Exercise bike stand

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep buying used stationary bikes to get more exercise, but they are all too uncomfortable to use. Nothing like being on a real bike, so I decided to get a bike trainer stand and build my own exercise bike to use in the new year. I sold the idea to my wife saying I could use one of the ladies bikes I had bought for parts so there wouldn't be much cost involved. I picked up a stand locally off Facebook Marketplace for $20 and was working up my plan when this shows up on Marketplace. I showed it to my wife but she was not impressed. I said if I am going to build an exercise bike why not do it with style. The CFO in her still said NO. :(

LOL
9dad119f1836c2c6c2a27145f9e2f8e8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Handy Andy:
I had a set of your tools when I was 6 years old. But, back to the topic at hand. I set up a bike on a trainer when my wife had hip surgery. We both continue to use it. Me, only when there is weather that keeps me from pedaling outdoors. I have a TV hung from the joists in the basement in front of the bike. I would definitely buy the bike in your picture, but it wouldn't work well with a trainer. You need something with a derailleur, like an old 10-speed or a mountain bike, because you need to change gears to vary the resistance as you pedal.

Pictured is an open frame Panasonic 10-speed. I have since switched to a Nishiki 12-speed mixte; same difference. Also to consider, the wife and I have separate sets of seat posts/saddles with marks on the posts so that we can switch out seats and set them at the right heights for each us.
Have fun!
panasonictrainer.jpg

Thanks for the info. I was planning to use a single speed rear wheel as the stand has a lever that attaches to the handlebars to adjust the resistance.

Got me an exercise bike now. Not the frame I intended to use, but it works just fine for me. I fought for 3 hours or so to get the sprocket side crank off the other frame and by the time I beat, heated, hack sawed and chiseled the crank off, the bearing cover piece was wopperjawed in the bottom bracket and not coming out probably not even with the proper tool, which I don't have (yet!).
I grabbed the other frame and cut my losses. Raided my parts and mixed an matched my way to a rider. Originally was going to use some nice cruiser bars, but they were too awkward to get around to mount the bike. Amazing how much more difficult a bike is to mount and dismount when you can't lean it over!!! LOL

Next will be to build a shelf on the front to hold my tablet, some zip-ties to hold the resistance control cable out of the way of the crank and some comfy handlebar grips.
ccfac0e3c1890e92b75f0b87e239bdf4.jpg
6974aa261fc14f3fea7964dbd7eb35f2.jpg
f0dbc79b46c7e09d2b5863bb39badc23.jpg
3d121a547aaa3bffc4a96145b3c1ed4d.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one of my winter bikes. I'm currently riding this as we had ice, rain and now a foot of wet snow on top of that mess. I can't ride my fat bike or studded tired bike in these conditions so this is my alternative. I watch TV while riding or sometimes I put my cell phone on the bars and take it outside and watch road bike training videos. It's pointed at the TV in this photo. I hate riding this thing but one of my 74 year old buddies puts over a 1000 miles on his each ear and another 1000 on the road. He has me beat, but he doesn't ride my distances or do any mountain biking. He rides pretty much every day, either on the road or on his trainer.
IMG_1827.JPG

I will also be adding a computer to my exercise bike. This one does the usual speed and mileage plus cadence and heart rate. Had to get one that does cadence as I needed the rear wheel speed sensor. Front wheel sensors don't work too well on a stationary bike! LOL
7f9277808bdd76cbf6f43d0d04c6b5a0.jpg

The computer was a waste of money. It doesn't register the speed and distance. Seller wants ME to make a YouTube video on how I installed it. Forget that.
Anyway, I have moved to exercise bike v.2.0 with a DelSol ladies frame. The top tube is a few inches lower which helps with mounts and dismounts. LOL. New frame is also 2" longer between the seat tube and head tube which also makes things easier. Plus the little thingies that held the 3 speed shift cable do a great job of locating the resistance control cable. I can live with the lavender paint job in exchange for these benefits, and the frame just looks cooler too.
31a5be14bf39ca5edd7db40972e464ff.jpg

