Faux Patina techniques

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have been searching on here and cant seem to find any good how to's
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am sorry if i posted this in the wrong section.

One way I've tried before is spray the surface being painted in flat black then take a cheap can of red oxide spray paint and stand back a ways and mist the areas you want to look rusty

I was going to start a thread and then I found this one... So...
Who else has a way they weather a bike, or one they want to try?

I read this one today in a rat rod magazine. Sandblast to bare metal,
acid washed and then stained with oil based wood stain.
I have just the bare metal bike to try it on too.

Carl.

edit: Google Affliction Chevelle

Last edited:
I've also weathered model railroad boxcars and buildings with colored chalks and set with clear satin spray. I don't see why this wouldn't work either. Really good for nooks and crannys... or small textured parts.

Carl.

If you have raw steel, I've seen a mixture of vinegar, peroxide and water in a spray bottle used to give a real rust patina. Unsure of the % combination, but a quick google search should give you that info.

one of the recent build-off bikes had a wood tank that looked like rusted sheet metal. Can't remember how he did it. It was impressive.

Here's the build thread for this tank that I did last year...
100_4096_zpsacc40748.jpg

Maybe you can get some ideas that will help.

I think it also depends on your definition of patina. From Wikipedia: On metal, patina is a coating of various chemical compounds such as oxides, carbonates, sulfides, or sulfates formed on the surface during exposure to atmospheric elements (oxygen, rain, acid rain, carbon dioxide, sulfur-bearing compounds), a common example of which is rust which forms on iron or steel when exposed to oxygen. Patina also refers to accumulated changes in surface texture and colour that result from normal use of an object such as a coin or a piece of furniture over time. The second part I highlighted in blue, is what interests me. The colors that are faded and worn from age and use. It's not just rust. But the right kind of corrosion definitely adds to it.

Carl.

There are a number of different types of patina, so the first step is to study and find out what you want. Fading, cracking, chipping, scrapes, etc. Here is an example of a fairly complex rusty chipping old paint patina.
patina1_zpsbd7a96c7.jpg

You've basically got 4 main colors, white base, cracking red main coat, a dusting of red primer and a little brown rust here and there. The quality of the base coat in this case doesn't matter, in fact the worse the better. First an ugly base of white, the more chips and scratches the better.
patina5_zpsc34f0f79.jpg

Then a good coat of the top color red, and a dusting of red oxide primer over that (the red oxide primer is flat and dull, so it looks dirty/faded.
PATINA2_zpsbd9a3101.jpg

With a fine wet sand paper most of the red oxide coat is removed, leaving a little here and there. Next a very coarse piece of sand paper is folded and the edge is used to create the white detail of the cracking/chips/wear shows through. Then a little rust solution is added here and there to create rust spots in the chips. This solution is basically iron filings suspended in a sort of paint. In this photo the rust solution looks gray in some spots because it hasn't rusted yet.
PATINA3_zpse7010ba0.jpg

To finish it off the fork is wiped down with a greasy shop rag which stains the white paint and gives the whole fork a uniform low gloss finish.
patina4_zps8e9bc524.jpg

There's no doubt that there is more than one kind of patina. The wiki version I quoted would lean towards the natural as found, worn through time, finish. Seen on some awesome barn finds, and in my opinion the hardest to replicate convincingly. I like the browning and the blueing. I like the crackle finishes with contrasting colors underneath (although I like those finishes on furniture better) But in my mind the best patina is from rubbing a finish till it is worn off (or worn in, as the soft discoloring of leather) the way a section of a bike frame looks when a pants leg has been repeatedly rubbing against it for 80 yrs. It's not rust, but it's not pristine paint either.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back