Emsbroek & Poesse Pathracer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
08Cxqk.jpg

3zjh4D9.jpg

4RFnR1T.jpg

Cg6Ocwa.jpg

Above: The tool kit for a flat tire underneath the leather saddle. FN10-22 holster for tools around the top tube. I did not cut and/or alter the holster, just used some militairy straps to hold it in place. The leather smells absolutely sexy.

bapv6VQ.jpg

f83FuD8.jpg

NeHc786.jpg

Above: EMPO carbide lamp. Will make it light up someday!

LmJfVY2.jpg

Above: Front brought down, the tire very close to the fork crown.
I really love the pattern on the sidewall of the rims. The little cracks of drought in the tire fit the ratty looks.

pmEVzIw.jpg

Self cut wooden pedals.

BIn9YNU.jpg

pEYRjCN.jpg

Leather lepper saddle :heart:
fRrUFKQ.jpg

Above: Half link chain, 48 teeth at the front, 18 at the rear.

04JltWZ.jpg

yovZwO0.jpg

CJzzP4d.jpg

bMcfprw.jpg

qo8NwRq.jpg

The 1913-ish EmPo Pathracer is done, my first buildoff on ratrodbikes after enjoying many buildoffs without participation.

I did cycle it from my hometown to where the original factory was and further. I cycled 141,5km (90 miles) in one day!

Ride video!! :banana:

I will type a little more information below, but if you would like to read the whole build story:

The build thread right here

The start:

I started with a frame I had laying around on my attic for many years. Some parts and:

• A 1950 - 1970 EmPo frame.
Z6yhKo0.jpg

3PlOEoX.jpg

• Parts at the start:
D6yx9zN.jpg

iqipVuy.jpg

VAJUPuR.jpg

dPPS5Z5.jpg

Inspiration:

Huge fan of the early 1900's Pathracers and old posters:
Path racers generally are very clean and thus, can be a bit boring... thats why I needed to work on a lot of details.
08J3RA.jpg

The build:

After finding the old "EMPO" carbide lamp I decided to search the internet for "old Dutch parts" and if I could not find any, try and fabricate it by hacking and filing.
I did not use any modern fasteners, all wing nuts/butterfly nuts/flat head screws or hexagon bolts. No allen and/or torx.

I filed my own coasterbrake arm, so that the rear hub would have this "vintage" feel whilst being modern. And spare parts are easy to find (Shimano CB-E110) so I can cycle for many miles.
fGy6hlM.jpg

b7E09n9.jpg

A holster from the early 1900's. Has seen Dutch service. It is for a FN 10-22 pistol. Now I can use it for tools:
SIYhN9u.jpg

Wooden pedals and grips, which hold up very nicely!
snvx3BE.jpg

Build specifications:
  • 1950 - 1979 (have not checked the frame number and date yet) Emsbroek & Poesse frame. Indestructable and large frame.
  • 28 x 1 1/2 "van Schothorst" Dutch stainless steel rims. Old and yet very common here.
  • Shimano CB-E110 rear hub. With self made coasterbrake arm, inner tube seals (they hold up very nicely!) and a militairy strap for the vintage looks. 18 teeth cog.
  • Union steel front hub, very thin and clean looking.
  • 1909 crankset with 48 teeth at the front.
  • Halflink black chain 1/2" x 1/8" size.
  • Early 1900's leather holster with enough tools to take the bicycle apart. And it smells great (wish that was taken into consideration with the build :crazy: :thumbsup: ). The holster is held in place with old Dutch militairy straps. The straps are shortened and re-riveted with copper rivets.
  • New setback seatpost, aged and a bit rusty.
  • Early 1900's "Gazelle" front fork.
  • Self filed front fork arms. The front wheel is much closer to the fork crown. This gives it a more aggressive look whilst steering very stable.
  • John Deere M8 aluminum cast selflocking butterfly nuts. Now fitted with M10x1 thread for the rear hub and aged with black paint and a cloth.
  • Duro creme tires 28 x 1 1/2" without reflection.
  • Handlebars of an old 1930's lawnmower. With very nice patina!
  • BMX stem, made it look patina and used M8 flat head steel screws instead of allen key screws.
  • Wooden mahogany grips from classic cycle in Germany.

Thank you ratrodbikes community for the help, tips, inspiration and kind words!

94qbOhZ.jpg

Last edited:
Such wonderful little details add up to something very special. Kudos.
Thank you! All the details and filing took quite some time. Too bad you can't always show that on pictures... especially the voting picture :grin:

BRE, this is one of the best Finished Threads I've ever seen! You detailed some info about your creative add-ons, included great photos, and your 'historical ride' was an epic adventure unmatched in any build I've seen in my six years here on the build forum!

Well done. Hope to see you back for more fun in the years ahead! :41:

BRE, this is one of the best Finished Threads I've ever seen! You detailed some info about your creative add-ons, included great photos, and your 'historical ride' was an epic adventure unmatched in any build I've seen in my six years here on the build forum!

Well done. Hope to see you back for more fun in the years ahead! :41:
Thanks again! Appreciate it all. It was a fun build and learned a lot about wood working, ratina job, gasser paint jobs ;)
I hope to build alongside RRB forum again.

The pictures my nephew made are absolutely gorgeous, I probably can't change the voting picture at this point, but that's ok, the first picture is great, with its early morning light and colours. It shows the details pretty well.

Enjoy the ride video and the new pictures in the first post :thumbsup:

I truly enjoyed following this build a great deal. Killer attention to detail and excellent ingenuity on parts. What a great build!
CONGRATS!

I truly enjoyed following this build a great deal. Killer attention to detail and excellent ingenuity on parts. What a great build!
CONGRATS!
Thanks Kingfish! Appreciate that :thumbsup:

Beautiful bike!
WOW!!! Amazing ride. My favorite so far. 100% vote from me. Congrats on this stellar build!
Thanks guys!!

Thank you for bringing us this bike, Bart. My grandfather was an avid cyclist, fought in the Dutch Resistance during ww2, this reminds me of him so much.
You are more than welcome Matti! Really enjoyed the build and the kindness and coolness this forum gives!
Did you know your grandfather well?

Very well. Pake and Beppe's place was my second home. He taught me many life lessons; how to fish, mechanics, how to exist as a decent human in a world gone mad, and to do it all with class.

*He tried to teach me the class thing...

Great looking vintage rat bike. Done in the true spirit of what these builds are all about. Well done!

Very well. Pake and Beppe's place was my second home. He taught me many life lessons; how to fish, mechanics, how to exist as a decent human in a world gone mad, and to do it all with class.

*He tried to teach me the class thing...
Sounds like a good relationship. Thanks for sharing Matti!

Great looking vintage rat bike. Done in the true spirit of what these builds are all about. Well done!
Thanks Mazdaflyer, I did enjoy your build aswel, beautiful machines!

Great shot (all your shots actually), great build! On a side note, I've been hooked on Peaky Blinders since inception. Like a truck stop lot lizzard on meth.
Thank you Johhny Wolf, Peaky Blinders is awesome, then you probably also know: "The Harley and the Davidsons", and Snatch :thumbsup:

I really like how this bike turned out, what a great machine to ride in the countryside, or anywhere! Your build thread is so well documented, and I admired all of your design touches. Cool!

I really like how this bike turned out, what a great machine to ride in the countryside, or anywhere! Your build thread is so well documented, and I admired all of your design touches. Cool!
Thank you OC! If we lived close together we could ride somewhere on/offroad with our oldies!

Latest posts

Back