My poor man's spin bike! LOL

Okay, so it's pink. It's in a little nook in the storage room and nobody will see me ride it, but family. Besides, how many spin bikes have classic white walls?
Black knob on the handlebars controls the resistance. White thing on the other side is a windup kitchen timer. In the middle is a cruiser cup holder and a place to put my tablet for reading or entertainment while riding.
1b453d4c2ad79de5e94b3585d6abeda1.jpg
a9191ba56d73a88ebe987878cfe0cd4e.jpg

Last edited:
I will also be adding a computer to my exercise bike. This one does the usual speed and mileage plus cadence and heart rate. Had to get one that does cadence as I needed the rear wheel speed sensor. Front wheel sensors don't work too well on a stationary bike! LOL
7f9277808bdd76cbf6f43d0d04c6b5a0.jpg

My sensor is on the back wheel. My cyclometer was a type where you could buy extra long wires to reach the back wheel with the cyclometer on the bars. This unit has worked for 3 years on the same battery. I like it because it is simple, tells me how long and how far. That is all I want to know. I use it on the cyclops trainer and on the road, same bike, no changes so I like that. This unit cost a little more than the cheap internet ones but is so much better.

My sensor is on the back wheel. My cyclometer was a type where you could buy extra long wires to reach the back wheel with the cyclometer on the bars. This unit has worked for 3 years on the same battery. I like it because it is simple, tells me how long and how far. That is all I want to know. I use it on the cyclops trainer and on the road, same bike, no changes so I like that. This unit cost a little more than the cheap internet ones but is so much better.
What brand is it?

The red pieces are from the DelSol man's bike I have. Factory striping is pretty good and I wanted it on this bike. Both the red and the pink bikes were bought just to get their wheels, which included Nexus rear hubs I wanted for other bikes. The lady's frame was painted satin black as well as all the fender braces.
50f09a257cfdf0e2559134c3a3506469.jpg
1669c68e79d36f3e8b639a582a4f8f5f.jpg

What brand is it?

Planet Bike Is the brand, Protege 5.0 is the model. I had the local bike shop order mine because a return for a faulty unit seemed like it would be easier but it was fine. I talked someone else into one and their internet ordered one was defective but they sent him another one without even a return. To reset it to zero you push the unit forward. I had to shim mine as it wouldn’t stay tight enough on the bars to allow you to push it forward without rotating. It’s very accurate as it has an optional calibration method where you pump your tires to riding pressure, sit on the bike, roll a complete revolution of the wheel, measure that distance and put that in the cyclometer. You can also find your wheel and tire combo in the cyclometer data and use that, but it’s more accurate to put in your own data. My riding distance is always more than the cell phones with Strava or Map My Ride. I had to use a small wood shim that is held to the seat stay to get the pickup close enough to the spoke magnet. The shim is held in place with Sho Goo and cable ties and has never come loose
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Planet Bike Is the brand, Protect 5.0 is the model. I had the local bike shop order mine because a return for a faulty unit seemed like it would be easier but it was fine. I talked someone else into one and their internet ordered one was defective but they sent him another one without even a return. To reset it to zero you push the unit forward. I had to shim mine as it wouldn’t stay tight enough on the bars to allow you to push it forward without rotating. It’s very accurate as it has an optional calibration method where you pump your tires to riding pressure, sit on the bike, roll a complete revolution of the wheel, measure that distance and put that in the cyclometer. You can also find your wheel and tire combo in the cyclometer data and use that, but it’s more accurate to put in your own data. My riding distance is always more than the cell phones with Strava or Map My Ride. I had to use a small wood shim that is held to the seat stay to get the pickup close enough to the spoke magnet. The shim is held in place with Sho Goo and cable ties and has never come looseView attachment 116868.View attachment 116867
Cool. Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Back