Sort of virtual classic bicycle 31 day race

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol can I use a distance o meter to figure out how old Duck Norris is? About 25km on the old (but is it old enough?) bird. I like being Canadian, kilometers make me sound 1.6 times better than I am
We are officially on the metric system since president Carter. No one ever required us to change. I remember Canadian radio giving the temps in both systems, then having dual speed limit signs and finally having gas pumps give both liters and gallons. I think each change lasted a year before the metric system officially replaced it. In three years you had completely converted. Last I looked the USA and Nigeria were the only countries using the English system and I think Nigeria has now switched. I have bicycles that have Wetworth, metric and SAE nuts and bolts on them. The bike is English, went to Italy where a metric seat post guts was installed and finally to the USA where SAE chain tugs were put on it. Wah!

Yes we converted to metric, but I still weigh about 200 pounds, just about 5'10", and my toolbox always needs both metric and old fashioned. Some things will always be the same. Think I'll go grab a 113.398 gram burger

Last edited:
I rode 81.14 miles today but it doesn’t count for the 31 day race. I used my carbon fiber and aluminum 2015 road bike. I think my Paramount is just as fast, I really I think it’s faster. It’s oversized steel tubing and stiff, while the new bike is mushy. 284.53 miles this week and I took yesterday off to stack wood and rest my legs. So I still only have 216 points.

I needed a rest. I stacked wood, replaced a saddle and brought down a different bike to ride. I hoisted the Peugeot back up into attic storage after I tightened the cranks. It was a sluggish day.
I took yesterday off to stack wood and rest my legs.
Your off days would kill me. Your idea of retirement terrifies me. You are a legend.

Your off days would kill me. Your idea of retirement terrifies me. You are a legend.
I’m having trouble walking across the room this morning. My legs are shot. I’d like to ride this evening but I have to feel a whole lot better. It’s raining anyways, I’m staring out the window and trying to keep awake. This might be enough of an excuse. I want to ride my Cycle Gutaine racing bike next. It’s got very tall gearing. Then I’m switching to single speeds. My doctor is a road biker and he want to be like me when he grows up. It’s good I can still inspire people. I went for a group mountain bike ride. I had a 30s klunker. The gals wanted my picture. “What for, don’t post it”. “No we want to show our husbands what there going to look like when their 70”. I don’t get it but ok for the picture.

Lol: I have and ‘07 TREK that gets 100 miles a week like clockwork!

Let me cobble something together. This sounds like a blast!
100 miles a week will defiantly give me a challenge. I’m shortly moving on to single speeds, some are fixed gear track bikes. I’ll have to take the track bikes to a big parking lot that is a mile around and has night lighting. Problem is it’s 66 miles away, 132 round trip.

Lol: I have and ‘07 TREK that gets 100 miles a week like clockwork!

Let me cobble something together. This sounds like a blast!
I have a vintage Peugeot with downtube shifters and modern wheels that would be a quick candidate, but that seems almost too easy.... I’m thinking.... uh....
C35C9EA8-1440-4968-A178-4B9D3A81DD8D.jpeg

Ok: so, I have a wasted un-identifiable Murray or western flyer something or other and a fresh, trash picked huffy women’s 3 speed with pretty true wheels!!!!

Looks like a match made in heaven!!!!

Maybe I can slap something together and start this challenge August 1st!!!!

Anyone know off hand if the serial number on the “crusty critter” is on the rear drop or bottom bracket?
E5502CE7-33F4-4402-891B-EAA696F95B3F.jpeg
07E29A55-8629-4BC7-A865-7104AE5D7609.jpeg

Last edited:
216 previous points. Today I added 26 miles in the rain on my 1960s Cycles Gantouis road racing bicycle. 5 points for a different bicycle so I now have 247 Points. Huge chainrings and a pine cone. Pretty flat ride but I did better with the tall gears than I figured I would. The frame fits me, it has the original old style long gooseneck but the cockpit was too scrunchy. What were the bike engineers thinking back then?

216 previous points. Today I added 26 miles in the rain on my 1960s Cycles Gantouis road racing bicycle. 5 points for a different bicycle so I now have 247 Points. Huge chainrings and a pine cone. Pretty flat ride but I did better with the tall gears than I figured I would. The frame fits me, it has the original old style long gooseneck but the cockpit was too scrunchy. What were the bike engineers thinking back then?
Quick question: the first bike ridden or “base bike” -is that 5 points or is it 5 points per bike after the first bike ridden?

Quick question: the first bike ridden or “base bike” -is that 5 points or is it 5 points per bike after the first bike ridden?
Five additional points for each different bike. Different bike for 10 rides = 50 points + any mileage points you get. The idea is for people to “race” and to ride all their old bikes that might normally remain neglected this year.

D1: 40mi - 68' Hawthorne
D2: 0mi
D3 40mi - 68' Hawthorne
D4 40mi - 68' Huffy Rail
D5 27mi - 68' Stingray
D6 10mi - 68' Stingray
D7 40mi - 68' Stingray
D8 27mi - 68' Hawthorne
D9 0mi

224+5+5=234

Found the Princess
View attachment 131344
The race is on. I’ve been feeling a little poorly lately. No temp but I have a slight cold coming on, probably from riding many miles in the cold poring rain. LOL, it’s nice now but I haven’t been riding.

Five additional points for each different bike. Different bike for 10 rides = 50 points + any mileage points you get. The idea is for people to “race” and to ride all their old bikes that might normally remain neglected this year.
I’m wearing my bike shorts for my stingray ride!!!

Day one for my challenge started today!

So, this was hard! This thing, (TREK 3900) Since 2007, has NEVER been put up in storage!!!!
894F8D10-59CA-4791-A7A3-1F1489B90E31.jpeg

After an early AM pedal swap & spiffy tune, I borrowed the wife’s old Raleigh Technium.
CBE24E28-B768-411C-B41E-BE80BF365B4A.jpeg

The chain was definitely dry and had a few spots of light surface rust on it. -the closest petroleum based product I could find during my tuneup was marvel mystery oil, which I promptly put on the chain and dag-gum! It worked great!!!!

I did my Regular Saturday morning 20 mile ride.

So uh.... after riding a 39 pound bike pretty much exclusively the past 13 years, this little rocket was quite the experience!!!!!

Two words for ya; Rolling Resistance
Holy moly! Thing made my ride cake!!!

Next up; Huffy Time!!!!!

Latest posts

Back