What have you been riding lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D1F7B3CC-F58C-4938-A3C0-ACC94E62F912.jpeg
3607CAF4-2180-4D21-BDDC-A5B415B1DB09.jpeg
0D6D9076-4D80-47CB-BF91-19CDAF5FCF6E.jpeg
DAC93D21-B230-4046-904E-B72A027A25F6.jpeg
46 degrees in upstate NY on December 27th???

I’m ridin’ the mule!!!!

‘Bout 14 miles. Some wind. Almost killed me since I’m just doing indoor cardio. Lol

Syracuse skyline from Onondaga Lake Park West Shore Trail, just past amphitheater.

TREK 3900

764CF98A-468F-41EF-8099-020227539C1D.jpeg
34C0A0F1-2B29-420E-ADF9-C9DEF744DEC3.jpeg
E02C5801-57E3-415A-B39C-810A2AF54F34.jpeg
50 degrees in upstate NY in January???? 30 mph winds. hmm.... go to the gym and stare at a wall and do cardio for an hour-ten or get out the mule and battle a nasty wind?

I pumped my tires up to 70 pounds and hit the bricks. The wind was actually not that bad; only about a half mile out of 14 with a dead head wind. The rest was cross wind, tail wind or broke up by trees.

Pics from the north side of Onondaga Lake. If u look close u can see the amphitheater on the other side. I ride up around there on my trail rides. Do a few concerts in the summer there as well.

A Chapelli Hipster bike free from Craigslist-
It's an Australian designed, ChiCom made $300.00 "city bike". SA 3 speed, acceptable parts.
I'm really starting to like this bike- zippy and comfortable. It is looking different- I flipped the bars, changed the ... hatchet for a Velo Orange saddle and tried out a chainguard. The original tiny Wellgo pedals were swapped for some East German block pedals. I am waiting for an expensive tail light and a cheap headlight. The Wald splash guard will have to do until I find some chrome lightweight fenders. The brake cables were set up so stylishly short that both lever adjusters were bent!

new-bars-jpg.1062857

A Chapelli Hipster bike free from Craigslist-
It's an Australian designed, ChiCom made $300.00 "city bike". SA 3 speed, acceptable parts.
I'm really starting to like this bike- zippy and comfortable. It is looking different- I flipped the bars, changed the ... hatchet for a Velo Orange saddle and tried out a chainguard. The original tiny Wellgo pedals were swapped for some East German block pedals. I am waiting for an expensive tail light and a cheap headlight. The Wald splash guard will have to do until I find some chrome lightweight fenders. The brake cables were set up so stylishly short that both lever adjusters were bent!

new-bars-jpg.1062857
Cool. Free too woohoo! Hey you could bob that rear fender, it'd be cool. Show some more pics. I like the guard on there in that pic too. It's fun mixing a bike up, you should get in the March Shootout, no rules. Well hardly any...

Carl.

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

Fenders are there to keep that racing stripe of mud off your back and to keep your shoes and socks from getting soaked in the rain. I think most bike fenders are too darn short as it is. No bobbing for me! I like a good looking bike but I like a practical one even more. I think the chainguard is off of some 1960s Raleigh product- a very similar one showed up on a Raleigh muscle bike I saw somewhere.

It's been warm for the last two weeks, above freezing and snowing almost every day. I've never seen weather like this, above freezing and snowing. The snow stays, despite the warmth as there has been no sun, and the deep snowpack keeps it cold enough for it just to become wet new snow. I have been riding my fat bike but a few days ago it got too slippery in the ruts and I fell a few times. I have been riding 30 miles a day and towards the end I get weak and my mind is so distracted that I don't notice the ruts until I crash. Yesterday I rode 30 miles on my studded tire ice bike. It worked well but it got soft so I sunk in places where the cars and snowmobiles chewed up the hard pack. I left the ice bike out overnight so I could just jump on it this morning. It is 33F and snowed about 3 - 4 inches overnight, too much snow for the ice bike and too slippery for the fat bike. I'll have to ride the trainer today, which I hate. Here is my ice bike this morning. I love the Walmart Schwinn seat. With two padded shorts I can sit on it for 5 hours, which is what it takes me to ride 30 miles in the snow. It's hard for younger working people to get the miles of someone who is retired. This keeps me out of trouble, dang.
DSCN0295.JPG

You said it, US, it's tough for us "young" folk to keep up with you. I get tired and cold just reading your posts! My job has nothing to do with it, my generation is a fraction of yours. Much respect, sir!

It's been warm for the last two weeks, above freezing and snowing almost every day. I've never seen weather like this, above freezing and snowing. The snow stays, despite the warmth as there has been no sun, and the deep snowpack keeps it cold enough for it just to become wet new snow. I have been riding my fat bike but a few days ago it got too slippery in the ruts and I fell a few times. I have been riding 30 miles a day and towards the end I get weak and my mind is so distracted that I don't notice the ruts until I crash. Yesterday I rode 30 miles on my studded tire ice bike. It worked well but it got soft so I sunk in places where the cars and snowmobiles chewed up the hard pack. I left the ice bike out overnight so I could just jump on it this morning. It is 33F and snowed about 3 - 4 inches overnight, too much snow for the ice bike and too slippery for the fat bike. I'll have to ride the trainer today, which I hate. Here is my ice bike this morning. I love the Walmart Schwinn seat. With two padded shorts I can sit on it for 5 hours, which is what it takes me to ride 30 miles in the snow. It's hard for younger working people to get the miles of someone who is retired. This keeps me out of trouble, dang.View attachment 113000

As a fellow retiree, I too enjoy the ability to ride everyday and get the miles in.

Although, I'm glad that there's no need for studded and snow tires here in eastern North Carolina.

You said it, US, it's tough for us "young" folk to keep up with you. I get tired and cold just reading your posts! My job has nothing to do with it, my generation is a fraction of yours. Much respect, sir!
I could never keep up with my mom and dad cross country skiing because they were retired. They lived two blocks away from a groomed ski trail and walked to it. They would ski that in the morning, have a snack, pack some food and discuss where to take an afternoon road trip to ski in the afternoon. They usually skied twice a day and had many retired friends who they went with to ski. Once in the 1970s I took a winter vacation and skied 100 miles in 4 days. I didn't have a night lighted trail but they did so if it snowed they could wait for the groomer and then ski under lights. I also usually skied 40 to 50 miles each weekend that I could get away or that the weather allowed for grooming. I think I got around 600 miles in a winter, but never much more. My parents got twice that in their 70s. My dad retired when he was 68 so all this mileage occurred when they were late 60s and 70s. One of their friends is pushing 90 and still skiing. He was USA master's ski jumping champion. In his 60s he skied across Finland, several different times. Two gals in their 60s that I ride bicycles with recently skied across Greenland, but anyone who knows them wasn't surprised by this. I told a friend that they asked across Greenland and he said "oh, that's just Joan and Anna, what did you expect". People are doing some crazy stuff for adventure. People up here in the North spend a lot of time outside. There is a lot to do.
Watch Ski Jumping

Go to the Out House Races.
70328005.jpg

Go to the Heikki Lunta (Hank Snow) Finnish snow god festival.
Heikki+Lunta+2019+(WLUC)+-.PNG

Go to the I 500 Snowmobile Race
i500daytime.jpg

Do a winter swim, or watch
images-2.jpeg

See the snow statues
images-3.jpeg

Latest posts

Back