Studebaker Pedal Car

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup. Bubble top. It's easy. Just ask Ed
rotar-1.jpg

Or George
Roach-Coach-15.jpg

No bubbles please Mr Welk, I like the Du Vall roadster windshield idea better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was sarcasming. I actually watched a show where they were restoring a Barris bubble car. The plexiglass dome was nearly impossible to recreate. Basically, George just heated the stuff and inflated it, and relied on luck to get the right shape. Many many attempts to get it right.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was sarcasming. I actually watched a show where they were restoring a Barris bubble car. The plexiglass dome was nearly impossible to recreate. Basically, George just heated the stuff and inflated it, and relied on luck to get the right shape. Many many attempts to get it right.

Did they not have the original piece to make a mold from? There was a guy in FL who made custom bubble canopies at very reasonable prices that I was going to use, but he died and it seems his business went with him. The man could make anything from some fairly basic measurements. Would get really hot on a pedal car.

For a moment, I thought the drivetrain would bind on turns, but then I realized they both have freewheels for the difference in rotational speeds. This thing is really cool!

I would put a bar holding the cranks in place (the part that is usually resting in the BB housing). Otherwise there will be some flex for sure, you should eliminate it. Also you will need a way to switch both gear levers at the same time.

I remember when you started building this, So awesome to see it in this form. Coolest build I've seen in a loooooong time

The dash for the pedal car is from a 1925 Dodge Brothers sedan. It was one of the more expensive parts for this project, but it's so narrow, I thought it would fit perfect. I even bought the DB key on eBay, so that in the future, I can hook up the lights or other power to the ignition switch.
IMG_9471.JPG
IMG_9472.JPG

Great to catch up on your build thread. It's exciting to see this thing bouncing all over the web. This is truly an EPIC build man!!! Keep it coming!

Yeah, when I read threads like these, I realize that I'm just bolting parts to frames. Remember the Streamliner from the last Build Off? Or TRM tanks? Or the journey that is a Carl/Merle build? Jake's Big Wing muscle bike? Papa's Taxi? I just read Kingfish's entire Beer Run thread, got so many ideas. You guys are awesome!

If that had a rear engine, it would be fun with the rear engine and skinny tires. I rode a tadpole trike that was not meant for speed. The front wheels kept hopping and pulling 2 wheelers when I took immediate tight turns at speed. Not to this particular vehicle, of course, but a fiberglass version with a small gas engine and a solid rear diff would be fun to throw around.

Man, this just one of the coolest builds on this site! That Studebaker looks like a ton of fun to pedal around! It makes me want to be a kid again so I could ride around in all the pedal cars my dad collected over the years. Those were fun times...

Latest posts

Back