BO15 Grammaw Patina Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool; I actually found some wheels online that fit my budget!

Grammaw’s got a new pair of shoes!!!!

I didn’t want to mess with putting on the front forks to show both wheels: this is just a mock up to see how close the blue is.

2366F534-8E10-402B-A55C-0D71DAB16958.jpeg

785503B7-3ED6-4B6B-9B1C-2125C33D39C3.jpeg
044CE0B6-E7A0-4382-8270-B7C3653365AA.jpeg
One quick note: as I really wanted to do blue tires, I thought that may be a little much.....

I have ordered a pair of black tires... -which I could put on my red sears bike if I don’t use on the GPB.

-any votes for blue tires vs. black?

IMHO, blue tires might be overwhelming. What about cream?
Thanks! I’m with you on the blue.... (although the red tires on my red Columbia I think look epic!). I’ve debated the white too.

I thought about the white or cream tires, but was afraid that may be too busy... there’s a lot of white stripes and stuff on this thing already.

I’m definitely going to add a basket and/or wine box to the front and back and was going to possibly do that in white....

I’m definitely looking for a custom look, but I’m trying to keep it from being too busy.

Thanks! I’m with you on the blue.... (although the red tires on my red Columbia I think look epic!). I’ve debated the white too.

I thought about the white or cream tires, but was afraid that may be too busy... there’s a lot of white stripes and stuff on this thing already.

I’m definitely going to add a basket and/or wine box to the front and back and was going to possibly do that in white....

I’m definitely looking for a custom look, but I’m trying to keep it from being too busy.

I've got white tires. You don't want white tires

cok-91800_xl.jpg

:giggle:

Blue plus blue could match up and look good, but more likely it'll be just enough off to clash. Blue tires are for chrome frames. Or black. Rules are rules ;)

hes-right-you-know-image-566702-morgan-freeman-53644077~2.png

I haven't used rubber rim strips on any of my custom build bikes; and I work at a bike shop where I can get them for a dollar a piece or less. Road bikes have traditionally come with rim tape, it stays in place, and isn't any heavier than a rubber rim strip.

So, in the tradition of 'rat rod bikes', I have used Gorilla tape or heavy duty duct tape on all my RRB builds since day one. And I have not had a flat since.

Plus, you'll never have to wait for rim strips to arrive and halt your process on a build!

I haven't used rubber rim strips on any of my custom build bikes; and I work at a bike shop where I can get them for a dollar a piece or less. Road bikes have traditionally come with rim tape, it stays in place, and isn't any heavier than a rubber rim strip.

So, in the tradition of 'rat rod bikes', I have used Gorilla tape or heavy duty duct tape on all my RRB builds since day one. And I have not had a flat since.

Plus, you'll never have to wait for rim strips to arrive and halt your process on a build!
Yep! Duct tape works brilliantly!

Ha-Ha! Thanks for the insight OJ!!!!!

Cracks me up!!!! Gorilla tape is my go to for all the bikes I ride, BUT I’ve never had anyone confirm it was OK to do!!!

(I’ve actually used it to cover complete wheel Rot-through and have it work just fine on 5 mile rides!)

As This bike is not necessarily for me, I wanted to err on the side of safety, so I went with the rim strips.

On future builds, I’ll stick with the old gorilla tape that I always have on hand!

Thanks!!!!!

Nice wheelset!
I have used electrical tape many times for rim strips. The only time I have bought real rim strips was for the rims that have decorative or speed holes on them. Then you need something that it purdy and sturdy.

So, I’ve been preoccupied with some other bikes; I’m going to start getting after this bike now.

As it’s been awhile since my last work on this, I did a re-wash and rust removal.

I also pounded out some dents and hopped up the front fender, which I did not notice before.

The bike is all set so, Boom! Boiled linseed oil on!!!!

I also picked up a rat-trap rear rack to match the front. I think I’m going to do them in gloss black.
8F62E9D0-D824-4F7A-9BE9-B6026B042869.jpeg
454CF562-C5CB-49D9-8480-0ABB36356098.jpeg

Latest posts

Back