High Plains Drifter Custom 1962 Murray Sabre Challenger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
High Plains Drifter. 1962 Murray Sabre Challenger
2C624857-74F4-4432-A61D-E440ED14F274.jpeg

Specs:
•1962 Murray Sabre Challenger BF Goodrich 16” frame
•1960’s Shimano 333 3 speed Shift kit
•1960’s Stewart Warner Speedo
•1960’s Rim Brake custom mounted to the sissy bar aka (Sissy Brake)
•26” wheel set and tires
•Shimano 333 3 speed hub laced with thick spokes
•Aftermarket 24” bent springer fork (Lowrider)
•Original crank and chainring
•Schwinn Traveler front fender (rear mounted)
•Banana seat, sissy bar & handlebars (Walmart bike)
•New Brake cables & Grips
•Aftermarket headlight & bell
•New Rat Trap Pedals
•Rustoleum Gloss Grape rattle can paint
Custom Touches
•Sissy Brake (rim brake mounted to the sissy bar)
•Bell rings with the squeeze of a brake lever
•Spikes used to dress up the chainring and handlebar grips
•Spike used to attach the rear fender
C2420AB7-D5C1-46FD-ABB3-78F2DEAFDC2C.jpeg

I bought this bike well over 15 years ago and sat as yard art for many years in a garden. By the time I had pulled it from the garden, this already rusty and crusty bike had rusted away it’s fenders, along with the frame stays. The frame, crank & chainring and chain guard were the only items salvageable. The plan was to cobble a bunch of parts together and make a roller for easier storage. Then I found this great forum at a perfect time and decided to go for a complete build. A few hiccups along the way didn’t keep me from finishing, fortunately. I was able to create a couple of custom touches to make it unique. Since the stays had rusted away and that I wanted to build a 3 Speed, I needed to find a way to attach a brake. So I decided to mount the brake on the sissy bar by building a mounting fixture from copper tubing. I also made the bell to be rung with a hand brake. Some relief in the rear dropouts allowed me to gain tension on the chain and a little wiggle room for the 26” tires. The frame is a very small middleweight, measuring at 16”. The 26” tires makes the bike comfortable and very rideable, while allowing use of a 24” bent springer fork. The Shimano 333 3 speed is a lot of fun and very fast being connected to a Shimano 3 speed hub. This bike is at its limits on what I could really do with this small frame. I’m really happy with it and had a blast building it and being part of this forum. I hope you enjoy it. I do!

E6111887-5793-42A3-BD84-7C16BECF18EC.jpeg
433F512B-083C-4959-B8D0-183EC2B9D4C7.jpeg
B85183E9-1665-44F5-8D11-3D8C9BCB5BD6.jpeg
B8E54C03-374F-46D4-9F1F-AD01B00E34A2.jpeg
297B1C6E-8420-43F5-A45F-080E5DABDFC4.jpeg
71C59D30-7773-4DF1-8101-88F8107D4F6C.jpeg
B1E93DA8-CBD7-49BE-9951-F03297DAE421.jpeg
17F0DBDC-5C1A-484B-ADC9-562ED72D27BB.jpeg
29FC30FA-0630-4A17-A9A0-1CC3DCFF82A0.jpeg

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...lains-drifter-walk-around-video.111104/latest

Last edited:
High Plains Drifter. 1962 Murray Sabre Challenger
View attachment 136645
Specs:
•1962 Murray Sabre Challenger BF Goodrich frame
•1960’s Shimano 333 3 speed Shift kit
•1960’s Stewart Warner Speedo
•1960’s Rim Brake
•26” wheel set and tires
•Aftermarket 24” bent springer fork (Lowrider)
•Original crank and chainring
•Schwinn Traveler front fender (rear mounted)
•Banana seat, sissy bar & handlebars (Walmart bike)
•New Brake cables & Grips
•Aftermarket headlight & bell
•New Rat Trap Pedals
•Rustoleum Gloss Grape rattle can paint
View attachment 136670
I bought this bike well over 15 years ago and sat as yard art for many years in a garden. By the time I had pulled it from the garden, this already rusty and crusty bike had rusted away it’s fenders, along with the frame stays. The frame, crank & chainring and chain guard were the only items salvageable. The plan was to cobble a bunch of parts together and make a roller for easier storage. Then I found this great forum at a perfect time and decided to go for a complete build. A few hiccups along the way didn’t keep me from finishing, fortunately. I was able to create a couple of custom touches to make it unique. Since the stays had rusted away and that I wanted to build a 3 Speed, I needed to find a way to attach a brake. So I decided to mount the brake on the sissy bar by building a mounting fixture from copper tubing. I also made the bell to be rung with a hand brake. Some relief in the rear dropouts allowed me to gain tension on the chain and a little wiggle room for the 26” tires. The frame is a very small middleweight, measuring at 16”. The 26” tires makes the bike comfortable and very rideable, while allowing use of a 24” bent springer fork. The Shimano 333 3 speed is a lot of fun and very fast being connected to a Shimano 3 speed hub. This bike is at its limits on what I could really do with this small frame. I’m really happy with it and had a blast building it and being part of this forum. I hope you enjoy it. I do!

View attachment 136704View attachment 136705View attachment 136706View attachment 136707View attachment 136709View attachment 136710View attachment 136711

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/i...lains-drifter-walk-around-video.111104/latest

...... build! Purple power!

You really nailed that '60s vibe on this build! I love the parts list that goes " '60s this and '60s that, and '60s these " , it really says it all!

The one thing I noticed in the videos is how much bigger the bike looks when you're on it. When it stands alone, because of that small frame, it has a look of being a 24" wheeled bike. But when you are riding it it looks very comfortable and a good fit.
Well done! :thumbsup:

You really nailed that '60s vibe on this build! I love the parts list that goes " '60s this and '60s that, and '60s these " , it really says it all!

The one thing I noticed in the videos is how much bigger the bike looks when you're on it. When it stands alone, because of that small frame, it has a look of being a 24" wheeled bike. But when you are riding it it looks very comfortable and a good fit.
Well done! :thumbsup:
Thank you! @OddJob that was what I was really going for. The mix of parts really allowed this bike to ridden by an adult without looking small. The 26” tire in a 24” wheel springer makes it look like a Lowrider without being very low. It is at a comfortable size and rides well. Glad you like it!

Very cool, beautiful purple. Consistent components throughout. Fun use of shag and detailed metal bits. Unique brake mount as well.

Thought Seth Rogen was taking your bike for a ride:21:
Thank you! I’m glad you like it. And I’ve been mistaken a few times for Seth Rogan. Just a few days ago someone repeatedly said “hey man! I love your new movie! I was going in to ace hardware and just ignored him. When I was younger I got mistaken for Seth Greene. I’m in and from Kansas.

Thank you! I’m glad you like it. And I’ve been mistaken a few times for Seth Rogan. Just a few days ago someone repeatedly said “hey man! I love your new movie! I was going in to ace hardware and just ignored him. When I was younger I got mistaken for Seth Greene. I’m in and from Kansas.
Hope you're not offended, I was momentarily like what when the video started.

What a fun build to follow!! You should have called it the Fast and the Furriest!!!
I am glad that I watched the ride video. For some reason I had it in my mind that this was a 20" bike. It is even cooler now that I know it is an adult sized 26" ride.
Ride it with pride man!
CONGRATS!!

I too thought this was a smaller bike, but you riding it puts in into perspective. Nice 60's vibe on this build: a little psychedelia, a little hot rod. Rat Rod for sure.

Latest posts

Back