Captain Awesomes Fresh Finds/General Ramblings

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Awesome

👑 Lord of Irrelevance
Staff member
Admin
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Picked this gem up on its way to the landfill with another Huffy boat anchor. Glad I saved it

No idea what it is or significance. Just knew she needed saving

IMG_20200922_103653836.jpg
IMG_20200922_103647239.jpg
IMG_20200922_103726996.jpg
IMG_20200922_103721229.jpg

The Huffy should make an easy flip

It's a Nassau which appears to be pre Nel Lusso
IMG_20200922_104527749.jpg

Last edited:
Probably one of the longest running frames that Columbia did. 50s through 70s I think.
Love the paperboy handlebars too. That way you can mount a big basket up front. Yours is probably 1970s. I can't remember what year the BMA stickers started. Quality score!!!

Probably one of the longest running frames that Columbia did. 50s through 70s I think.
Love the paperboy handlebars too. That way you can mount a big basket up front. Yours is probably 1970s. I can't remember what year the BMA stickers started. Quality score!!!

Thanks KF!
I've been researching already. Torn with what to do with it. Flip or keep

I like that frame, really nice. The wishbone and twin bars... Also like the blade forks. I'd keep it, but my fleet is still in the "building" phase. I lack a non canti cruiser

She's all stripped down now. Gonna preserve that frame paint fade, clean up them wheels, and unsure about the rest

I sense a build coming on

View attachment 139474
I have a later model of the Columbia-built Newsboy, but mine is badged Rollfast. It had the same fenders, bars, seat, chainring, and the fat peaked fenders.
D507DFA3-F4F7-48F4-BA27-C96FECEDA717.jpeg

She's all stripped down now. Gonna preserve that frame paint fade, clean up them wheels, and unsure about the rest

I sense a build coming on

View attachment 139474
Poked my head in to see if it was for sale...glad you are keeping it...if you want to part with the fenders and braces..I'm interested.

Poked my head in to see if it was for sale...glad you are keeping it...if you want to part with the fenders and braces..I'm interested.
Please don't part it out, if you decide to sell and you don't mind packing and shipping, shoot me a PM with what you want for it!

Monitoring the local collection yard is proving lucrative. Scored this Schwinn Candis days ago for free. Grip shifters were toast as was the rear derailleur. No grips, and the bars were caked in typical coastal rust. Pumped up the tires, gave it a singlespeedectomy, threw on some Cranbrook bars and it's already sold.

Screenshot_20200922-193929~2.png

Lasted all of 1 day on Craigslist. A guy bought it for his wife and I see they already relisted it :21:

Mr Columbia's page on Newsboy Specials (archived, so slow loading):

Mr Columbia - Newsboy Special

BMA sticker started in '71-ish, and '75 was the last year for that frame style. Cool score :thumbsup:.
Thanks for that link to the MrColumbia page...I just lost 3hrs..some good reading and pics there.

Latest posts

Back