Long-time Lurker, First-time Poster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

My name’s Austin. I got into bicycles back in March 2018 when I bought an early 1950s Schwinn for $65 at an auction. Fast-forward to today, and I now have 5 bikes that I’m working on, each in varying stages of completion: my first bike, a 1950/1951 Schwinn Spitfire, a late-50s/60s AMF-built Western Flyer Sonic Flyer my Grandpa gave to me as a gift, a mini muscle bike that I need help identifying, a rusty 1950s Schwinn Straightbar frame that used to be a mailbox post, and my Nana’s 1965 Schwinn Hollywood that I’m cleaning up for her. I also have accumulated a small stash of bicycle frames and parts, some that I’m keeping for my own projects, and some I’d like to sell or trade.

I was born and raised in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which has been my home for nearly 27 years now. I’ve always had a passion for art and animation, having grown up on ‘90s/early-2000s Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, and even Kids WB. I just graduated college a few years ago with an AAS in Digital Media, which sadly hasn’t made landing a job in animation/graphic design any easier. Nevertheless, I continue to pursue a career that puts my creativity and imagination to work, and I still make it a point to work on my art and improve my skills as often as I can.

Like some other folks here, I grew up around classic cars, car shows, swap meets, races and all other forms of vintage Americana. I even have a 1964 Mercury Comet 404 4-door sedan that I’ve driven the entire length of Route 66 as of 2018! However, since my Comet’s had to sit in the garage since late 2018, I’ve been putting more time into working on these old bikes of mine. I actually found this forum not long after I got my first Schwinn, and I’ve been inspired by all the talented builders here.

I’m really glad to be here, and I’m excited to learn more about classic bicycles and bicycle customization from you guys!

By the way, I looked at the “how to post photos” guide, but since Photobucket decided to change things for the worse, and I don’t know much about ImageShack, what image-hosting site would you all recommend I use, if necessary?

Lol also a graphic designer/animator not currently using education. Just the way it is. As for image hosting, not needed. When typing your post, a button that says "Upload a File". Click, select your image, select"Full Image" and post your reply. You might need to have five or ten posts before you can do links and images. It's a feature to prevent spammers.

Edit: I'm not an expert, not sure how that picture of Charlie got there, but that's what happens when you go with a thumbnail instead of the full image

Attachments

• A98-CK@RepackT2.jpg
    [email protected]
    86.3 KB · Views: 132
Welcome aboard!
I post right from my computer with no hosting site. Pics will help to ID your bikes here. There's a lot of knowledgable folks here. I've got a file of all the serial number info I could find on these classic bikes. I only have room for one bike in my condo, a 42 Hawthorne. I used to have a garage full of bikes and parts. It grew overnight somehow. You'll see.
I just finished college too, last November, but am already retired so I just volunteer if I need to do something. But there is more opportunity out there than in recent years, so you should have something worthwhile come along pretty soon.
My first car was a 62 Comet. 50 bucks in 1976! I did a paper on it and got an "A"!
images

Your 64 would make a great ratrod. I would make it a tribute to Route 66.

Lol also a graphic designer/animator not currently using education. Just the way it is. As for image hosting, not needed. When typing your post, a button that says "Upload a File". Click, select your image, select"Full Image" and post your reply. You might need to have five or ten posts before you can do links and images. It's a feature to prevent spammers.

Edit: I'm not an expert, not sure how that picture of Charlie got there, but that's what happens when you go with a thumbnail instead of the full image
Glad to know I'm not the only one to know the struggle. Alright! I'll try that out here then. Thanks!

Welcome aboard!
I post right from my computer with no hosting site. Pics will help to ID your bikes here. There's a lot of knowledgable folks here. I've got a file of all the serial number info I could find on these classic bikes. I only have room for one bike in my condo, a 42 Hawthorne. I used to have a garage full of bikes and parts. It grew overnight somehow. You'll see.
I just finished college too, last November, but am already retired so I just volunteer if I need to do something. But there is more opportunity out there than in recent years, so you should have something worthwhile come along pretty soon.
My first car was a 62 Comet. 50 bucks in 1976! I did a paper on it and got an "A"!
images

Your 64 would make a great ratrod. I would make it a tribute to Route 66.
Cool, thanks! Was that a file you put together yourself, or was that something you found? Sounds like a helpful tool for identifying classic bikes. Funny, I've got a similar era Hawthorne frame that I'm hoping to sell/trade with a bunch of other parts and frames. Do you have any pics of yours? I'd love to see it! And yeah, in just 2 short years, I've found just how quickly bicycles multiply! Thanks, it's tough to stay optimistic about finding a job right now, but I'm doing better at committing to the hunt. Cool! I've got a buddy in Sapulpa with a similar '63 Comet. Good looking year! And $50 in '76? That's a bargain! I don't suppose you'd still have your Comet, or at least the paper you wrote on it, would you?

I would show you a picture of my Comet, but I guess I need to make a few more posts before I can do that. Mine's not much of a rat rod, really. She's more of a stock survivor. Hopefully once I get her running again, I can install a trailer hitch on her so I can haul my bikes along with it!

My Comet was sold to the junkyard, but I should have kept it and fixed it.
I've been saving the serial number lists when ever I find one that looks legit. Features of the bikes are also a good way to ID them.
Hawthornes were either made by Snyder (made Rollfast bikes), like mine, or CWC (Cleveland Welding Company, who made Roadmasters). Here's the bare frame as I got it:
45096_4a5ffeefa77beed75823306a42fb7d2c - Copy.jpg

As it is now:
DSCI0034.JPG

My Comet was sold to the junkyard, but I should have kept it and fixed it.
I've been saving the serial number lists when ever I find one that looks legit. Features of the bikes are also a good way to ID them.
Hawthornes were either made by Snyder (made Rollfast bikes), like mine, or CWC (Cleveland Welding Company, who made Roadmasters). Here's the bare frame as I got it:
View attachment 111570
As it is now:
View attachment 111571
Aaaaawww, sorry to hear that.
Makes sense.
I've heard of CWC, Roadmasters and Rollfast before, but I haven't heard of Snyder before. I'm going to have to research them at some point.
WOW! That Hawthorne is a beauty! How much time and effort did it take to turn it into what it is today? Also, how do you keep the tires clean? I've got some cream-colored tires I'm putting on my Schwinn Spitfire, but they're obviously used.

Wait, there's an actual "Comet" bicycle? Cool! I was actually referring to a car, not a bike, but how cool would it be to haul a classic Comet bike with a classic Comet car!
Hawthorne Comet
DSCF2635.jpg

Canadian Comet (?)
images.jpeg

There's also a Comet by Gary Fisher, Stevens, jamis, Alpina, James, Ridgeback.
Then there's Komet...

Latest posts

Back