Show me your Kick Scooters

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schwinn Boy:
I'll get you started. Here is a Kent scooter. It's probably from the 1980's. Tires are 12-1/2 X 2-1/4. Wheelbase is 35 inches. BMX-style stem and handlebars. Caliper brakes fore and aft.
Have fun!

scooter1.jpg
scooter2.jpg

Not mine, but I always wanted a Dyno Zoot Scoot.
Dyno-GT-Zoot-Scoot-Freestyle-Scooter-old-school.jpg

I love the mini kick stand! Apparently, BMX restorers are scooping them up for the retro parts like brakes, bars, and levers.

I also have given some thought to making one. Schwinn makes an adult scooter as do the Amish people.
81rTC2I9BnL._AC_SX425_.jpg

upload_2020-3-6_7-34-37.jpeg

I want one using the wheels and tires from a fatbike that is easy to push. (Kickbike Fatmax)
images

From what I've read, the height of the footboard should be pretty close to the ground or it makes pushing difficult. The Schwinn's has been complained about as being too high off the ground.

I had one of these stingray scooters, but it was way too heavy:
images

Last edited:
I also have given some thought to making one. Schwinn makes an adult scooter as do the Amish people.
81rTC2I9BnL._AC_SX425_.jpg

View attachment 114887

I want one using the wheels and tires from a fatbike that is easy to push. (Kickbike Fatmax)
images

From what I've read, the height of the footboard should be pretty close to the ground or it makes pushing difficult. The Schwinn's has been complained about as being too high off the ground.

I had one of these stingray scooters, but it was way too heavy:
images
Interesting point about the deck height being a factor in how nice it rides. I'll have to factor that into my design.

Interesting point about the deck height being a factor in how nice it rides. I'll have to factor that into my design.

If your going to make a downhill scooter, deck height should be about 5"+ or so. If your making a "kick" scooter, deck height should be around 2.5 - 3"...anything higher and you won't last very long riding it, your knees and muscles will be screaming for relief in a short distance. You should switch kicking legs about every 5-7 kicks..This is done for the benefit of the leg knee BENDING on the deck...Test it for your self. Stand at your kitchen counter (for balance). Do "quarter" squats on ONE leg.. See how many you can do, you'll be surprised how little. That's how long you'll last on a scooter with a high deck.

Second thing is: Use quality wheels with high end bearings. Use high PSI tires. The chrome Kickbike (first pic I posted) has Alexrims DA22 with kevlar belted tires pumped up to 110psi. It takes very little effort to get it rolling.

If your making a scooter for "show", the above suggesting's really won't matter..You'll notice that even the scooter I did for BO12 has quality wheels and bearings and a low deck..It rolls nicely and it's comfortable..

Good Luck...have some FUN

That switching legs thing ain't necessary if you are a sk8boarder. I can do about a million lunges with my right leg, not so much with my left.
#goofyfoot4life

That switching legs thing ain't necessary if you are a sk8boarder. I can do about a million lunges with my right leg, not so much with my left.
#goofyfoot4life
Aren't you afraid you'll get one leg stronger than the other...and then walk in circles?..I can't talk about sk8boarding...I do know that if you don't switch legs scooting, you'll tire out....but heh, I'm old.

Aren't you afraid you'll get one leg stronger than the other...and then walk in circles?..I can't talk about sk8boarding...I do know that if you don't switch legs scooting, you'll tire out....but heh, I'm old.
Been sk8ting with one foot forward for about 35 years. I guess the whole "walking in circles" thing could explain a lot about my life...

I always liked and wanted one of thos old school style scooters. I've had an idea kicking in my head since I was in middle school to build a gas powered scooter from a bike frame and at least keep the 26" wheel on the back. I had concerns of ride hieght and length.

Check out this scooter build

My dad made us the one we had as kids. It's still around, I get nervous when my kids ride it. Next time I'm over there, I'll try to find it.

I liked the old style scooters from when I was about 5 years old. I'd like to see a version that was big but kept the same design. Maybe with 20 x 4" tires:

il_794xN.2120946704_7frk.jpg
that's what I'd want to build. I think wheelbarrow wheels would be good as scaled up versions of those.

I thought of that too, the wheels would look just like the white wheels with solid rubber tires from the old scooters, just bigger and fatter. The weight might be an issue though. I'll see what I can find when I get to my new neighborhood. Fabrication of everything won't be a problem. Where I'm going is famous for fabricating all kinds of things. The shop that made my grill says they can make anything. I'm thinking about using stainless tubing.
4.80+4.00-8+Wheelbarrow+Wheel+w+Ball+Bearings_L.jpg

Latest posts

Back