand the "traditional hotrod" people. Back to muscle cars for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back