BO15 a short "Sketchy" ride video.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Major Edit: Sketchy starts on page 4, Little Neutrino will eventually be rebuilt but I just don't have everything I want to do it right and I don't want to do a half measure... So Sketchy is in it's place.
Thanks!
Carl.

Blowing this apart. Note the flattened out stays. It was that way when I found it and it has always bothered me. Little Neutrino has the oldest bike frame I own. It's a '36 Hawthorne and it's also how I found this place looking for info. So stay tuned for my atomic punk's transformation.
a8c0f1e866d5d92c9aa0b15c36a3eac3.jpg
38b53fd68ad6a438a78be75214734e52.jpg
315ef94afd9c3271dc8479c07d9e0c1e.jpg

Carl.

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sounds like you're going to have a 'blast' with this build, Carl! RaT oN~!

I always loved the details on this bike. It will be fun to see how you repurpose them.

I always loved the details on this bike. It will be fun to see how you repurpose them.
One thing I'm going to try is lighting the plexi tank. I believe LEDs will work if I drill them into the edge of the plexiglass. Should light the edges of the layers. That'll probably be down the road a bit.

GC.

Always fun to watch a Carl build.
Thanks man, I'll be trying some new techniques, so I'm hoping it'll at least be entertaining.

GC.

Reactions: Fv2
One thing I'm going to try is lighting the plexi tank. I believe LEDs will work if I drill them into the edge of the plexiglass. Should light the edges of the layers.

I used to mess with that stuff. Here's a plexiglass clutch cover for a Hayabusa

Back lit
20161231_182658_zpsfy5oxayy.jpg

Vs edge lit

20161231_183325_zpsebgn9cna.jpg

Really like this bike, but we, and it, will go back to the elements someday, so why not. Good luck with the build.

furyus

Last edited:
I won't be cutting her up just yet...
I will be working on a bender made from plywood that's been discussed on here before, although it has been a while. But it's basically a buck laying on it's side with a lever that bends the pipe around it. I think to really get it right, I need to acquire some tubing first, then create the buck to fit the tubing diameter and then bend it. So I'm on the hunt for tubing. Any ideas on the type I need to bend teardrop shaped stays? We've got a scrapyard / metal supply in town. I'm not sure if they're considered essential to the state at large, but I'm guessing they'll be open.

GC.

I won't be cutting her up just yet...
I will be working on a bender made from plywood that's been discussed on here before, although it has been a while. But it's basically a buck laying on it's side with a lever that bends the pipe around it. I think to really get it right, I need to acquire some tubing first, then create the buck to fit the tubing diameter and then bend it. So I'm on the hunt for tubing. Any ideas on the type I need to bend teardrop shaped stays? We've got a scrapyard / metal supply in town. I'm not sure if they're considered essential to the state at large, but I'm guessing they'll be open.

GC.
Can you find the curves you want by cutting up existing scrap frames?

The fillet brazing on that frame is so cool. Will you keep the raw finish to show that off? (you probably already covered this, but you know, I'm old)

Can you find the curves you want by cutting up existing scrap frames?
I doubt I'd be able to find teardrops like these built by a guy in California.
IMG_20200505_210219371.jpg

I've messaged him and got the thumbs up to copy his design.
So, imagine the back of this bike on the frame of Little Neutrino.

GC.

Well it's fast and sketchy, but here's my obligatory virtual mockup.
virtual neutron.jpg

I'm also thinking I'll kick the frame angle back just a little bit more than I did here.

GC.

The fillet brazing on that frame is so cool. Will you keep the raw finish to show that off? (you probably already covered this, but you know, I'm old)
I've got a transparent red fade to bare metal in mind...

Carl.

Still looking for advice on the type of steel tubing I should be looking for.
and...
I need to sort out a drive train, I don't know if I'll keep it skiptooth or not. Front tire will likely stay skinny, I do like that dragster look. But I have no idea what back wheel I'll be using. All other accoutrements are on the chopping block as well. The cymbal parts will probably end up on a guitar down the road. The ratty Delta headlight is out, as is the little airplane that sits on the crossbar. My pinstriper buddy has been noticing that he hasn't done any of my bikes so there's that...
The sheet of plywood is for some pieces for a beekeeper I know. I gotta get on that so the leftovers can be used for my bender. All in good time. I should hook up the 220v in my other garage and move my big ARC welder and the MIG I inherited over there, so I don't have to 110v wire feed this.

Verrt said:
Every time Little Neutrino would come out to ride you'd find little copper coils in Carl's wake. :bigsmile:
This is my second or third favorite Carl build, think maybe the first one I saw in person.

It's my wife's favorite of your's, @GuitarlCarl.
There's things I love on this one too and I can't afford one of those full custom frames like a couple of the Taildraggers have. So I'll continue to modify and upgrade bikes I have until it is a full custom frame. :nerd: or I sell a couple three or four... I miss seeing you both.

GC.

Latest posts

Back