Let’s see big fat white letter BMX style 26 tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wanting a big fat (preferably white letter) black wall tire that will fit a normal 26 X 2.125 rim, not the 3” and 4” rims. I’m wanting a fat look for my Schwinn Strandie build.

I’d rather have more of an aggressive street tread, but I would consider a knobby tire.

I’m out of the loop on this style tire and hoping you guys could help.

The only blackwall with white lettering I know of is the 26 x 3 Duro Beach Bums. I put a set on a Dyno a few years ago:
51108_ef96b3e41d08e3de578176b71b3d0b2a.jpg

I like the 26 x 2.35 Kenda Small Block 8 too.

Attachments

• 8F6254E8-B409-4CF8-9E66-494745F97762.jpeg
    8F6254E8-B409-4CF8-9E66-494745F97762.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 145
When I was shopping for rubber for the RockRat, I fell down into the ol rabbit hole. It's amazing how many tires are available for a wheel size that the MTB industry declared "dead" years ago! Ended up buying a used set from another user here...

I’m really liking the look of those Beach Bums!
The ride is good on those also.
On bikes that may not be large enough for the 26 x 3, I suggest 24 x 3. With the big tires, you almost get 26" of height. On this 53 CWC, it normally had 26 x 2.125. These are the 24" 3G 57mm wheels.
CWC 53.jpg

Last edited:
I'd wager that the Maxxis is better rubber too
Probably, but really Maxxis is just CST/Cheng Shin.

I have not given Duro a second chance. I had a set of them about six years ago and the case was so poorly manufactured, I felt like I was riding one of those loopy wheels that has different size spokes. Have they improved?

I know the Maxxis dhr was redesigned about five years ago, things got WAYYYY better for the dhs2. But my tire demands have changed over the years, I mangled my shoulder in a motorcycle accident, so I don't point it downhill anymore. Can't get the arms out in front of me like I used to. I find the bikes I lean towards are more touring or bikepacking style (minus all the ugly braze ons) as opposed to "modern Geo" with it's downhill bias.
To give you an idea of what I am talking about, 2019 Jamis Dragonslayer 26+ is just about perfect for me: I'd love one set up geared with the plus tires and a second set of 27.5s for singlespeed fun. Or Specialized Fuse. Or Karate Monkey. Honzo is right on the edge, almost too modern...

Edit: apologies for yet another mtnbike sidetrack by Matti...

Last edited:
Karate Monkey

Talking bikes on a bike forum is never off track. I have a personal answer to the rigid 29er SS, based on an inexpensive asian frame, built up with proper parts/wheels that cost me under $500. Granted, I had a great manufacturer hook-up on the hubset, shop employee discounts and a fair amount ofpatience to get the Shimano XT parallel push stoppers, but a sub-$1000 ripper is always nice to rock.

Latest posts

Back