1990ish Nishiki Pinnacle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm clueless when it comes to mountain bikes, but when I saw this unusually framed Nishiki on Facebook Marketplace for $20, I figured I could do something with it. Suntour XC components throughout. Did some research on it when I got it home: it was $1,000 new, a bit of a rarity, and the chain stays are called "elevated chain stays." I'll overhaul it and sell it to someone who would really appreciate it.
IMG_2743.JPG

Indeed! That's a special one. That thing was cutting edge technology for the time. And the crackle paint just screams late eighties! Early ninties? Whenever, it was the coolest thing in the radest styl that never took off. E stays disappeared after a couple of years

Indeed! That's a special one. That thing was cutting edge technology for the time. And the crackle paint just screams late eighties! Early ninties? Whenever, it was the coolest thing in the radest styl that never took off. E stays disappeared after a couple of years
I can see why. They just add extra weight. But I dig the look.

I've never ridden an e stay, so I can't confirm, but I've read a few (hundred) reviews. It seems that the design shortened the stay length, so they could put down power, and climb well. I would think that the added weight was too much for marketing departments to lift. Everything was about the lightness at that point.

Latest posts

Back